The Student Room Group

Intermediate 2 Biology

Is anyone here doing Int 2 Bio? How are you getting on with revision? I think I'm okay with units 1 and 2 but unit 3 will be the death of me. I always get confused about things like atriums, ventricles, etc..
Reply 1
It's more of the sides i get confused with because i always mix up the pulmonary vein/artery and vena cava/aorta. I'm hoping the heart doesn't come up, it's like my weakest part in unit 3. I also hope it isn't a picture of a brain and you have to say what the part is because i only know what the pituitary gland looks like! It's more of unit 2 i get stuck with because we rushed through it because we were running out of time, I can do stuff like food webs and monohybrid cross its more of the fertilisation/meiosis and dna stuff i can't do. :frown:
Reply 2
I did Int 2 Biology in 3rd and 4th year and I found the heart so confusing too! I don't really remember if there was a difficult question on the heart last year or not, but there's bound to be a diagram of the brain. I also found the whole meiosis thing difficult, I was always better at all the plants stuff (hence the reason I dropped Higher Human Biology after getting 28% in the prelim). I would definitely make sure you know the whole process of aerobic and anaerobic respiration. I also remember last year the essay questions I answered were on the photosynthesis stages and the nervous system, so I don't think there will be another essay question on those, but it's worth revising just to be on the safe side. All I can say is that if you put the effort in, you will definitely get a good mark - I had always gotten Bs during the whole 2 years of Int 2 Bio, and it was a complete shock when I got an A in the exam, so be confident and do plenty past papers as you begin to recognise the same questions which are asked each year! I'm going to guess that I got most of my marks from my essays as I personally thought they were the easiest questions to get given, so make sure you give yourself some time to do them, instead of rushing them at the end. If you finish early, always go back to your essays and see if you can add in anything else, or you can always draw a diagram to show off! :grin:
Original post by CSM1996
It's more of the sides i get confused with because i always mix up the pulmonary vein/artery and vena cava/aorta. I'm hoping the heart doesn't come up, it's like my weakest part in unit 3. I also hope it isn't a picture of a brain and you have to say what the part is because i only know what the pituitary gland looks like! It's more of unit 2 i get stuck with because we rushed through it because we were running out of time, I can do stuff like food webs and monohybrid cross its more of the fertilisation/meiosis and dna stuff i can't do. :frown:

I have trouble on exactly the same things!
Reply 4
Original post by ladymarshmallow
I have trouble on exactly the same things!

How did you find it?!

I found it so easy compared to some of the papers I done, but I think I lost a few marks from some questions!!
Reply 5
Original post by nerd434
How is this course by the way? I have to self-teach it alongside five Highers next year. Is there a lot of content for one year?

Like I said before, if you put the work in you're bound to get a good mark. I've never really been naturally good at science subjects although I actually found some parts of the Int 2 Bio course surprisingly interesting! I think if you're self-teaching the whole course then you might find it a little more difficult. But I found websites such as BBC Bitesize really helpful in the learning process of it all. There's quite a bit of memorising biological terms and all, but nothing too difficult once they are stuck in your head. Good luck! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by nerd434
Is there any coursework/practicals assessments by the way?

I'm sure there's a practical assessment you have to pass to sit the final exam. I can't exactly remember, it's been over a year now since I sat Int 2 Bio. :rolleyes:
Reply 7
Original post by nerd434
Is there any coursework/practicals assessments by the way?

We had to do an experiment "Cooling by evaporation" and make a report on it for our coursework.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending