Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Potato - Okay or not!

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Basically I'm getting fit again (I'm not overweight or anything just not as fit as I once was). I want shift off four pounds and just generally being healthy.

As such, my current diet when I'm not at the gym is mainly vegetables and fruit with two yoghurts, one for breakfast and one for lunch.

Now for dinner, alongisde my Veg I usually have a portion of beans. However, as a Vegan I was wondering whether I should add in a baked potato for protein and so on.

As such, I just want some a quick answer, is a baked potato healthy and will it impede my weight loss?

P.S I know this is a stupid question but still, could somebody let me know?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TCD23)
    Basically I'm getting fit again (I'm not overweight or anything just not as fit as I once was). I want shift off four pounds and just generally being healthy.

As such, my current diet when I'm not at the gym is mainly vegetables and fruit with two yoghurts, one for breakfast and one for lunch.

Now for dinner, alongisde my Veg I usually have a portion of beans. However, as a Vegan I was wondering whether I should add in a baked potato for protein and so on.

As such, I just want some a quick answer, is a baked potato healthy and will it impede my weight loss?

P.S I know this is a stupid question but still, could somebody let me know?
    ...What? There's not even 10g of protein in like a 300g potato. There's plenty of reason to eat potatos but protein ain't one of them.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    There is not enough protein in a potato. They are just full or carbs and a few minerals...and that is about it. If you are looking for protein they you should try things like nuts, soy, tofu etc.

They are not that healthy if you want to lose weight quickly but they are not too bad. You should cut back carbs for maximum weight loss. Just make sure you eat well regulary and you will see results.

Pan- fried tofu is great with veg .

Oh and is that vegan yoghurt you eat...?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If it fits your macros.

Potatoes are definitely a great protein source for vegans. However, veganism on the whole isn't healthy so can i ask why you're taking this route?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've decided to go with the potato.

And just in case your wondering, I've been a Vegan for six years, and Veggie for 7 before that, so I'm used to my usual veganism. Also I didn't thumb any of you down that was somebody else.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    ...What?
    It's the best kept secret, next to the existence of perpetual energy, the existence of aliens, lizard-men ruling the world, etc.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Like people have said, it's not a great source of protein (although veganism does limit your choices, you should try snacking on nuts or seeds but I'm a little ignorant of non-animal protein sources) but I personally find potatoes tasty and filling, so I'd go with it on that basis.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    Potatoes are definitely a great protein source for vegans.
    Potato is 6-7% protein, I wouldn't exactly call potato a great source of protein.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo)
    Potato is 6-7% protein, I wouldn't exactly call potato a great source of protein.
    breast milk is 5% protein, seems to do fine for people growing at the fastest rate they'll ever grow in their lives.

take your broscience out of here please.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo)
    I did say its a good choice for a vegan whos obviously cant take meat/casein/milk/whey or egg... I don't know how others like pea or hemp protein stack up. If I was a vegan I wouldnt touch soy with a bargepole.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    I did say its a good choice for a vegan whos obviously cant take meat/casein/milk/whey or egg... I don't know how others like pea or hemp protein stack up. If I was a vegan I wouldnt touch soy with a bargepole.
    Eh why's that?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemnomnom)
    Eh why's that?
    Linked with infertility in men (due to phytoeostrogens) [not sure if it affects women]. Contains lectins too which prevent proper mineral absorption and said to cause other metabolic disorders. Plus, it tastes horrible.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 24, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.