The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE Chemistry A- C7 + Ideas In Context, May 24th 2012. OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xAlice95
Heres a few possible questions my teacher gave me today that might come up on it:

1) In the article one scientist says 'I am convinced that phthalate plasticizers pose a substancial possibility of harm' Give one piece of evidence for this claim and one piece against it.

2) A consumer group has suggested that parents may wish to avoid plasticizers in food packages. use the precautionary principle to explain why this may be a good idea.

3) PVC is made from repeating units od chloroethene. Draw a representation of the polymer

4) Plasticizers make the polymer softer and more flexible. Explain with the aid of a labeled diagram, how a plasticizer works

5) The article gives the results of a recent study linking phthalates in maternal urine to differences in boy's play habits. Describe two ways in which this data could be improved.

6) Describe why PVC plastics gradually deteriorate and how it may be possible to prevent this from happening.

7) The EU has decided that: Phthalate plasticizer cannot be used in PVC to make toys for babies and small children, but Phathalate plasticizer can be used in PVC in furniture and packaging. Use ideas of risk and benefit to explain this difference.

Anybody else got any more? :smile:

Thank you so much for the questions, i don't have many more sorry :frown:, maybe justify the viewpoints of the two scientists or suggest how an alternative plasticizer may stay more securely in the pvc? also, could you pleasee provide me wtih any of the answers from your questions?!
Original post by tastetherainbow
Hey guys :smile:

If anyone needs any help with C7 I can try! I did this exam last summer and am helping my sister to revise for it at the moment so I'm happy to help.

Yes please I don't really know what we need to know tbh like the equations and stuff?
MAN I WILL FAIL. I got 19/55 without the pre-release. I SUCK.:angry:
Reply 163
Original post by Freddy-Francis
MAN I WILL FAIL. I got 19/55 without the pre-release. I SUCK.:angry:

my problem isn't the IIC, if anyone does OCR GCSE Psychology, quite a few of the questions that come up on the IIC are similar to the questions using source questions on those papers, IIC is primarily 'use the source' based

..my real issue is C7, so can anyone help me with like the easier stuff, as am taking triple and higher tier..i would just like help with the more 'foundationier' bits :P
Reply 164
Hey!

Can anyone help me with the PRE REALEASE?
I have questions I arent sure off:

What are plasticisers?
What other additives can be added to plastics?
What are polymers?
What are polymers made from and are they sustainable?
Banning phthalates from children's toys is an example of the ALARA principle. Explain what this means?
Plastics cause a lot of waste. Name 3 ways it can be dealt with.
Draw a diagram to illustrate the process of polymerisation.
Why are plasticers added to polymers?
How do plasticisers work? Draw a diagram to illustrate your answer.
What does toxicity mean?
Phthalates use in yours is banned in the USA and Europe but not in furniture and packaging. Suggest why there is not a total ban?

Please can u tell me answers to those questions please ^^ :smile:)

Thanks VERY MUCH! :biggrin:
One of the questions that may come up is

"In the article one scientist says 'I am convinced that phthalate plasticizers pose a substantial possibility of harm' Give one piece of evidence for this claim and one piece against it."

Would the change in the behavior of the children be considered as 'harm' ?
I did 2009 one just now. Got 28/55. without the prelease. SO DAMN HAPPY. My first A*. :biggrin:
Reply 167
can someone please tell me what i need to get for an A* overall?

C1,C2,C3: 48/50
C4,C5,C6: 45/50
Cousework: 38/40

Reply 168
Original post by DeathByBSOD
What grade you are aiming for in these subjects?

Im aiming for a C/B I was aiming for A But my results werent good enough.
I just got 23/55 without pre-release. :biggrin:
Reply 170
I just got 23/55 without pre-release. :biggrin:

I got 38/55 without pre realease
Reply 171
Original post by HHJ
can someone please tell me what i need to get for an A* overall?

C1,C2,C3: 48/50
C4,C5,C6: 45/50
Cousework: 38/40

oh the days of GCSE :smile: I done this same exam last year!

Well, the whole course is out of 300.

Your C1-C6 UMS would be a good A* of 93 UMS.

Your coursework would be the equivalent to maybe around 97-98 UMS which is very good.

This would mean you can get a low A and still get an A* overall because,

93+97+80 = 270 which is on the grade boundary to an A*.
Reply 172
Original post by LiamJD
Uh...I'm confused. I'm doing this exam:

Element: A214H: Science A: Unit 4 (Ideas) Hgh
Component: A214/02: Science A: Unit 4 (Ideas) Hgh

Is the stuff you lot have been going on about the same I'm supposed to be revising...?

This isn't the specification you were taught, the C7 part is for people (triple scientists) who are doing the extended part of the OCR, I presume you do the C1,B1,P1 etc? So the general science exams are for double scientists only :smile:
Reply 173
Original post by ErHi?
oh the days of GCSE :smile: I done this same exam last year!

Well, the whole course is out of 300.

Your C1-C6 UMS would be a good A* of 93 UMS.

Your coursework would be the equivalent to maybe around 97-98 UMS which is very good.

This would mean you can get a low A and still get an A* overall because,

93+97+80 = 270 which is on the grade boundary to an A*.

Thank youu soo muchh... but I still have to revise ALOTT :frown:
Reply 174
I have a few questions:

1) Why are plasticizers added to polymers?
2) What conclusions did the scientists in the study conclude?
3) What happens to plastics as plasticizers diffuse from them?

Not much but hope it helps!
Original post by Regina15
I have a few questions:

1) Why are plasticizers added to polymers?
2) What conclusions did the scientists in the study conclude?
3) What happens to plastics as plasticizers diffuse from them?

Not much but hope it helps!

1) Plasticizers are added to polymers to make it flexible.
2) <<Not sure>>
3) The polymer molecules do not change their primary structure (the atoms and the bonds), but it does change its secondary and tertiary structure. The plasticizer disrupts the crystallinity of the polymer and disrupts the polymer-polymer bonding structure, which is what causes the macroscopic part to become "softer".
Reply 176
I have a few questions, please help me answer them! :smile:

What are plasticisers?
What other additives can be added to plastics?
What are polymers?
What are polymers made from and are they sustainable?
Banning phthalates from children's toys is an example of the ALARA principle. Explain what this means?
Plastics cause a lot of waste. Name 3 ways it can be dealt with.
Draw a diagram to illustrate the process of polymerisation.
Why are plasticers added to polymers?
How do plasticisers work? Draw a diagram to illustrate your answer.
What does toxicity mean?
Phthalates use in yours is banned in the USA and Europe but not in furniture and packaging. Suggest why there is not a total ban?

Will be apperciated ALOT! :biggrin:

Thanks!
Reply 177
1) Plasticizers are added to polymers to make it flexible.
2) <<Not sure>>
3) The polymer molecules do not change their primary structure (the atoms and the bonds), but it does change its secondary and tertiary structure. The plasticizer disrupts the crystallinity of the polymer and disrupts the polymer-polymer bonding structure, which is what causes the macroscopic part to become "softer".

Ahh, thankyouu!
Reply 178
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8361863.stm ..This report is on platicizers, it may help some of you(:
Original post by Regina15
Ahh, thankyouu!

Its my pleasure

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending