The Student Room Group

English Literature GCSE AQA (poetry) May 24th, Higher tier

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by James3110
I hate Futility !! My favourite would probably be out of the blue :biggrin:

i think i understand all the poems, how about you? i just want to know how to revise all the poems quickly and effectively over these two nights. i have a huge problem of having physics on exactly the same day, and i need to revise for that too :frown:
Original post by Dandaman9999
Well it is guaranteed that we won't be asked to compare Flag, The Falling Leaves and The Right Word (for higher tier) so that's all good! If anyone wants to check have a look here: http://store.aqa.org.uk/resourceZone/pdf/english/AQA-ENGLIT-W-TRB-U01TG.PDF
It says which poems will only come up in the Foundation paper and which will only come up in the Higher paper :smile:

So does that document tell us that those 3 poe s will turn up...
By this time in 2 days I will NEVER EVER have to do English Literature again :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
(I don't like Lit by the way :tongue: )
Reply 23
for character and voice i hope any of these poems come up. i think there the easiest to analyse imo:
hunchback in the park
clown punk
casehistory alison
brendon gallacher
give
Reply 24
i'm just hoping that in some way I can use Ozymandias.. Its my favorite and the one I can talk about the most
Reply 25
Original post by Sammy95
i think i understand all the poems, how about you? i just want to know how to revise all the poems quickly and effectively over these two nights. i have a huge problem of having physics on exactly the same day, and i need to revise for that too :frown:

I know about all of them but of course some better than others! Have you got the cgp book for poetry? It's really helpful and has good notes on the poems + exam tips. Are you doing AQA physics aswell? I did this poetry paper last June and i got a B somehow? My essay had no proper structure, no speculating and only a few random big words :P I'm sure you'll manage somehow!
I am hoping for a question on:

"Power of Nature - River God + Ozymandias"
or "Homelessness - Hunchback in the Park + Clown Punk"
but I doubt they will come up :tongue:
i'm really confused... my school have entered us for this exam but i'm doing the clashes and collisions section, no one else seems to know what this is! help! x
Reply 28
Original post by gcseboy12
for character and voice i hope any of these poems come up. i think there the easiest to analyse imo:
hunchback in the park
clown punk
casehistory alison
brendon gallacher
give

June 2011:

The option was between My Last Duchess and a poem of your choice or Medusa and a poem of your choice

June 2010:

The river god and one other poem, or Medusa and one other poem. Goes to show that it could come up twice in a year, and there is no guarentee.
Reply 29
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
So does that document tell us that those 3 poe s will turn up...

no this tells us that if any of those three come up, it will only be for higher, not lower. the poems that are mentioned for lower are the "unnamed" poems in higher and vice versa.

higher candidates wont get the falling leaves, the right word or flag as they will only appear on the lower paper.

lower candidates wont get the yellow palm, belfast confetti or next to of course god america i because they only appear on the higher paper.

you can still revise those poems though, and use them as the comparison poem in your essay.

hope this helps :smile:
I hope that the unseen poetry is a easy one!
Reply 31
ugh im doing conflict...the worst of the lot
quick question, do we get marks for writing about context of the poem, I think my teacher said we don't but a lot of the mock answers etc talk a bit about context. I'm doing relationships but I assume its the same for all the clusters
Reply 33
the poems they have previously asked about:
JAN 2011
Compare the ways poets present powerful characters in ‘My Last Duchess’ and one other poem
OR Compare the ways poets present strong emotions in 'Medusa' and one other poem

JAN 2012
Compare the ways poets present ideas about identity in 'The Clown Punk' and on other poem
OR Compare the ways poets present isolated characters in 'The Hunchback in the Park' and on other poem
Original post by lil-mazie
Close to making the thread myself! I do relationships at it is the most easiest but the most BORING apart from the family relationships like sister maude, By the way does anyone want a mock of comparing sister maude to brothers? I can offer it to anyone but please also share your own knowledge and notes.

Seeing as you're doing relationships, what poems would you compare to Born Yesterday? I was thinking maybe Nettles because of their protective attitude but what would you recommend??
Reply 35
i'm doing unseen. we havent even done any practice!!
the poems they have previously asked about:
JAN 2011
Compare the ways poets present powerful characters in ‘My Last Duchess’ and one other poem
OR Compare the ways poets present strong emotions in 'Medusa' and one other poem

JAN 2012
Compare the ways poets present ideas about identity in 'The Clown Punk' and on other poem
OR Compare the ways poets present isolated characters in 'The Hunchback in the Park' and on other poem

and What about June 11 may I ask :tongue:
(I am definitely focussing revision on Ozymandias and the River God.. I have a good feeling for it) :tongue:
Reply 37
Original post by skittlesaremydrugs
quick question, do we get marks for writing about context of the poem, I think my teacher said we don't but a lot of the mock answers etc talk a bit about context. I'm doing relationships but I assume its the same for all the clusters

I think it would be best not to mention context unless it is REALLY relevant, as it takes up time and can also go off topic. So, stick to the question and you'll be fine :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by James3110
I know about all of them but of course some better than others! Have you got the cgp book for poetry? It's really helpful and has good notes on the poems + exam tips. Are you doing AQA physics aswell? I did this poetry paper last June and i got a B somehow? My essay had no proper structure, no speculating and only a few random big words :P I'm sure you'll manage somehow!

yes i do have the cgp book, its really useful and my teacher's notes add so much more depth and understanding, im really grateful to have her as a teacher :smile: maybe you didnt structure your essay right, you have to merge the two poems together, not write two separate essays. and you have to talk about structure, form, rhyme, rhythm and language and use Point. Evidence. Explain. for the A/A* answer you need to develop a bit more, use sophisticated language, be precise and to the point (dont waffle), compare directly and give your own opinion on things :smile:

im doing edexcel triple science physics P3 on thursday, and i havent revised. for chemistry i crammed the day before and i feel the exam went well so hopefully it can be the same for physics, my targets an a* i really hope i can achieve it :smile:
Reply 39
hunchback in the park
clown punk
casehistory alison
brendon gallacher
give

We were told that ruined maid, brendon Gallacher and give definitely won't be the named poems

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending