Reply 1
um curleys wife...what do you think?
Reply 2
Slim
Reply 3
If Slim comes up I'm f**cked
:woo:
Reply 4
I hope Curleys wife, what do you write about for Slim?!
I've been told Curley's Wife because there isn't much the could ask in the context part about Slim, is there?
Reply 6
My teacher said it's gonna be Slim or George because Slim HAS come up however not for a LONG time and George is actually quite hard so he told me to revise until i can't stop saying the word George
Reply 7
Original post by lil-mazie
My teacher said it's gonna be Slim or George because Slim HAS come up however not for a LONG time and George is actually quite hard so he told me to revise until i can't stop saying the word George

But didn't George and Lennie come up last year?
Reply 8
Original post by Lizy
um curleys wife...what do you think?

Yeah I think and I'm hoping Curly's wife will come up.
Reply 9
Hoping curleys wife. Before we left I wrote a practice essay on her :P
I really hope its curly's wife. she stands for the way women where objectified during the great depression and frequently uses "i'm looking for curly" as an excuse to talk to the other men of the ranch and gain some freedom, showing how oppressed she is by curly. anyone agree with this? i am skitzing it for my literature exam!
what planning frame are you all using for part B? Because i don't understand where to add form into the context :s-smilie:
what is the usual format of the exam? like 15 marks on an extract and 15 marks for the rest of the book? this wasn't really explained to me :s
Original post by iJess
Hoping curleys wife. Before we left I wrote a practice essay on her :P

hey what did you get for your practice paper? if so could you upload it tah
Reply 14
Original post by No brainer1
hey what did you get for your practice paper? if so could you upload it tah

A high B, but my teacher has it
Reply 15
Original post by Rose393
But didn't George and Lennie come up last year?

yeah but it will be George by himself, maybe a passage without Lennie
My teacher said crooks or curly's wife or really unlikely candy but candy came up last year however the a level aqa used the same character this year and last year ... Hopefully curlys wife though
hopefully George, or prejudice on crooks and curleys wife would be cool. Either way if i fail this exam its worth around 50%? so il fail the whole thing haha FML
Reply 18
Everyones hoping for Curleys wife, here are some last minute pointers!!

Curley’s wife is the only main female character and she does not have a name, showing the derogatory nature in which men viewed women at that time.
She is only presented as a possession belonging to her husband, Curley’s trophy wife. Women are a temptation to men.
Lennie and George’s dream does not include women.
The first reference to Curley’s wife is when Candy describes her to George as a “tart,” suggesting she is provocative.
The “red fingernails… rouged lips… red mules… red feathers” that she is wearing could also symbolise danger.
Steinbeck, reinforces the vulnerable view of Curley’s wife when she “hurried away” seconds after hearing about Curley’s whereabouts.
She interrupts Lennie’s, Crook’s and Candy’s daydreaming, she destroys dreams.
She is mean and says how the other men “left all the weak ones here.”
Curley’s wife created an uncomfortable atmosphere at the end of the scene when the horses “snorted” and the “halter chains rattled.”
Curley’s wife then talks to Lennie.
The way that Curley’s wife insists on Lennie talking to her shows her desperation.
Curley’s wife knows that Lennie isn’t listening to her as she confides in him making it more tragic.
Lennie moves “cautiously close to her.” And ends up killing her
We feel sorry for her as she dies.
The redness now symbolises beauty, not danger
The moment of peace after her death shows that she has broken free of the cycle.

Good Luck guys
Reply 19
isnt there a chance slim could come up ??

Quick Reply