The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hate to say it... but wouldn't try to quit be better?
You'd save loads.
Reply 2
Again? I'm sure they've just gone up - they're nearly £8 a pack now. I absolutely resent being priced out of smoking, and it's making me determined not to quit.
dont see how anyone can afford to smoke cartons. 8 quid for 20?? mad. Roll ups are so much cheaper.
Original post by AFC1993
As If they weren't high enough, I've just heard they're going up again in October.
Time to learn how to roll :frown:

rolling is half the fun of smoking
Reply 5
It's totally ****. I've been forced to quit because of the ridiculous costs of smoking. I am so jealous of the rich who can smoke to their hearts content. :frown:

EDIT: was going to say that I used to smoke rollies but went back to normal fags for a while when I was working in the summer. Then couldn't revert back to rollies when I started uni again. Had to quit. So ****.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ArtGoblin
Again? I'm sure they've just gone up - they're nearly £8 a pack now. I absolutely resent being priced out of smoking, and it's making me determined not to quit.

£8 a pack!? Jeez. I remember when they were about £3.50 and I thought that was expensive!

(You might have gathered, I don't smoke!).
Reply 7
Original post by Rascacielos
£8 a pack!? Jeez. I remember when they were about £3.50 and I thought that was expensive!

£8 for a 20 deck
£3.50 for a 10 deck
Reply 8
Original post by Rascacielos

Same. Was it really that long ago they were £3.50?
Original post by wilko1991
It's totally ****. I've been forced to quit because of the ridiculous costs of smoking. I am so jealous of the rich who can smoke to their hearts content. :frown:

EDIT: was going to say that I used to smoke rollies but went back to normal fags for a while when I was working in the summer. Then couldn't revert back to rollies when I started uni again. Had to quit. So ****.

So higher costs on cigarettes DO make people quit... that's nice.
And the government wonder why 50% of fags smoked are knock-off! They're pricing themselves out of their own revenue.
Reply 11
all my friends stopped smoking now because they really cant afford it!
I remember coming to the UK and being shocked at the cigarette prices in comparison to their cost on the Continent.
Original post by Muddy_Hands
And the government wonder why 50% of fags smoked are knock-off! They're pricing themselves out of their own revenue.

Verify that stat
Reply 14
my cigarettes are already coming up to £8 a pack how on earth can they raise them more?! i think im going to start having to go to places like Greece more where i can quite literally buy 10packs for the price of one from here ... disgraceful government.
Glad I roll now. Plus will enjoy the lower prices during my month on the Continent this summer :smile:
Original post by anonstudent1
Verify that stat

Apologies; 18% of cigarettes and 50% of tobacco.

http://www.smokefreecamden.nhs.uk/files/pdf/Microsoft%20PowerPoint%20-%20concrete%20blocks%20and%20counterfeit%20cigarettes%20[Compatibility%20Mode].pdf

I used this for a college assignment a few months back, knew I'd read 50% somewhere. Still costs government 2billion a year.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
Lol of course, we're addicted, so they can raise to price and people will still pay it, unlimited money!
Dont see people complaining about rising condom prices :biggrin:
Original post by cognito_08
Hate to say it... but wouldn't try to quit be better?
You'd save loads.

I wouldn't save anything haha I'd spend it all on food and get fat!

Latest

Trending

Trending