The Student Room Group

Higher Biology 2012 Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LLL17
Why does oxygen affect the rate of transport of ion?

ion uptake happens via active transport. active transport recquires energy (oxygen+glucouse=carbon dioxide+water+energy) thus more oxygen increases the rate of respiration
Reply 21
It's tomorrow aaah! Our teacher predicted an essay on respiration. Although other teachers said they tend not to put in the 'big' topic essay questions anymore?
Reply 22
Original post by becca.95
It's tomorrow aaah! Our teacher predicted an essay on respiration. Although other teachers said they tend not to put in the 'big' topic essay questions anymore?

going on all the other "predictions" for things that were meant to come up, e.g english/maths etc, I'm just going to revise all I can, then panic :colone:

Anyone else going to attempt all four essays?
Original post by lapples
going on all the other "predictions" for things that were meant to come up, e.g english/maths etc, I'm just going to revise all I can, then panic :colone:

Anyone else going to attempt all four essays?

If I have time I'll do both in question 1 unless 2's questions are horrible for me. If you do 4 do the just take your best from each question?
Reply 24
Original post by TheFOMaster
If I have time I'll do both in question 1 unless 2's questions are horrible for me. If you do 4 do the just take your best from each question?

if you do all four, the Marker automatically takes your best mark for each part :smile:
20105bi.PNG

Can someone help me with this please? Thanks x
(2010 Q5bi)
Reply 26
Original post by kennethwhat
20105bi.PNG

Can someone help me with this please? Thanks x
(2010 Q5bi)

1:3:4

Divide everyhting by 3.9 as this is only to do with tannins.
Reply 27
I hope one of the essay is respiration, can't stand unit 3 essays :frown:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by RFC1872
1:3:4

Divide everyhting by 3.9 as this is only to do with tannins.

Sorry silly division mistake from me! Thanks very much :smile:
Reply 29
whats peoples predicted essays? my teachers said photosynthesis or respiration, protein synthesis, negitive feedback and stomatic fusion/genetic engineering:frown:
Reply 30
my teacher predicted:
Unit1-Transcription/translation
-Phogocytosis
-Respiration
Unit2-Mutation
-Extinction/conservation
-Coping with danger
Unit3-Effect of light in growth
-Water regulation
-Monitoring population/density dependent and independent factors
Reply 31
Original post by heatherblether
ion uptake happens via active transport. active transport recquires energy (oxygen+glucouse=carbon dioxide+water+energy) thus more oxygen increases the rate of respiration

Oh yeah so it is.. Thanks :smile:!
Reply 32
Can anybody help me with this question please? :cool:

bio06q29.jpg

and this one...
bio07q3.jpg
I always thought diffusion was from high concentration to low concentration?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 33
oh i pray its on respiration! Thats just glycolysis and krebs cycle right?
Reply 34
Does anyone know what the percentage for an A has been for the last few years?
Reply 35
Original post by katoes
Does anyone know what the percentage for an A has been for the last few years?

It's usually about 70%.

Original post by pikey358
oh i pray its on respiration! Thats just glycolysis and krebs cycle right?

Well they might have a tiny part about cytochrome system but they don't give you all that much to say at Higher.
Reply 36
SQA
OP
I hope the essays come on Unit 3 and Unit 2 about transpiration stream/genetic engineering or something nice, goodluck guys! :smile:
Original post by SQA
I hope the essays come on Unit 3 and Unit 2 about transpiration stream/genetic engineering or something nice, goodluck guys! :smile:

Genetic Engineering is ok but Transpiration stream is just nasty.
Reply 38
Original post by lapples
if you do all four, the Marker automatically takes your best mark for each part :smile:

Is this true? I've never been told you can do that and I'm scared get penalised for it. Also, can you write essays in bullet points?
Reply 39
Original post by WeeBundy
Is this true? I've never been told you can do that and I'm scared get penalised for it. Also, can you write essays in bullet points?

Yes it's true, you can read the mark scheme if you don't believe it :tongue:

First 'essay' asks you to write notes on x, so bullet points are fine.

Second one you can make heavy use of them if you like but it asks for an account of x, so needs to be a bit more essay-like.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending