The Student Room Group

HELP! Terrible mistake with university choice!??

I got two conditional offers from university. I have firmed and insuranced them last month.

I'm regretting it now, I should have chosen university with low grades/points because I dropped one A-level subject and now i might not make the conditional offer. Obviously now the university is going to reject me.

My question are
-could I enter the clearing?
-should i notify the universities? if so, mayb the university will sent me a rejection so i can enter the clearings right away?? because I found the university which have a decent ucas grades/points and where i am confident that I can make the entry points which i should have done in the first place:colondollar:.
- what should i do help?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
If both your firm and insurance choices reject you you enter clearing and would then have an opportunity to find a different place. Bear in mind it may not be the one you want.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5830
Reply 2
I'd say work hard and see what happens. If that fails give clearing a shot.
Reply 3
You have to tell them if you change what A-levels you're going to do. Even if you make the points they can reject you on results day on grounds if you drop it without telling them. Best to tell them now, but they are allowed to take back the offer if you do.
Original post by Deiidara
I got two conditional offers from university. I have firmed and insuranced them last month.

I'm regretting it now, I should have chosen university with low grades/points because I dropped one A-level subject and now i might not make the conditional offer. Obviously now the university is going to reject me.

My question are
-should i notify the universities? if so, mayb the university will sent me a rejection so i can enter the clearings right away?? because I found the university which have a decent ucas grades/points and where i am confident that I can make the entry points which i should have done in the first place:colondollar:.
- what should i do help?

I'm guessing you'd still rather go to your firm/insurance? If so, keep them; if you meet the offer, all well and good. If not (and they decide not to accept you anyway), you'll enter Clearing anyway, so you'll be in the same position.

You have to tell them that you've dropped an A-level, but don't mention anything at the present time about wanting them to reject you now.

Yes. If you have no offers, or your miss your offers and consequently don't have a place, you enter Clearing automatically. You can also enter Clearing by contacting the universities before results day asking them to reject you leaving you with no offers, or by contacting them after results are out if you've met your offer asking to be released from your place (though this may take some time which would disadvantage you in Clearing).

-should i notify the universities?

Yes, if you're no longer doing a subject you told them you were doing, you have to inform them. They are within their rights to change or cancel their offers, but better to tell them sooner rather than later.

if so, mayb the university will sent me a rejection so i can enter the clearings right away??

They might. Clearing doesn't start until mid July, and there will be very few Clearing places available until A level results day on August 16th.

because I found the university which have a decent ucas grades/points and where i am confident that I can make the entry points which i should have done in the first place:colondollar:.

There's no guarantee they will have any places in Clearing, though.

- what should i do help?

If you'd be happy at the universities you've set as your firm and insurance then you should still aim for them (but you still need to tell them about the subject you're no longer taking). If you don't meet the offers then you can try Clearing after you've got your results, it will be almost impossible to find a Clearing place before you've got your results anyway.
Reply 6
Thanks for the answers guys, I will email them next week after exams.
Reply 7
Original post by Potally_Tissed

They might. Clearing doesn't start until mid July, and there will be very few Clearing places available until A level results day on August 16th.

So it starts around Mid-July? but It says it kicks-off on 16 August on the result day.:confused:
(edited 11 years ago)
So it starts around Mid-July? but It says it kicks-off on 16 August on the result day.:confused:

Technically Clearing starts in mid July but realistically there will be almost no places available through Clearing at that point because universities won't know what places they have until results day.
Reply 9
Technically Clearing starts in mid July but realistically there will be almost no places available through Clearing at that point because universities won't know what places they have until results day.

thanks again.
Reply 10

Hi, I'm going to email them now, do you think an apology is necessary because I actually put the A-level subject in the ucas app where i shouldnt have in the first place? or should i just tell them i dropped the subject>?

Also is there a possibility to make changes in your ucas app?because i want to delete that subject that i dropped out.thanks:wink:
Hi, I'm going to email them now, do you think an apology is necessary because I actually put the A-level subject in the ucas app where i shouldnt have in the first place? or should i just tell them i dropped the subject>?

Also is there a possibility to make changes in your ucas app?because i want to delete that subject that i dropped out.thanks:wink:

Something like "apologies for any inconvenience caused" ought to be fine.

You can contact UCAS and they should be able to change it on your application for you as the information is no longer correct (and you'll want it to be all correct if you intend to use Extra/Clearing). They'll probably tell you to contact your firm and insurance choices separately to tell them about the change.
Reply 12
Something like "apologies for any inconvenience caused" ought to be fine.

You can contact UCAS and they should be able to change it on your application for you as the information is no longer correct (and you'll want it to be all correct if you intend to use Extra/Clearing). They'll probably tell you to contact your firm and insurance choices separately to tell them about the change.

ok thanks again cheers:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending