The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Does this PC sound good considering the money?

I've heard bad things about ebuyer, anyone used them? Any problems / issues?
Cheers.
Reply 81
It seems fine for the money, I wouldn't worry about getting basic stuff like DVD romes drives from Ebuyer.
I'd get everything from 1 place to save on postage, and you'll definatly want another PSU with that.

The 6500 isnt going to be amazing for games if thats what youre after.
Reply 83
PieMaster
you'll definatly want another PSU with that.

Is that because this one will be naff quality given the price or are you saying I need one that's bigger than 400W?

PieMaster
The 6500 isnt going to be amazing for games if thats what youre after.
Does anyone know of any decent graphics cards for around the £60 mark then? Tah
Reply 84
Steezy20
Is that because this one will be naff quality given the price or are you saying I need one that's bigger than 400W?
Naff quality.

Does anyone know of any decent graphics cards for around the £60 mark then? Tah

"Decent" is a relative term. One man's decent is another man's obsolete. For £60, you aren't going to get much better than the 6500. You get what you pay for I'm afraid.
I've found the x550 to be good for games...
Reply 86
i was wondering what would be the general specs for a laptop that could handle decent games but still be practical for on the move. price limit is £1500.
Pentium M 1.7+ or one of the higher end AMD Turions
6600GO or Mobile x700 graphics chip
1GB of RAM
5400rpm hard disk

Getting speed and portability in laptop is going to get well over your budget, but if you don mind dropping down the detail a bit in games you should be fine within that budget :smile:
Reply 88
Reply 89
PieMaster you just spec'd a acer ferrari 4005 which i own:biggrin: only 1200 though not 1500
Reply 90
A*s_wanted
Would a computer with a:

3.0 Ghz pentium 4 processor (800mhz FSB 2mb cache)
1024mb memory
250gb hard drive
Windows Media Center
DVD rewriter
19" flat panel monitor
Speakers, keyboard, mouse, tv tuner...
Colour printer

Be OK at about £640? I'm thinking of getting one but I'm not really any good with all this computer pricing and stuff...
looks dunny too shabs to me

i'ld go fer it :smile:

no gfx card tho, so maybe you might want to count one of those in to the final price. 19" flatpanel is amazing tho. they cost LOADS
Reply 91
A*s_wanted
Would a computer with a:

3.0 Ghz pentium 4 processor (800mhz FSB 2mb cache)
1024mb memory
250gb hard drive
Windows Media Center
DVD rewriter
19" flat panel monitor
Speakers, keyboard, mouse, tv tuner...
Colour printer

Be OK at about £640? I'm thinking of getting one but I'm not really any good with all this computer pricing and stuff...
Get an AMD based machine.
Reply 92
AT82
I just got sick of people paying £1000 for a gloried word processor so hopefully this thread will reduce the profits of gready vendors and help members get a better PC.

To wit: www.studentcomputers.co.uk.
Mad Vlad
Get an AMD based machine.

An AMD based OEM media centre PC? :p: Find one and i'll be incredibly impressed!
Reply 94
PieMaster
An AMD based OEM media centre PC? :p: Find one and i'll be incredibly impressed!
Quiet you... I'm in Build Your Own mode... :redface:
Reply 95

you get what you pay for. If you buy 2nd hand then you get 2nd hand quality. simple as
Reply 96
Just recently i was thinking of building my own computer, literally from scratch. but it will take too much efort and time. The only reason for building a new comp is so i can have a mother board with PCI-E slots. At the moment i have just PCI slots.
Yakka
Just recently i was thinking of building my own computer, literally from scratch. but it will take too much efort and time.

It gets quicker each time you do it; I can have a PC built and windows installed within 30mins.
Reply 98
PieMaster
It gets quicker each time you do it; I can have a PC built and windows installed within 30mins.

30 min dude thats insane!!
Not really, XP only takes 15-20 mins to install and putting the components of a relativly simple system together takes virtually no time at all.

Its only when you start messing around with SFF. watercooling, RAID etc that it starts to take hours.

Latest