The Student Room Group

Higher History

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Scrabble96
Hey, does anyone have any websites/documents that will be able to help with paper 2 techniques for each of the different questions?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

these powerpoints may be helpful

http://www.coatbridge.n-lanark.sch.uk/historydept/s56historyhomework/howfar.ppt

http://www.coatbridge.n-lanark.sch.uk/historydept/s56historyhomework/howfully.ppt
Reply 61

Thanks a million!

Reply 62
hi does anyone who does the cold war section have any historiography for 'how did the soviets react to demands for reform in the eastern bloc?'
Reply 63
has anyone got an outline of how to do an essay on extent of the growth of nationalism in germany by 1850 ? completly confused by this one :s
Reply 64
Original post by BethM917
has anyone got an outline of how to do an essay on extent of the growth of nationalism in germany by 1850 ? completly confused by this one :s

Me too, I've only ever done an essay on the reasons for growth of nationalism :frown:
:confused:
Is anyone doing America? Immigration, kkk, Martin Luther King etc. If so, what do you predict might come up?

Yay! Finally someone else doing USA! :biggrin:

According to the SQA, these are the possible topics:

1. An evaluation of the reasons for changing attitudes towards immigration in the 1920s.
2. An evaluation of the obstacles to the achievement of civil rights for black people up to 1941.
3. An evaluation of the reasons for the economic crisis of 1929-33.
4. An assessment of the effectiveness of the New Deal.
5. An evaluation of the reasons for the development of the Civil Rights campaign, after 1945.
6. An assessment of the effectiveness of the Civil Rights movement in meeting the needs of black Americans, up to 1968.

Having looked at past papers, I don't think that topic 5 will come up because it was in both the 2012 and 2011 papers, but I think it's likely that either 1 or 2 will come up as one of those has been in each past paper since 2007. Other than that, I'll probably learn an essay for topic 6 just to be on the safe side.

Here's a quick list I've made about question frequency which might help you;

Britain

Effectiveness of Liberal Reforms II 2011/2010
Effectiveness of Labour Reforms III 2010/2009/2007
Analysis of Progress of Democracy III 2010/2009/2007
Causes of Liberal Reforms II 2008/2007
Causes of Growth of Democracy II 2011/2008

America

Immigration hostility causes II 2011/2009
Problems faced by black Americans 1920s (M.E.S.) III 2010/2008/2007
Causes of growth of Civil Rights campaigns (50s-60s) II 2011/2010
Reasons for improvements for black Americans (to 1968) II 2010/2008
Success of black radicals (60s) I 2009
Concerns of the Civil Rights campaigns (50s-60s) I 2007

(I've left out the suffragettes & economics for America as we didn't do economics in class and I hate writing about women and the vote)
Reply 66
Original post by Nfergs
Me too, I've only ever done an essay on the reasons for growth of nationalism :frown:

Same! Only just before study leave did we get told we should look at this essay which i don't even remember covering ! :frown:
Reply 67
Original post by JumbleJumble

1. An evaluation of the reasons for changing attitudes towards immigration in the 1920s.
2. An evaluation of the obstacles to the achievement of civil rights for black people up to 1941.
5. An evaluation of the reasons for the development of the Civil Rights campaign, after 1945.
6. An assessment of the effectiveness of the Civil Rights movement in meeting the needs of black Americans, up to 1968.

Having looked at past papers, I don't think that topic 5 will come up because it was in both the 2012 and 2011 papers, but I think it's likely that either 1 or 2 will come up as one of those has been in each past paper since 2007. Other than that, I'll probably learn an essay for topic 6 just to be on the safe side.

Britain

America

(I've left out the suffragettes & economics for America as we didn't do economics in class and I hate writing about women and the vote)

Thanks for your help, it's greatly appreciated. Good luck on Friday! :biggrin: :smile:

I with you both too, USA and Britain. What are you guys expecting to come up I'm praying for Liberals or Labour for Britain because, although I know the development of democracy its not my strong point due to all the dates. I did immigration for my extended essay (which my teacher said was an A so hopefully that helps me a lot) so I don't know if I can do that again? I did civil rights in the pre-lim but didn't answer it correctly causing me to fail(6 out of 20oops haha) so I'm hoping I answer it correctly this time round. What are you most confident in?

