The Student Room Group

WJEC BY1 and BY2 Summer 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by liamdunne
Why would it be a root hair cell if the arrow was pointing to the outer layer containing the xylem and the phloem tissue? Surely the endodermis is the right answer as the epidermis (where the root hair cells are) is on the outside and nowhere near the tissues! Thus, I drew a diagram of the endodermis with the casparian strip. My hint was the aforementioned above but I also saw in the question something like; "clearly label the special, important feature..." and the casparian strip makes sense there what with the question underneath it too! :cool:

SAME! I was like thats got to be the casparian band. I also said it was made of suberin and its waterproof :smile: wasnt too sure in the exam though
Original post by Ysondrae
Yeah, imo WJEC do some weird mark schemes sometimes :s-smilie:
I didn't put that, but it could be right :smile: I put something about the person having an increased heart beat rate because it'd be working harder to try and get the blood out without the blood backflowing into the ventricles again :s-smilie:

Lol yes they do.
That makes sense as well, hopefully it is right! Just depends on whether they were looking for anything wierdly in particular or not, which I can't think of anyway. :biggrin:
Reply 142
It's really annoying that we spend so much time revising for these exams and then more than half of the topics don't even come up. The diagrams we had to label were horrible and I know I've already lost so many marks :/
Reply 143
Original post by Deceptively
I think it was A - tricuspid, B - bicuspid, C - semi-lunar.
(Not sure if A and B were the other way around - tricuspid was whichever one out of the top two had three flaps, bicuspid had two.)

very easy marks on that exam! :smile:
Reply 144
Original post by casparianStrip

Wait, wha- *goes to re-check*

Hmm, are you sure, because the website I got it from says that it's a cross section of a root, here.

Oh well, no point in brooding over it I guess. WTH, is a goblet cell, anyways? :frown:

this is the TS of a root
http://images.tutorvista.com/content/plant-histology/dicot-root-cross-section.jpeg
DUnno about that website...in all my revision i used that as the diagram for the TS of the stem. I found that exact same diagram on google images under TS of a stem...its a sunflower stem. Not that it really matters, but im positive that diagram is not of a root...its completely different to the one in the exam paper anyway.

Awful question :/
Whoops, didn't realise this thread had gone on to so many pages...

Original post by D4rth
That paper was awful, what the hell was with those stupid pictures? That's just ridiculous, I'm all for diagrams but atleast have something clear and not stupid, especially the heart question, I originally had the tri and bi valves but then I changed it, the rest of the question relies on you knowing what the hell the picture is, especially for the intestine one. We weren't even taught half the stuff, what the hell is a goblet cell? I've never heard of that until today.

I'm afraid that's your teacher's error - goblet cells are definitely in the study guide; our teacher spent like a week just telling us over and over again that they're called goblet cells because they're (apparently) shaped like a 1920s wine glass, so I wasn't exactly going to forget that... I agree with the buttercup microscope picture; they should've shown the entire cross-section, not just the middle bit, or they should've specified. The heart one was a little enigmatic but I've seen far worse diagrams and I think it's reasonable for them to expect us to recognise bi- and tricuspid valves, honestly...

Original post by Ysondrae
I put something similar too :smile: That question about the symptoms a person would have etc etc... what did you put?

I put shortness of breath... considered writing heart murmur, though. Anyone put that? I reckon that's correct, actually, looking it up... not that that's even on the spec.

Original post by mattmattmatt
I am amazed at how little content was actually covered in this paper. Dentition, Biodiversity and evolution, internal and external fertilisation, most of digestion, ruminants, oxygen-dissociation stuff, chloride shift, cardiac cycle, features of the classes and phyla (insects, arthropods, annelids etc.) were all missed out. WJEC just love to ask huge questions about the smallest topics, which have less than a sentence dedicated to them in the revision guides (which, btw, are useless).

This is totally true, I wrote this in an earlier post. The revision/study guide is reall useful though - just only for exams, not for actual biology. If you learn everything in that guide and nothing else, that's basically all they expect in the exam. But that also means that, for example on essay questions, they want you to write things that are totally unrelated to the question, just because they're on the same page in the study guide.
Reply 146
I said in an earlier post before the exam that there'd be microscope/diagram labels, but i wasnt expecting it to be half the paper. I don't think it was as hard as everyones making it out to be, or just that some of you have some pretty naff teachers as surely diagrams are a priority for revision? What did evert one put for the function of the heart label which i think was coronary artery?
Reply 147
what was D and E on the villus question? Do you think they'll accept artery and vein?
Original post by ExAmZ
what was D and E on the villus question? Do you think they'll accept artery and vein?

I am wondering that too. Seeing as they asked you to identify the type of blood vessel that seems to be the correct answer. :smile:
Original post by sjbdbz
I said in an earlier post before the exam that there'd be microscope/diagram labels, but i wasnt expecting it to be half the paper. I don't think it was as hard as everyones making it out to be, or just that some of you have some pretty naff teachers as surely diagrams are a priority for revision? What did evert one put for the function of the heart label which i think was coronary artery?

My teacher hardly emphasised diagrams. Why are they so hard to interpret though? The sample diagrams that we get look nothing like the microscope photographs. Some are not even remotely similar!
I am wondering that too. Seeing as they asked you to identify the type of blood vessel that seems to be the correct answer. :smile:

I put arterioles and venuoles, because they were too thin to be ateries and veins?
Reply 151

Thanks! I really hope they allow it!
do u think they'd allow endothelium instead of epithelium??
any ideas on what the symptom would be of a person who had a failing bicuspid valve? I put a lower blood pressure/ weaker pulse?
Reply 153
What were the two functions of the epithelium cell and their features or something?
also what were the three features of the xerophyte leaf? They had sunken stomata, a thick cuticle annddd????? i guessed and put that the leaf was rolled but that wasn't really shown in the diagram....
Reply 155
Wht did you guys label for the blood vessel being taken to and from the alveoli I just wrote artery and vein but thinking now I think we had to be specific about Wht artery and vein it was ie like the pulmonary artery
Reply 156
Original post by romalaification
also what were the three features of the xerophyte leaf? They had sunken stomata, a thick cuticle annddd????? i guessed and put that the leaf was rolled but that wasn't really shown in the diagram....

i put it has hairs, rolled, leaf, sunken stomata
Reply 157

Yea you got them all, do you know why it wasn't really shown? It's because whoever wrote this paper is an idiot.

I don't know how anyone could call this paper an biology exam, it didn't rely on your scientific knowledge, it relied on your ability to look at some ambiguous images to try and deduce what the examiner wants, I've just been through all my notes and in all, out of like 80+ pages there was about 4-5 maybe relevant on the exam, other past papers have been so much better, this was just stupid.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I put arterioles and venuoles, because they were too thin to be ateries and veins?

I have seen a similar question and they accepted arteries and veins.
Reply 159
Ahh, I messed up the Cell C thing.
Put Casparian Strip instead of Endodermis. Although, when talking about the function I basically wrote about pathways. E.g. not being able transport via apoplast, anybody think I will get some marks?

The whole heart diagram thing threw me off aswell. Poor diagram - Typical WJEC, with their highly specific and inconsistent mark schemes.

Anybody do the Transpiration 10 marker?
I just talked about how wind movement, temperature, light intensity and humidity effect concentration gradient. And for second part just did the whole bubble potometer experiment from Jan 2012 past paper.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending