The Student Room Group

Revision/Discussion Thread Edexcel Economics Unit 2 Friday 25th of May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Miryo
Can someone please help me out? How do you revise for economics 2? I've learnt most the stuff and i've done the majority of the past papers, how do you revise for it?

Have you look through examiner reports? If not, i advice you to have a look at it as then you will have rough idea of what to write to score full marks. Very helpful especially if you not very confidence with the 30 markers.
Reply 21
Original post by Jim Riley
This might be useful for Edexcel AS Econ candidates.

There is a free online AS Macro revision clinic with Geoff, Mo, Ian and the tutor2u Econ team tomorrow evening (22 May) from 8.30 pm for anyone who would like a little extra support ahead of Friday. over 450 students logged into the first AS Macro clinic - a similar number expected tomorrow night!

Geoff, Mo and several others on the teacher panel teach Edexcel Econ - so bound to be lots of good support for the unit in the clinic Q&A.

http://www.tutor2u.net/blog/index.php/economics/comments/as-macro-unit-2-economics-online-revision-clinic-tuesday-22-may-2012

Jim

where can i watch the video? im on the website and it says i need a twitter or fb account, i got a twitter account but where do i get the video live? :s-smilie:
Reply 22
a question in unit 2 is likely to ask for a "aggregate supply and aggregate demand diagram" right?
what sort of diagram do we draw? a straight diagram of the AD AS or do we draw a curved SRAS and vertical LRAS? which one?
Reply 23
Original post by MOMI5K
where can i watch the video? im on the website and it says i need a twitter or fb account, i got a twitter account but where do i get the video live? :s-smilie:

It starts at 8:30pm so if you wait till 8:30pm, it will start. Btw, I don't think is a video. Is just a massive chat room where people ask questions and the admin or other teachers try to answer it.
Reply 24
Original post by MOMI5K
a question in unit 2 is likely to ask for a "aggregate supply and aggregate demand diagram" right?
what sort of diagram do we draw? a straight diagram of the AD AS or do we draw a curved SRAS and vertical LRAS? which one?

This is the diagram that I used:

http://www.economicshelp.org/images/macro/AD-increase.jpg
Reply 25

yeah i use the curvy SRAS aswell, but i'm looking at an examiners report from june 11 and the examples there mostly show straight AS cruves. :s-smilie:
Reply 26
Original post by ryanboi
It starts at 8:30pm so if you wait till 8:30pm, it will start. Btw, I don't think is a video. Is just a massive chat room where people ask questions and the admin or other teachers try to answer it.

looool this is crap, i thought a guy comes on a live video and skims through the whole unit lol. this chatroom is poor. do you have any notes on HDI and measures of standard of living? and income and wealth? i'm struggling with these two topics, everything else is good. would be appreciated if you can help :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by MOMI5K
yeah i use the curvy SRAS aswell, but i'm looking at an examiners report from june 11 and the examples there mostly show straight AS cruves. :s-smilie:

You can use either the one am using or the straight vertical one. Whichever one you use, you won't get mark off. My graph tend to have both SRAS and straight vertical.

Just like this one:
http://www.s-cool.co.uk/a-level/assets/learn_its/alevel/economics/aggregate-demand-and-aggregate-supply/supply-side-policies/2007-12-04_120319.gif
Reply 28
Original post by MOMI5K
looool this is crap, i thought a guy comes on a live video and skims through the whole unit lol. this chatroom is poor. do you have any notes on HDI and measures of standard of living? and income and wealth? i'm struggling with these two topics, everything else is good. would be appreciated if you can help :smile:

Which part of HDI and income and wealth are you struggling at? I will try and list all the key notes here as all my work is not on the computer, so can't send it to you.
Reply 29
Original post by ryanboi
Which part of HDI and income and wealth are you struggling at? I will try and list all the key notes here as all my work is not on the computer, so can't send it to you.

do you know a good site that has notes on these other than tutor2u?

and i need to know the adv/disadvantages, evaluation points of HDI and economic growth as a measure of living standard, would be much appreciated
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by ryanboi
Have you look through examiner reports? If not, i advice you to have a look at it as then you will have rough idea of what to write to score full marks. Very helpful especially if you not very confidence with the 30 markers.

Ok thanks, I'll get on it in a minute, one more thing, I've been doing the past papers and I just keep missing out the points on the mark scheme, are the points on the mark scheme the ones you MUST get or are there points you could get marks for that aren't on the mark schemes?
Reply 31
Where do you go to ask questions in that tutor2u thing which is going on now, i got a twitter account i been clicking the twitter logo 15 mins now
Reply 32
Original post by Miryo
Ok thanks, I'll get on it in a minute, one more thing, I've been doing the past papers and I just keep missing out the points on the mark scheme, are the points on the mark scheme the ones you MUST get or are there points you could get marks for that aren't on the mark schemes?

the points in the mark schemes are examples of points to be expected, your answers should be somewhat along the lines of what the mark scheme says. the examiner will give you marks as long as you answer the question relevantly.
Reply 33
Original post by MOMI5K
do you know a good site that has notes on these other than tutor2u?

and i need to know the adv/disadvantages, evaluation points of HDI and economic growth as a measure of living standard, would be much appreciated

http://kdkchadha.blogspot.co.uk/2010/06/hdi-human-development-index.html

This girl has some good explanation on advantages and disadvantages of HDI. Evaluation point of HDI would normally be counter argument. I remember one question where they ask you the advantages of HDI and to evaluate that question, all you have to do is list the disadvantages of HDI. Another evaluation point would be other things being not equal. For example, if there is natural disaster in the future, then the welfare in the future will fall. HDI fails to take this into account as economist can't predict natural disaster. This makes HDI a less useful measure. Another one would be what you can do to make HDI a better indicator? Since its lack of quality of life, maybe add poverty level into HDI. Will that make HDI a more accurate measure?

Economic growth evaluation:

Give a better indicator. HDI. And explain why its better.
Counter argument
Different countries-Different accuracies
e.g. In developing countries, black economy will be bigger because of lack of regulation. This will make economic growth less accurate and therefore, is not useful for measuring standard of living.
Prioritise your point. Which reasons is the most important in determining how useful economic growth is?
Reply 34
Original post by Miryo

For KAA part, you will have to get most of the stuff in the mark scheme as KAA testing on your knowledge, ability to apply it and analyse the problem.
However, for Evaluation, you could get marks for your answer even if the points you state is not in the mark scheme. Obviously, the evaluation point has to make sense to get the marks.
Reply 35
Original post by QwertyG
Where do you go to ask questions in that tutor2u thing which is going on now, i got a twitter account i been clicking the twitter logo 15 mins now

The workshop is about to end anyway so no point going. It ends at 9:30pm. Tbh, is not very useful as is too crowded
Reply 36
Damn this exam man I need 90+ UMS for this sheit, 30 marks questions are actually do able but its those 12 mark questions which do my head in
Reply 37
Original post by QwertyG
Damn this exam man I need 90+ UMS for this sheit, 30 marks questions are actually do able but its those 12 mark questions which do my head in

12 marks in Unit 2 are easier than in Unit 1. You will always be awarded 4 marks for evaluation and 8 marks for KAA.
Reply 38
economic growth disadv- sizes of economies differ, thus harder to compare, benefits of economic growth are usually benefitted by higher end workers....etc...

thanks alot :colondollar: , now back to finishing off this june 2010 paper......then exam in 2 days..........then freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedoooooooooooooooommm :wink:
Reply 39
Original post by ryanboi
12 marks in Unit 2 are easier than in Unit 1. You will always be awarded 4 marks for evaluation and 8 marks for KAA.

Its the way the questions are given which does my head in, in the 30 mark you know the question is going to be on policy conflicts or how X could improve with the use of SSP or MP or FP

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending