The Student Room Group

Do people ever do better in A2 than at AS?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I did much better in 3/4 of my A levels in A2 than AS
Original post by kidoo
Statistically speaking it is very uncommon for people to achieve a higher grade at A2 than at AS, which is why most universities won't take your predicted A2 grades seriously if they're higher than what you achieved at AS (got told this by a UCAS representative who worded it in a slightly softer fashion)

Can you then explain how I got 5/5 offers, when for 4 of these, my actual AS results were much lower than their average offer?
It depends on the person. Often, with retakes, people can pull their grades up significantly, particularly in arts and humanities subjects due to extra maturity and a better understanding of what the examiner's want.
Well in AS I got BCDU (because of a illness rather than lack of work - althought that was a factor) At the moment after re-sits and some A2 modules I'm on BBC
And I'm doing Sciences btw
Reply 24
Yep I did.

In my sciences I didn't do all that well in AS. I definitely found A2 much easier. It may be because I had become used to a levels and figured out how to get marks etc and I enjoyed the topics more as well. I don't like to moan but I also had much worse teaqchers at AS
Reply 25
Original post by Historophilia
Yup, this happened to me.

Did poorly at AS (C's and B's), did a tranche of retaks but most of them didn't go that well. In one History retake and a Politics I got a C (as I had got the last time), only in my English retake did I get an A.

Then at A2 I destroyed the exams and ended up with two A*s and an A.

I loved reading that. :P
Original post by AGrumpyMole
Hi. Just wondering, if, for example, I got ABBC at AS, what would I be likely to get at A2 after dropping one?

Depends on you I guess. I got a B at Maths AS, but then got an A at A2. But I got an A in Biology at AS and got a B in A2.. so...
Original post by ginister
I loved reading that. :P

Thank you, I busted a gut and ended up being ill basically for the whole summer after but my god it was worth it!
I hope so, I need to do better than I did at AS :frown:
It is possible, but depends heavily on the subjects studied/personality/if personal circumstances change bla bla but all those things set aside, if you commit, dedicate and persevere, then yes it can be.

Spoiler

Reply 30
Original post by Sagacious
[INSERT]; My friend ______ achieved a ____ at AS. But then he/she started working hard at A2 and achieved a _____. It's possible

Well what do you expect people to say then? He asked if it's possible, if you give an example, then obviously it's possible
Reply 31
Got ABCC in my AS exams. Come this January and i'm on for A*AA. I do Politics, Economics and History.
It's not impossible. Most of the people in my year are really working their arses off - doing much much more revision than they did at AS. Trying to get into your firm is a massive motivator.
Reply 33
I have in chemistry,

AS:
UNIT 1: 86/120
UNIT 2: 58/120
UNIT 3: 32/60
Overall: 176/300
GRADE: D

Of course I resat this now its:
UNIT 1: 86/120(New grade pending done exam should be MUCH higher)
UNIT 2: 84/120
unit 3: 36/60 conservative provisional estimate
Grade: C ( I still dont like the AS exams)

A2:
UNIT 4: 96/120
UNIT 5: Gonna do it next week :smile:
Unit 6: 50/60 should be around this marks unless moderation screws me HARD.

Currently low A unit 1 and 5 please be good to me :smile:.

Biology im doing worse in A2

Maths a slightly improvement, but I have always been limited by my careless mistakes in exams.
Original post by headofpertwee
Well in AS I got BCDU (because of a illness rather than lack of work - althought that was a factor) At the moment after re-sits and some A2 modules I'm on BBC
And I'm doing Sciences btw

And I got ABC :smile: With a AS B in IT
I dont know how to start my own thread so just wanted to ask a quick question... I just got my AS History grade... Got an A in unit one and a B in unit 2 coming out with 153 ums out of 200. what did I need in total for an overall A?

Thanks
Reply 36
I did better in A2 than AS.
Original post by annalouise20
I dont know how to start my own thread so just wanted to ask a quick question... I just got my AS History grade... Got an A in unit one and a B in unit 2 coming out with 153 ums out of 200. what did I need in total for an overall A?

Thanks

You need 160 for an A so you needed 7 more UMS marks.

Quick Reply

Latest