The Student Room Group

Moving To Spain

Ok guys well im taking the leap and moving to spain, just next to gibraltar to look for work there.

Now, ive got a couple weeks, but this is where i will forget the obveous, or not be aware of certain things.

firstly has anyone done the move? and secondly is there anything i should be aware of..anything i will have to do when i move etc?

any of your personal stories, or advice is much welcomed

gracias

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Only me who's ever moved abroad? :frown:
Not to be funny but you don't sound too prepared? You're asking for tips on a student forum, this forum isn't designed to cater to your needs, you need a more specific forum, there's probably loads out there.

Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude
Not to be funny but you don't sound too prepared? You're asking for tips on a student forum, this forum isn't designed to cater to your needs, you need a more specific forum, there's probably loads out there.

Good luck!

Haha dont worry, I have done that, im on several expat forums and done my research, i was more interested to hear about anyone who had moved abroad alone for a set period and how they found it, got on, met people etc
Reply 4
Personaly moving to spain was a mixed experience for me. For the first part, if you know the language then people are very friendly and will make you feel welcome. Social life is so much better in spain than in the uk x100!. The bad side to all of this from my experience was there were no jobs! Or atleast not enough of them. Spain is currently going through a financial crisis with unemployment levels rising through the roof!. Spain also doesn't give much financial support compared to the ammount of benefits you can claim here in england so i would say it's a tough choice chosing where to live. That's my opinion anyways :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Alex Dom
Personaly moving to spain was a mixed experience for me. For the first part, if you know the language then people are very friendly and will make you feel welcome. Social life is so much better in spain than in the uk x100!. The bad side to all of this from my experience was there were no jobs! Or atleast not enough of them. Spain is currently going through a financial crisis with unemployment levels rising through the roof!. Spain also doesn't give much financial support compared to the ammount of benefits you can claim here in england so i would say it's a tough choice chosing where to live. That's my opinion anyways :smile:

How long did you stay out there for, Im pleased to hear about the friendlyness and social life...I need to get learning ha

Im hoping the job situation wont be to bad because ill be applying for jobs in gibraltar...whilst living across the border in spain..so im hoping to get the best of both worlds
Original post by Bear_Grylls
Ok guys well im taking the leap and moving to spain, just next to gibraltar to look for work there.

Now, ive got a couple weeks, but this is where i will forget the obveous, or not be aware of certain things.

firstly has anyone done the move? and secondly is there anything i should be aware of..anything i will have to do when i move etc?

any of your personal stories, or advice is much welcomed

gracias

I hope you're going to learn the language, and not just be one of these typical Brits who moves abroad and then arrogantly expects everyone to speak to you in English just because 'everyone speaks English'.
Reply 7
Original post by Raving_Hippy
I hope you're going to learn the language, and not just be one of these typical Brits who moves abroad and then arrogantly expects everyone to speak to you in English just because 'everyone speaks English'.

Its one of the main reasons im going there to be honest, i really want to learn the language, ive already been listening to my spanish tapes, but once im out there an set up ill definetely be getting on the lessons
Reply 8
I think you can success only for your strong feelings. So learn to see dream and keep step forward. Thanks
Reply 9
Original post by hasan29
I think you can success only for your strong feelings. So learn to see dream and keep step forward. Thanks

:biggrin: thank you sir
Reply 10
Job hunting in Spain?
Reply 11
Original post by Organ
Job hunting in Spain?

Gibraltar, online gaming industry, thats what i want to do

But to live across the border in spain, as its cheaper
Reply 12
well im there now :wink:
Hope you're enjoying it, heard it's warm at the moment unlike here. Watch out as there's a bit of an argument going on between the Spanish Government and the UK over Gibraltar at the moment; Prince Edward's supposed to be visiting Gib for the Diamond Jubilee which is apparently unacceptable under the Spanish PM's eyes.

I lived in Spain last year. Great experience though it was and remains clear that the country's in financial meltdown.
Reply 14
Original post by rockrunride
Hope you're enjoying it, heard it's warm at the moment unlike here. Watch out as there's a bit of an argument going on between the Spanish Government and the UK over Gibraltar at the moment; Prince Edward's supposed to be visiting Gib for the Diamond Jubilee which is apparently unacceptable under the Spanish PM's eyes.

I lived in Spain last year. Great experience though it was and remains clear that the country's in financial meltdown.

No worse than their neighbours to the left, Portugal.
well im there now :wink:

Fairplay. What job you looking for there and what are the property especially the rent places like. Im on a gap year in Aus and can't stand going back to England with the standard of life I know I can be having in other countries and no winter in other countries :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by rockrunride

Yeah they have slowed down the border checks really badly here, cars wait upwards of 2-3 hours to get through, its ok for me as i walk, but there were rumours of them shutting the borders, i doubt that'l happen, but relations are a bit sensitive at the minute!
Reply 17
Original post by Menefrego88
Fairplay. What job you looking for there and what are the property especially the rent places like. Im on a gap year in Aus and can't stand going back to England with the standard of life I know I can be having in other countries and no winter in other countries :smile:

I got a job in the online gaming industry in gibraltar whilst living in spain, which is what i wanted :smile: Renting in spain is great, as the pound is getting better and better to the euro which is just making it a whole lot cheaper for me,

Ive only been here a few months but ive already said i couldnt go back and work in the UK ever again...Life is just so much better out here, ill try and upload some pictures later, but basically its my day off today, and i live opposite the beach...thats where im going now :biggrin:
I got a job in the online gaming industry in gibraltar whilst living in spain, which is what i wanted :smile: Renting in spain is great, as the pound is getting better and better to the euro which is just making it a whole lot cheaper for me,

Ive only been here a few months but ive already said i couldnt go back and work in the UK ever again...Life is just so much better out here, ill try and upload some pictures later, but basically its my day off today, and i live opposite the beach...thats where im going now :biggrin:

Are you in La Linea?
Reply 19
Original post by standreams
Are you in La Linea?

Yep, i live opposite the beach so its in a "nicer" area of la linea, rent is so much cheaper than gibraltar! better restuarents and night life here to,

U been?

Quick Reply

Latest