The Student Room Group

Shocking Honour Killing Story...

http://www.channel4.com/news/shafilea-ahmeds-sister-saw-parents-kill-her

I have no idea how the parents could have had it in them to commit such a terrible crime and pretend afterwards that nothing had happened.

Hopefully, the Pakistani community will tackle problems like this in the future and prevent further cases like this.

Please no Islamophobic posts, this is done by a tiny minority and should not influence our views on Islam as a whole.

Opinions and thoughts...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by patrickinator

the Pakistani community will tackle

scgkP.jpg
Shocking story, well that is what immigration has done to our country...
Why do you always gotta mention Islam, lol obsessed.

And I don't think it's a "Pakistani problem", the same stuff happens in various different communities across the globe; like India, Congo, Latin America, Brazil (alot of gay honor killings there) and so on.

According to BBC:

The court heard how Alesha had kept quiet for seven years and only told police after she was arrested for taking part in a robbery at her parents' home in Liverpool Road, Warrington.

Although I'm a bit skeptical of this girls statement (because she waited 7 years to tell the Police and the fact she hated her parents to the point of robbing them????), it still seems like it was obviously a messed up family, which is out of the norm.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Perseveranze
I don't think it's a "Pakistani problem", the same stuff happens in various different communities across the globe; like India, Congo, Latin America, Brazil (alot of gay honor killings there) and so on.

Really sad. I agree with you that it is not just a 'Pakistani problem' but certainly it does happen more within Pakistani communities because of the lack of integration into society and the common occurence of these arranged marriages.
RIP
Yeah, its arranged marriages that seem to be the problem.

The court heard how Shafilea was taken to Pakistan by her family in 2003 in an attempt to "force" her into an arranged marriage.
Reply 6
There are many problems with societies that still believe in honour killings, but I as a person cannot persuade them against honour killings, you have things such as acid attacks going on and FGM.

All of this seems to be sparked off by Eastern countries (to an extent most perpertrated of these kinds of crimes are usually from LEDC's), but we cannot tell them how to run their religions, or how to run their society, unfortunately we have to stand by and watch things like this happen and when it happens in England we can take charge of a situation and deal with it after it is too late.
This is just digusting and this is why I hate all religions (well except Bhuddism).
Original post by Bubblyminty
This is just digusting and this is why I hate all religions (well except Bhuddism).

Here we go.

What has this to do with religion? :s-smilie:
Reply 9

Not all religions cause this problem, people used to have arranged marriages to be able to get their daughter into a better social standing then they were before. During the 14th century or so it was considered that people were not given a choice on who they marry, especially females, if they were told they are going to marry someone by her parents she would do that (Look at the context behind Romeo and Juliet). It is just seen as being the faithful daughter, however Westerners have lost this view it may seem strange to the likes of you and I but the idea of it is so that women are suppressed in their choice that they have to listen to the dominant male.

However you can't argue with peoples social norms, they won't change I can assure you...
Original post by Booyah
Not all religions cause this problem, people used to have arranged marriages to be able to get their daughter into a better social standing then they were before.

Yeah, I think that seems more likely.

Ive heard of some other cases where the family were poor, and they forced their daughters to get married to someone wealthier, so they could bring money back home. From what Ive heard its usually to do with getting status/power/money.
(edited 11 years ago)

Why religion? Someone prove to me that Islam supports honour killings?
Original post by SaharaDesert
Here we go.

Everything. People use religious texts and traditions to pursue their own beliefs and desires. Islam allows this, so does Catholicism and pretty every other religion.
Original post by Perseveranze
Why do you always gotta mention Islam, lol obsessed.

And I don't think it's a "Pakistani problem", the same stuff happens in various different communities across the globe; like India, Congo, Latin America, Brazil (alot of gay honor killings there) and so on.

According to BBC:

The court heard how Alesha had kept quiet for seven years and only told police after she was arrested for taking part in a robbery at her parents' home in Liverpool Road, Warrington.

Although I'm a bit skeptical of this girls statement (because she waited 7 years to tell the Police and the fact she hated her parents to the point of robbing them????), it still seems like it was obviously a messed up family, which is out of the norm.

Scarred out her mind. Have some pity. Let the court decide and not make hasty judgements yourself.
Reply 14

This is a cultural issue, and has completely nothing to do with religion. I suggest you don't go around making false assertions without knowing for it to be true.
Original post by sabre2th1
Why religion? Someone prove to me that Islam supports honour killings?

Islam the religion doesn't support honour killings. However it is the custom of the people who are Muslims that commit this. Moreover it is not just Muslims that do this but Christians, Hindus etc. it is just that It is more common in Islam in the UK
Reply 16
First thing to suggest is that this has got nothing to do with ISLAM and secondly although it occurs more in Pakistani families it is important to look at the facts as whole rather than basing it all on one community. It should be seen as a global problem.
Original post by patrickinator
Islam the religion doesn't support honour killings. However it is the custom of the people who are Muslims that commit this. Moreover it is not just Muslims that do this but Christians, Hindus etc. it is just that It is more common in Islam in the UK

Yeah I agree with this.. (and I am a Muslim)
Original post by ManPowa
First thing to suggest is that this has got nothing to do with ISLAM and secondly although it occurs more in Pakistani families it is important to look at the facts as whole rather than basing it all on one community. It should be seen as a global problem.

Thats a powerful quote yo! (your sig)
Reply 19
Original post by SaharaDesert
Here we go.

You serious?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending