The Student Room Group

OCR Biology F212 (Molecules, Biodiversity, Food and Health)- 21st May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5160
Original post by Flyteryder
The question said 'the two types of variation' which could only be continuous and discontinous', and genetics and environment were already mentioned in the question. You had to talk about continuous and discontinuous variation in terms of the bat table - wing span, body mass, colour, frequency etc and how genetics and the environment influenced these things.

I agree. I instantly knew it couldn't be genetic and environmental variation because it specifically said how does genes and the environment affect these two forms of variation. Also allopatric and sympatric are related to reproductive barriers and throughout the whole questions, nothing about separation and isolation was mentioned.
Original post by Mozz
Lol... A2, I'll be frying chips, flipping burgers and buying a tiny flat in the inner city by then :frown:

Hahahaha! I'll join you on that one!
Reply 5162
Original post by Flyteryder
The day before results day in August.

Not the mark scheme- the grade boundries? i though it was much earlier?

thank you.
Reply 5163
Original post by Amz1217
I though I was running out of time, left the two big markers out, done the back question and animal question then came back to it and found out I had 25 mins for 2 long questions, hehe

That 25 mins for two 7 marks sounds like a leisurely pace compared to my 20 mins to answer 3 pages of questions :frown:
Original post by rukan
Not the mark scheme- the grade boundries? i though it was much earlier?

thank you.

The mark scheme doesn't come out until about March next year. The grade boundaries are out the day before results day. The January 2012 mark schemes still aren't out after 4 months.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by LLYELL
I agree. I instantly knew it couldn't be genetic and environmental variation because it specifically said how does genes and the environment affect these two forms of variation. Also allopatric and sympatric are related to reproductive barriers and throughout the whole questions, nothing about separation and isolation was mentioned.

Could it not be Interspecific and Intraspecific variation? That is two types of variation is it not?

Now I really screwed, because I talked about that for ages.
Original post by LLYELL

So your saying id get marks for saying allopatric/sympatric cuz i wrote like 10 lines of that and ended it with saying it leads to speciation xD
Reply 5167
Original post by otrivine
for the question on reducing i said act as control and allows comparison ?

Yeah, said act as a control and can be seen if temperature has an effect on Agrose
Reply 5168
Original post by undertaker1
what did you put down

similarities
-6 carbon based ring
-contain C,H,O
difference
-amylose made of alpha glucose and agarose made of beta glucose
-for agarose carbon rotated by 180 degree but not in amylose.
I wrote that to just defined them both quickly and went on to allopatric/sympatric
guys was the carbonhydrate glucose?
what did you put down

for amylose similarity i said about 1,4 glcosidic bond make you you said straight or unbranched chain

and the difference i said agarose is branched so there will be 1,6 glycosidic bond remember that they were talking about galactose and agarose have similar properties so i got it from that

i checked the book after the exam and i got it right
I wrote J...:creep:
Original post by Amz1217
Yeah, said act as a control and can be seen if temperature has an effect on Agrose

can you say comparison ? to check difference
and was the carbohydrate glucose?
Reply 5174
Original post by Jay Singh
what did you guys wright for the question about variation i said about discontinuous and continuous variation also what about the induced fit hypothesis like the description and the carbohydrate of galactose i said polysaccharides is that right i firstly wrote down the glucose units but crossed it and wrote polysaccharides please let me know i found these question weird

I talked about continuous and discontinuous variation as well! I initially started to talk about genetic and environmental variation but restarted the question doing continuous and discontinuous. This was because it asked characteristics of each type of variation and I remember seeing a question asking for characteristics of continuous and discontinuous variation before in a past paper. I assumed if it wanted me to talk about genetic or environmental variation it would've asked 'how' these variation were able to come about as oppose to stating characteristics about it. Do you know how the question said to relate back to the bats and their 'pitches', do you reckon I'd have got marks for saying the pitches of the bats (echo... can't remember the word) was continuous variation as continuous variation has intermediates and isn't grouped into set categories, which was like the pitch of the bats as the pitches were intermediate values.
Original post by LETSJaM
Great!

Exams would be so much more fun if we got good marks for answers like that! :goofy:

<3 x

Haha, I know... The last question I answered was the non-reducing sugar one so I was defeated by then and literally wrote, "Get a colorimeter. Plot some stuff on a calibratrion thingy curve and extrapolate something to get some unknown values :K:"

Original post by LETSJaM
They did say quite clearly in the question the two types that are affected by genetic and enviromental factors, so allopatric/sympatric. :tongue:

<3 x

I wish what you wrote above were true as I wrote that too but apparently it's all about discontinuous and continuous variation :redface:
Original post by AS01
similarities
-6 carbon based ring
-contain C,H,O
difference
-amylose made of alpha glucose and agarose made of beta glucose
-for agarose carbon rotated by 180 degree but not in amylose.

how do you know agarose is made up of beta glucose?

your similarities are correct though
Paper was average.. they were just worded badly.. the 7 marker on Variation was a bit tricky though.
Original post by Zaddie Caso
Could it not be Interspecific and Intraspecific variation? That is two types of variation is it not?

Now I really screwed, because I talked about that for ages.

You're thinking about interspecific and intraspecific competition, not variation.
Reply 5179
how do you know agarose is made up of beta glucose?

your similarities are correct though

in question asked before this you said its same as cellulose.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending