Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Need help with my Icarus complex

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    After doing research after hearing some terms thrown around loosely I saw a Psychologist, after sitting tests He said I had Narcissistic personality disorder, of which I am aware of...to an extent, personally I think having this traits benefits me greatly, but it affects my relationships with certain people so I wanted a means to control it...To some affect I have. After doing some more research I found all my traits are that of an Icarus Complex and there isn't much information around and I'd rather not see anyone yet before getting more info. so far my basic understanding is this ;

Murray's term for urethal complex. The name is suggested after Icarus, the mythological figure who flew too near the sun against his father's advice and as a result of which his artificial wings melted and he plunged to his death. According to Murray, an Icarian typically displays such qualities as cathexis for fire, a history of enuresis, a craving for immortality, strong narcissism, and a lofty ambition that dissolves in the face of failure.

Can anyone help me understand? or give any advice...?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Best way to control it would be to get therapy, I imagine DBT since that's aimed at personality disorders (although primarily borderline). Your psychologist might have other advice.

Aside from that, just trying to be aware of how you're thinking and trying to control it I guess (which the therapy would be teaching you I imagine).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Exopaladin)
    Best way to control it would be to get therapy, I imagine DBT since that's aimed at personality disorders (although primarily borderline). Your psychologist might have other advice.

Aside from that, just trying to be aware of how you're thinking and trying to control it I guess (which the therapy would be teaching you I imagine).
    Problem is DBT cannot help much with narsissisum due to its nature, you can't actually remove that trait as far as psychologists are concerned, I'm told I'm at the best state I can be, I mean if you read some stuff on it I wouldn't really consider it a disorder as such...it allows me to get my way its quite useful to have and its directly related to great successes ... However we quickly lose interest and stuff plumets hence icarus...many famous CEO s are narcisissistic... Do you know much specifially about icarus complex though?

(Original post by pshewitt1)
    After doing research after hearing some terms thrown around loosely I saw a Psychologist, after sitting tests He said I had Narcissistic personality disorder, of which I am aware of...to an extent, personally I think having this traits benefits me greatly, but it affects my relationships with certain people so I wanted a means to control it...To some affect I have. After doing some more research I found all my traits are that of an Icarus Complex and there isn't much information around and I'd rather not see anyone yet before getting more info. so far my basic understanding is this ;

Murray's term for urethal complex. The name is suggested after Icarus, the mythological figure who flew too near the sun against his father's advice and as a result of which his artificial wings melted and he plunged to his death. According to Murray, an Icarian typically displays such qualities as cathexis for fire, a history of enuresis, a craving for immortality, strong narcissism, and a lofty ambition that dissolves in the face of failure.

Can anyone help me understand? or give any advice...?
    everyone is a ****ing narcisst nowadays.- just have a look at facebook. no need to worry.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    everyone is a ****ing narcisst nowadays.- just have a look at facebook. no need to worry.
    many have mild forms, but most won't score above 10-16 on the test, I scored 39

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 25, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.