Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

noisey distraction from martial arts group @ sports centre - what would you do?

Announcements Posted on
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    We pay £9 for an hour on a badminton court at the local sports centre once a week. We aren't professional/ that competitive BTW.

BUT recently, the local kuk sool won club has been practicing, in the same hall, at the same time that we and other pairs/ groups play badminton. There's about 20 people doing kuk sool won and about the same doing badminton, spread over several courts.

Obviously we understand that when they throw people etc, they're going to make a thump when they hit the mats. This isn't too bad or distracting.

BUT they shout, almost chant it seems (in Korean or maybe it's just meant to be random noises :dontknow: ) in unison with each other (and there's around 20 of them) for several minutes at a time. But it's really loud and rather startling when they start doing it when there's been a few minutes of silence. This becomes rather distracting and leads to us missing shots etc, especially if we're about to hit the shuttlecock when they all of a sudden start shouting.

This happens on and off for a few minutes at a time, all the way through the hour we play.

The slot that we have booked is the only time that we can all make it, so swapping isn't an option.

Complaining to either their leader or the sports centre seems a bit . Obviously it's not the kinda thing they can do in silence, but they do seem to be excessively loud . . . and we're not moaning about them hitting the mats (which we understand is a necessary part of martial arts), just the shouting/chanting.

What would you do if you were me/ my badminton group?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Go over there and karate kick them.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    They might beat us up with their num-chucks if we did :eek4:

Just kidding . . . I dunno if they even have num-chucks . . . but they do seem a bit intimidating . . .
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd accept that the sports centre is open to everybody and that the martial arts group have just as much 'right' to do whatever it is they need to as I have to play badminton. Then I'd probably buy some ear plugs, and put them to use whilst playing.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    I'd accept that the sports centre is open to everybody and that the martial arts group have just as much 'right' to do whatever it is they need to as I have to play badminton. Then I'd probably buy some ear plugs, and put them to use whilst playing.
    I accept that they should be allowed to use the hall. I just think that they should be more considerate to other users.

I'm sure if there were no curtain between us and them, and we kept hitting shuttlecocks into their area, they'd be a bit annoyed by the distraction.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clare~Bear)
    I accept that they should be allowed to use the hall. I just think that they should be more considerate to other users.

I'm sure if there were no curtain between us and them, and we kept hitting shuttlecocks into their area, they'd be a bit annoyed by the distraction.
    I'm sure the sound of your lot hitting the shuttlecocks back and forth annoys them, but they're not on here complaining.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    pick a fight with them
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The "shouting" is a necessary part of their sport too though. It's called a "kiai" and is used to 'focus your energy', intimidate opponents, avoid getting the wind knocked out of you from a counter attack, 'harmonise' your breathing with the technique etc.

I.e. they're not just shouting for the hell of it, and you can't really do it quietly, so I don't know if they're really being 'excessively loud' unless they're properly taking the mick and using it after every single technique or something =/
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    shouting is part of the martial art. Unless you plan on going in there and telling 20 of them to knock it off I would just put up with it if I were you :P
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    I'm sure the sound of your lot hitting the shuttlecocks back and forth annoys them, but they're not on here complaining.
    The sound of shuttlecocks against rackets is nothing compared to their shouting.

(Original post by Jelephant)
    The "shouting" is a necessary part of their sport too though. It's called a "kiai" and is used to 'focus your energy', intimidate opponents, avoid getting the wind knocked out of you from a counter attack, 'harmonise' your breathing with the technique etc.

I.e. they're not just shouting for the hell of it, and you can't really do it quietly, so I don't know if they're really being 'excessively loud' unless they're properly taking the mick and using it after every single technique or something =/
    It seems excessive to us. I don't think the accoustics of the room helps either though

I don't see why the do have to be in the same room though. There's a room called 'the martial arts room' in the sports centre. I've been in there before and it's bigger than the section of the hall that they currently use.

Infact, this whole thing could be temporary. I've just realised that the martial arts room is where I had my biology exam today. My 6th form is on the same sight as the (public) sports centre. We only have a small drama hall, which is being used for drama exams and rehersals, so some exams take place in the sports centre aswell as classrooms in the college. If the tables and chairs are being kept set up, then the martial arts people would have to go somewhere else. :argh:

At least that isn't so bad then. Although it might be this way until the end of june
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Maybe they feel equally distracted by seeing your shuttlecocks fly through the air out of the corner of their eyes when they're trying to focus on their opponents.

Sports involve noise. If you can't deal with that, I think the impetus is on you to find somewhere else to play. Unless they're directly preventing you from playing or deliberately antagonising you (which they're not) they're doing nothing wrong.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bring in some tranquil music and play it. Will help diminish the impact of the noise they make.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clare~Bear)
    We pay £9 for an hour on a badminton court at the local sports centre once a week. We aren't professional/ that competitive BTW.

BUT recently, the local kuk sool won club has been practicing, in the same hall, at the same time that we and other pairs/ groups play badminton. There's about 20 people doing kuk sool won and about the same doing badminton, spread over several courts.

Obviously we understand that when they throw people etc, they're going to make a thump when they hit the mats. This isn't too bad or distracting.

BUT they shout, almost chant it seems (in Korean or maybe it's just meant to be random noises :dontknow: ) in unison with each other (and there's around 20 of them) for several minutes at a time. But it's really loud and rather startling when they start doing it when there's been a few minutes of silence. This becomes rather distracting and leads to us missing shots etc, especially if we're about to hit the shuttlecock when they all of a sudden start shouting.

This happens on and off for a few minutes at a time, all the way through the hour we play.

The slot that we have booked is the only time that we can all make it, so swapping isn't an option.

Complaining to either their leader or the sports centre seems a bit . Obviously it's not the kinda thing they can do in silence, but they do seem to be excessively loud . . . and we're not moaning about them hitting the mats (which we understand is a necessary part of martial arts), just the shouting/chanting.

What would you do if you were me/ my badminton group?
    put some headphones in and listen to some beats.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 22, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Share your study tips

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.