Original post by JumbleJumble

Britain

America

Reply 69
Original post by Melancholymelody
I with you both too, USA and Britain. What are you guys expecting to come up I'm praying for Liberals or Labour for Britain because, although I know the development of democracy its not my strong point due to all the dates. I did immigration for my extended essay (which my teacher said was an A so hopefully that helps me a lot) so I don't know if I can do that again? I did civil rights in the pre-lim but didn't answer it correctly causing me to fail(6 out of 20oops haha) so I'm hoping I answer it correctly this time round. What are you most confident in?

I'm probably most confident with the Liberals and Labour. Is it likely that at least the liberal or labour gov will come up? For USA I'm most confident with the Civil Rights groups and immigration 1920s.

I'm probably most confident with the Liberals and Labour. Is it likely that at least the liberal or labour gov will come up? For USA I'm most confident with the Civil Rights groups and immigration 1920s.

I haven't really focused on America yet but I find civil rights easy to write an essay on (excluding the pre-lim haha) I haven't EVER done a depression essay and we haven't revised new deal. I recently did liberal motives for a NAB and got an A so I'm hoping that comes up!
Reply 71
Change of plan for my revision. Seeing as I only really have 3 full days left of revision, I doubt I'd be able to get 6 essays memorised in that time. Normally it would take me a day to just memorise 1, nevermind fit 2 in one day. I think I'm just going to now go for the easier option of typing up essay plans from essays I already have and then memorising those instead since I've wasted 4 days of not revising. :frown:
Reply 72
oh my god man, i have done no revision at all (my fault) and i am freaking out!! does your extended essay make up part of your mark, or... how does that work? i think i'll get an A for it, do they add its grade to your exam grade?
Reply 73
Original post by saskat00n
does your extended essay make up part of your mark, or... how does that work? i think i'll get an A for it, do they add its grade to your exam grade?

The extended essay makes up 30% of your final grade.
Reply 74
Original post by Nfergs
Change of plan for my revision. Seeing as I only really have 3 full days left of revision, I doubt I'd be able to get 6 essays memorised in that time. Normally it would take me a day to just memorise 1, nevermind fit 2 in one day. I think I'm just going to now go for the easier option of typing up essay plans from essays I already have and then memorising those instead since I've wasted 4 days of not revising. :frown:

what german ones are you / have u learnt ? i cant decide which ones to learn :s
Reply 75
what german ones are you / have u learnt ? i cant decide which ones to learn :s

I'm learning issues 2, 4 and 6 since they didn't appear last year and one will have to appear to make it a different paper. If I have time (which I doubt), I might also add in issue 1 since it only appeared last year and not 2010 unlike the other questions that appeared last year. :smile:
Reply 76
Original post by Nfergs
I'm learning issues 2, 4 and 6 since they didn't appear last year and one will have to appear to make it a different paper. If I have time (which I doubt), I might also add in issue 1 since it only appeared last year and not 2010 unlike the other questions that appeared last year. :smile:

Thats a good point! Might do the same , and will see how it goes :smile: Such a pain is germany ... whats your other topic for paper 2?
Reply 77
Thats a good point! Might do the same , and will see how it goes :smile: Such a pain is germany ... whats your other topic for paper 2?

I think you mean 1, and it's Britain. Although if you do mean paper 2, it's the impact of the Great War on Scotland. :biggrin:
Reply 78
Original post by Nfergs
I think you mean 1, and it's Britain. Although if you do mean paper 2, it's the impact of the Great War on Scotland. :biggrin:

Haha i did mean paper 2 saw most people were doing britain earlier :smile: Sounds good .. probably better than treaty of the union !
Reply 79
I love reasons for Liberal reforms, I caress with pleasure the assessment of Liberal reforms, but I find the Labour essay quite repugnant. I really hope that one of the former two appear, along with, for Russia, why the Reds won the Civil War, or the reasons for the 1905 revolution. If issues 4 & 6 appear I will achieve optimum peace of mind.

Quick Reply

Latest