The Student Room Group

Themes/ important ideas for Of Mice And Men, and An Inspector Calls!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by cardigansandjeans
Haha cool, my teacher said Slim might come up for of mice and men, but im hoping crooks :smile: Yess!! Thats good, i didn't know that, so that is Gerald most definetely ruled out!! Horrary :smile:

Good Luck tomorrow!! :smile:

Wouldn't mind Slim but would also prefer Crooks, there's so much to right about him because of the racial prejudice and also disability(shove in the ranch is a microcosm of society at that time somewhere aswell haha) Good luck to you too!! I'm sure you'll do great :smile:
Original post by James3110
Wouldn't mind Slim but would also prefer Crooks, there's so much to right about him because of the racial prejudice and also disability(shove in the ranch is a microcosm of society at that time somewhere aswell haha) Good luck to you too!! I'm sure you'll do great :smile:

Yeah and about his room :smile: Aw thank you, and you'll do great aswell! Cant wait to get this exam over and done with :smile:
Original post by H.J.P
There's also some extra bits you could consider which are less cliche and will help you get the highest grade possible (like an A*)

E.g. When C's wife dies, the bird flies over her and circles her which could symbolise her finally being freed from the opression and hostilty she faces (also because of her gender).

At the beginning 'a cyote yammerd and a dog answered' could be symbolic of L and G's relationship. L is like the cyote: untamed and wild whereas G is more like the dog - symbolic of companionship (mans best friend) and more domesticated.

If i remeber correctly (this is all off the top of my head) i think theres something about wanting to drown a puppy or a runt or something. Again it could forshadow the ending and also sybolise societies attitude to people like lenny.

The relationshipo betweent he horse and the stable buck.

i miss english... :smile:

Those are very interesting details! Thanks.

I've got this ( on AQA) exam tomorrow - good luck everyone!
Original post by Ketchup!
It's alright, thank you anyway! :smile:
Also what points can be structure? Apart from dashes.
What do you mean by sentence structure?

Like the length of the sentence, whether its a complex sentence with lots of clauses or simple, short sentences. You could also comment on punctuation etc :smile:
what kind of things would you have to say about Slim to get the top marks?
what could you say about slim?

secondly if I'm on 60/60 so far what do i need out of 40 for an A* in this one? I'm feeling really unprepared compared to previous exams (have been focusing on sciences)
Reply 26
Original post by sophie_milton
what kind of things would you have to say about Slim to get the top marks?

erm i would think how he's received high praises from steinbeck even though he's the same class as all the other ranch hands, how he's looked to for a dive such as when candy looks at slim for help when carlson forces him to shot his dog etc..
Reply 27
I was just wondering, for the Of Mice and Men questions do we need an introduction and conclusion for both parts of the question?
I was just wondering, for the Of Mice and Men questions do we need an introduction and conclusion for both parts of the question?

I thought so if they are separate questions?
Reply 29
No problem :smile: Glad to help :smile: Yeah, Sheila has already come up, I think it might be Eric, Mr/Mrs Birling. I just hope it isnt Gerald. Are you doing of mice and men aswell?

Don't worry, Gerald came up in the Jan 2012 Paper. I hope it's not Edna, I hope it is something like "How does Priestley's use of dramatic irony in Mr Birlings monolgue create impact for the readers?" - now that would be easy.
Reply 30
Like the length of the sentence, whether its a complex sentence with lots of clauses or simple, short sentences. You could also comment on punctuation etc :smile:

Alright, thank you :smile:
my teahcer was like make sure you go over gerald hes a difficult character to uneerstand i dont know if she's dropping hints but she wouldnt know the question would she? and plus i hope its the birlings in general i think they would be easier to write about then :smile:
Reply 32
Original post by sheepstick
my teahcer was like make sure you go over gerald hes a difficult character to uneerstand i dont know if she's dropping hints but she wouldnt know the question would she? and plus i hope its the birlings in general i think they would be easier to write about then :smile:

Gerald came up in the January 2012 paper though so I don't think it would be him :smile: She wouldn't know the question!
Gerald came up in the January 2012 paper though so I don't think it would be him :smile: She wouldn't know the question!

thanks lol if it was gerald i'd be screwed hes a strange man lol i ho[e its more like birling or sybil or eric or someone like that :smile:
Reply 34
do they give us a copy of the book?
Reply 35
Original post by Teja_96
do they give us a copy of the book?

Yep :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 36
Original post by higuys1
Yep :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

oh okay theres gonna be alot on the table - a of mice and men book, an inspector calls book and the exam paper. im gonna be faffaling about :P
Reply 37
Original post by Teja_96
oh okay theres gonna be alot on the table - a of mice and men book, an inspector calls book and the exam paper. im gonna be faffaling about :P

Even worse in the poetry paper when you have the question paper, the answer paper and the anthology :P
Thanks this is a great thread!
Reply 39
Even worse in the poetry paper when you have the question paper, the answer paper and the anthology :P

O_0 oh god im gonna die -_-
well im gonna make so much noise the invigilators might disqualify me!! and somethings bound to fall of my table.
Good Luck everyone XD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending