The Student Room Group

The Revamped TSR Asperger's Society!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ivanka
Wow, another hispanist here :smile:

How did you find Valencia? Is it possible to survive there even if you don't speak Catalan?

Yay! Spanish students are cool :biggrin:

I've got to say, I completely fell in love with Valencia! At first, I was really intimidated by the size of the city because before I went there, I had only ever lived in the countryside really. It was a bit of a shock to the system seeing so many people on the streets. A lot of people are really friendly and bubbly - I was quite shocked when complete strangers would chat with me at bus stops. I think the only thing I didn't like about Valencia was the heat, but then I'm nit-picking there.

With regards to Catalan, it's definitely possible to survive in Valencia without any prior knowledge of Catalan, since most people are more than happy to speak Spanish with you. I didn't know a word of Catalan before I went, and even a year after I went there, I still speak it at a beginner's level. In any case, if you ever decide that you want to learn it, you can usually access courses in Catalan for free if you're a student :biggrin:

In any case, how's life going for you guys? Anyone out there enjoying the sun?
Original post by Oli-Ol
Question to everyone on here:

How much do you get compared to Sheldon Cooper from the Big Bang Theory? Happens to me a lot and it's really irritating -_-

I love The Big Bang Theory. I love Sheldon. I love his mannerisms, his bluntness, his outright oblivious nature... but, one thing I hate more than anything are people who compare me with him. We have a lot of similarities sure, but we're not one and the same person - I'm my own. :s-smilie:
Reply 522
Original post by bananaterracottapie
not on the work programme sorry :frown: has anybody else managed to drastically improve their social skills? and if so, could anyone give me tips. apparently its just a question of practice and i've tried being brave, and going to lots of clubs and putting myself in social places....yet im still standing there like an awkward lemon every single time. i'm not even as anxious as i used to be, but my brain apparently doesn't have the resources to make decent conversation and consequently i seem to actively deter people who make the effort to talk to me, away :P

Yes, I have HFA. I don't like to shout about it and the majority of people I'm friends with don't know I have. In the past where I was still learning, people put it down to my own eccentricity.

I don't know why I don't like declaring it to people for the majority, it's just how I've always felt.

I've just got back into education and I'm on ESA, so no work support groups for me. In all honesty, when it comes to small talk... i just chat about every day things, what their interests are, current events and affairs. I used to struggle with eye contact but I'm getting quite used to it now, I do enjoy talking to people and rather the sociable.

Seems I can be quite out going, especially if I already know people. Remember though, people don't expect you to constantly talk to them. You might be trying to hard so when you can't find something to fill the 1-2minute gap, your brain goes into over time and can't get out of it.
Original post by Anon420
Yes, I have HFA. I don't like to shout about it and the majority of people I'm friends with don't know I have.

Quite a friends of mine know about it; but no-one at volunteering does. Only said something because I have friends with it and needed help.

Does anyone know if I'm required by law to send in evidence to prove that I do have Autism? A work programme adviser doesn't believe me (and doesn't believe hypersensitivity can just come on :rolleyes: ) and is refusing to make reasonable adjustments because of this.
I got diagnosed a few weeks ago and I haven't had any feelings about it at all. I thought I would be either relieved or upset and cry a lot but to be honest it hasn't changed anything ... I feel as blank and emotionless as I ever did. I don't know what I expected to change but I can't help but feel, "is this it?"
Original post by OU Student

Does anyone know if I'm required by law to send in evidence to prove that I do have Autism? A work programme adviser doesn't believe me (and doesn't believe hypersensitivity can just come on :rolleyes: ) and is refusing to make reasonable adjustments because of this.

I think you do need to send evidence; just a note from your doctor or a copy of your diagnostic report.
Reply 526
Original post by Fail Whale
I got diagnosed a few weeks ago and I haven't had any feelings about it at all. I thought I would be either relieved or upset and cry a lot but to be honest it hasn't changed anything ... I feel as blank and emotionless as I ever did. I don't know what I expected to change but I can't help but feel, "is this it?"

Where are you on the spectrum? Have you developed yourself with it at all or is it very new to you, just starting to learn things?
I want to post anonymously because I don't want anyone to know that I have HFA and Aspergers (I have symptoms of both disorders) as several colleagues in my college have learnt that I use this place to discuss education etc.

I have had high functioning autism since I was able to talk which was about 2 years old I think and gradually developed Aspergers Syndrome when I started having difficulty responding to others in conversation and couldn't follow.

On the subject, the full 2 years I have been at college to do my BTEC which has almost finished, no one has known or suspected that I have ASD, probably because as stated by the OP that it's not visible on the outside but can be identified when conveying information to one another.
One thing I can't wait for is the day we all finish and go our separate ways, job/university, and this day is that I will tell my colleagues that I have ASD.

What would their response be? I'd think they thought that I was just a normal person like them, apart from my diabetes of course, except I am one of the highest achieving in the group which is very unlike me.

I've taken my education a step further since I failed my GCSE's, well I mean that I have never in my life got above a C grade, and this may be due to my inability to cope with examinations or the preparation required for them.

Academics:

Failed 11+
Majority of GCSE's under C, worst being Science at F.
A levels - big fail.
BTEC's are my only hope at least until university!

It would seem that my greatest interest of computers is my only chance of succeeding in education so I went through the computing/IT route.

Am I to blame for my bad results?

I couldn't concentrate since I had a helper beside me every day at school, they didn't really make a difference but give me stuff that I didn't have like colouring pencils and stationery. I had extra time and a helper for exams both of which I didn't use and paid the price by failing the subjects.

Homework/Coursework I really hated at school but now it's what I do best at, I only wish I could go back in time, still having today's knowledge and doing everything the way it should have been.

Off-Topic: Since there isn't a dedicated university thread for this sort of thing, I wanted to know, because my disorder seems to be fading away and I am growing more confident in my education, would my disorder be checked up on some form of documentation or would I be needing to go to a needs assessment to verify what I will need in order to get DSA?
Reply 528
Original post by Fail Whale

There's a chance you probably had it your whole life without anyone including yourself noticing it and you just follow other peoples examples so you don't ever do anything out of the ordinary and could be the reason why you are so attuned to it already.

Also if you are at or planning to go university, at least you can get DSA out of it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 529
It has been a while since I posted here.

The Ball is rolling regarding my return to University, I have to apply for Student Loans and re-apply for DSA. SFE want a letter from my GP saying why I am taking a leave of absence (My depression was bad and I was attempting self-harm).
Original post by nmr1991
There's a chance you probably had it your whole life without anyone including yourself noticing it and you just follow other peoples examples so you don't ever do anything out of the ordinary and could be the reason why you are so attuned to it already.

Agreed. It's only been recently that my Autism has become that obvious. But that's more the obsessions (which is seriously messing up my life - one of them is another person on the spectrum) and the hypersensitivity. The hypersensitivity means I can't use things like sun cream and most skin products.
Reply 531
Eugh, the amount of social situations I've been in this week has been so much to deal with :sigh:
Sorry to hear that. :frown:

How do I really stop my obsession with another person from messing up our friendship? It's been awful this year. I think we've only had a few conversations where I've not moaned at him because he won't talk to me.

I will be very surprised if we're still friends by the end of this year. That's how difficult this is getting now. :frown:
Original post by Anon420
Where are you on the spectrum? Have you developed yourself with it at all or is it very new to you, just starting to learn things?

My diagnosis is Asperger syndrome. It's all pretty new to me, I first got told I may have it in August last year. Whilst waiting for an assessment I read a heap of books and at first it was exciting because every other page I'd think, "that's me!"
But now I have a diagnosis I don't really know where to go from here.
Reply 534
God the amount of people who's jokes I have taken seriously this week :frown:
Original post by Mrx123
God the amount of people who's jokes I have taken seriously this week :frown:

That's my problem. Along with taking serious stuff as a joke. That has got me in so much trouble.
Reply 536
Original post by OU Student
That's my problem. Along with taking serious stuff as a joke. That has got me in so much trouble.

tell me about it, this has caught me out so many times and got me in serious trouble
Original post by Mrx123
tell me about it, this has caught me out so many times and got me in serious trouble

My excuse is that because it happens online, you can't really tell how serious someone is being.

Does anyone else struggle to make themselves understood through speech? I am now getting to the stage where I'm getting really frustrated. I can speak and don't have an accent as such.
Reply 538
how many ppl on here are Uni students if u don't mind me asking???
Is laughing at someone elses misfortune a product of Autism?
Because I laugh at some of these youtube videos that people make where people deliberately hurt themselves or have accidents that actually look funny but painful, where other people like family/friends look at me and shake their heads.

Quick Reply

Latest