The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by Joshmeid
Do some solomon press differentiation questions, it should help you to think of how to solve these problems for the actual exams.

There's only 2 or 3 shape ones
guyz i have a doubt in jan 201o0 c2 paper quesstion 8 n june 2010 question 10 part c n jan 2009 question 9 if anyone cn help thnkz
Reply 183
Does anyone think a difficult geometric seq/series question will come up? :/
Can someone explain Question 5 on the May 2011 paper please?

Its part B I'm confused with - don't know where any of that came from!
If you need some extra practise on those differentiation shape questions, here's some questions and the markscheme attached
If you need any help then just ask :smile:
Reply 186
Do we need to know the proof for the Sine, Cosine and area of triangle rule?
Reply 187
Original post by ninegrandstudent
Can someone explain Question 5 on the May 2011 paper please?

Its part B I'm confused with - don't know where any of that came from!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JtO3tNbhkrM#!
Reply 188
I need some help with trig angles. I don't like using the quadrant thing, but could someone just tell me a set of rules on how to find all the values for x?

Like for inverse Sin of x, you do 180 - your first value of x. But then what do you do?
Same for cos, I don't know what to do to find the rest of the values.
Tan is easy because it's just +180, +180. Could someone help me out here? :smile:
Reply 189
Original post by Kardy
I need some help with trig angles. I don't like using the quadrant thing, but could someone just tell me a set of rules on how to find all the values for x?

Like for inverse Sin of x, you do 180 - your first value of x. But then what do you do?
Tan is easy because it's just +180, +180. Could someone help me out here? :smile:

Photo on 22-05-2012 at 12.02.jpg

To work with these questions I think you have two real modes of approach, illustrated in the picture I have attached.

The first (marked as 2 in the attached image) is to use the quadrant thing, which I would personally really advise but given that you don't like it your only other approach is 1. Some people suggest learning a bunch of rules for each trig graph but there's a reason why this is not a great idea. Would you rather learn about 10 rules for how to work out other values from principal values or, to avoid using the quadrant thing, learn 3 trig graphs instead?

You can work with the symmetry of the trig graphs and your principal value (in my case 30) to find which other values match up. You can see between the bounds I set, only 150 was the other point.

Hope this goes some way to helping
Reply 190
guys, could you give me the formula to find sin,tan,and cos.
the one with PV?
Reply 191
Original post by Adrianna123
If you need some extra practise on those differentiation shape questions, here's some questions and the markscheme attached
If you need any help then just ask :smile:

Do you have any other document like this for integration :colondollar:

Thanks
Reply 192
Original post by dslc
Photo on 22-05-2012 at 12.02.jpg

To work with these questions I think you have two real modes of approach, illustrated in the picture I have attached.

The first (marked as 2 in the attached image) is to use the quadrant thing, which I would personally really advise but given that you don't like it your only other approach is 1. Some people suggest learning a bunch of rules for each trig graph but there's a reason why this is not a great idea. Would you rather learn about 10 rules for how to work out other values from principal values or, to avoid using the quadrant thing, learn 3 trig graphs instead?

You can work with the symmetry of the trig graphs and your principal value (in my case 30) to find which other values match up. You can see between the bounds I set, only 150 was the other point.

Hope this goes some way to helping

Ahh, I see. Thank you very much. :wink:
Original post by Kardy

For inverse sine of x, whatever your answer is you + and - 360 and those are all your solutions (until you get outside of your range) AND you do 180 - the first value of x like you said and also + and - 360 for that.

For cos, you do the inverse cosine of x and whatever your answer is, you + and - 360 from that. You also do the negative version of x and + and - 360 from that.

And for tan just + and - 180.

Hope that made sense :smile:
Original post by wam-bam
Do you have any other document like this for integration :colondollar:

Thanks

Nope, only for diffrentiation and trig...sorry :frown:
Original post by silentlife
A good calculator (not banned) that can do various tricks is useful for the exam:wink:

what do u mean by this? :P
Does anybody have the list of formula we get in the exam?
Thanks
Reply 198
Original post by monstersam
Does anybody have the list of formula we get in the exam?
Thanks

it's here

http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/GCE%20New%20GCE/N38210A-GCE-Mathematical-Formulae-Statistical-Tables.pdf

on page 5

also here is a briliant C2 in a page thing which gives you all the formulas we need and there's :smile: smiley faces next to the ones that are given to us in the formula booklet!

http://www.morehouse.org.uk/MH_PupilsPages/MH_PupilsResources_Pages/MH_ResourcesFiles/Math/C2inEssence.pdf

hope that helps!
Reply 199
Original post by Adrianna123
Nope, only for diffrentiation and trig...sorry :frown:

no worries, thanks for the differentiation anyway :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending