The Student Room Group

AQA CHEM2 ~ May 23rd 2012 ~ AS Chemistry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1880
Original post by Ursin
See above :smile:

Ahh, just missed that xD Thank you but that is a very misleading question...

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my Desire HD
Reply 1881
[INDENT]
Original post by Ursin
CH3CHCH2Br I think, you have to form the most stable carbocation, i.e. the carbon with the positive charge is the one with the most carbons leading into it.

Replace Br with H, my bad.
Can somebody pleasseeee explain to me how to do q2c http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-CHEM2-W-QP-JAN10.PDF

Im clueless!
Oh God.. i'm bricking it. There is a special place in hell for extraction of metals. Good luck to all!
Does anyone have the exact mark scheme definition for Le Chatelier's principle? I can never phase it very well and don't seem to be able to find a paper it was on at the moment..
Original post by Tullia
2-bromopropane.

That isn't the intermediate though, thats the actual major product. :cool:
Original post by Spellstheend
Really want this exam over with now, kind of wish it was in the morning as I don't know what to do between now and the exam

That's exactly how I feel. I don't feel like I can do any more revision between now and the exam because none of it is going in anyway :/ So I'm just wasting time when I could be revising for other exam if it was in the morning.
Original post by Dirtybit
Can somebody pleasseeee explain to me how to do q2c http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-CHEM2-W-QP-JAN10.PDF

Im clueless!

You've been given the values for the enthalpy changes of the reaction. All you need to do is label the right arrows on the cycle they've given you with the enthalpy changes, and then use Hess's Law to calculate the unknown enthalpy like you would any other question. :smile:
Original post by StudentAnon
Isn't a carbocation an ion where a carbon has a positive charge?

"Two products are formed when propene reacts with hydrogen bromide. Draw the structure of the intermediate that leads to the formation of the major product ..."

What would that be? :smile:

The major product would be formed with the free carbon furthest from the end of the chain (if that makes any sense). You'd draw a +ve charge on that carbon and that would be the intermediate for the major product as it's the most stable.

So in this case, the intermediate is that the positive sign is on the second carbon as it's a secondary carbocation. I've attached it for you.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1889
Original post by Spellstheend
Really want this exam over with now, kind of wish it was in the morning as I don't know what to do between now and the exam

same, feel like I'm wasting time when I have soo many other exams to revise for!
Reply 1890

Im clueless!

If you use Hess' Law (the enthalpy change is independent to the route take and is dependent only on the initial and final states) the arrows can be reversed in direction to follow a different route from the reactant to the product. Note that reversing the arrows will also reverse the Delta H value. I.e. +4kjMol-1 will become -4kjMol-1

good luck guys!!
Original post by Millyshyn
Does anyone have the exact mark scheme definition for Le Chatelier's principle? I can never phase it very well and don't seem to be able to find a paper it was on at the moment..

When a system at equlibrium is disturbed, the equilibrium shifts in the direction that tends to reduce the distrubance.

See the January 2011 paper, question 1(c)(i) :smile:
Bit confused with nucleophillic substitution and ammonia.
One things saying you have to add :NH4 on the end of the mechanism, anothers saying :NH3 and something else is saying nothing at all.

Anyone got a good diagram of their mechanism?
Reply 1894
Does anybody know what catalysts we have to learn for all the reactions?

Original post by JesusIsMyHomeboy
Oh God.. i'm bricking it. There is a special place in hell for extraction of metals. Good luck to all!

Completely agree with you! Too many equations for a topic I really could care less about.

Im clueless!

To go from H+ (g) + Cl- (g) they have gone via H (g) and Cl (g)

So to get H (g) and Cl (g) from the original equation its -963 (using the equation in the table and reversing the sign)

Then the next part is easier, to go from the H (g) and Cl (g) you have just formed, it goes to HCL, this is -463 (straight from the table)
Then from HCL to your final product is again the figure straight from the table, -75

add all these together,

-963 + -463 + -75 is your answer
Original post by Millyshyn
That's exactly how I feel. I don't feel like I can do any more revision between now and the exam because none of it is going in anyway :/ So I'm just wasting time when I could be revising for other exam if it was in the morning.

Original post by JenniS
same, feel like I'm wasting time when I have soo many other exams to revise for!

Yep that's exactly it, I have 2 more exams tomorrow, both of which I need to revise for as a matter or urgency :P But I cannot revise for that now when chemistry is a couple of hours away -_-
And I won't get back till 5pm as I live far away from college.
Also I tend to feel more anxious when its the afternoon, I've had all morning to build up stress :P Whereas the morning I get up so early to make it in ontime that I have no time to think and just do it
Oh well can't do anything about it :')
Original post by Ursin
Does anybody know what kind of raw mark I'll need for 132 UMS? :smile:

Probably around 80~90 I think
Original post by Mocking_bird

:smile:

Ah thanks, you could have just got my A (or B, or C, or D possibly :frown:)!

I see what you mean, it's basically just the step in between - hence the name 'intermediate' ha.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending