Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

funny smell from oven. paranoid now.

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
    • Thread Starter
    • 2 followers
    Offline

    ReputationRep:
    our oven has started smelling really bad of plastic fumes (its not plastic though).

    When we cook in it and open the door, the smoke that comes from it is ubelievable and burns your eyes etc. And it stinks of poison.

    Ive been eating food from it, and the food tastes really nasty, like poison.

    Ive just been reading up on google and apparently these fumes can be toxic, especially if its gets in your food!!

    now im really paranoid!! what is this smell?? if its toxic am i gonna get ill cos i just ate a load of food from there
    • 3 followers
    Offline

    ReputationRep:
    why did you even eat it in the first place if it smelt and tasted like poison?
    • 6 followers
    Offline

    ReputationRep:
    is it new or have you had any work done to it recently? particularly anything to do with the igniter?

    bit of an obvious one but have you put anything plastic in there?
    • 1 follower
    Offline

    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellissima)
    what does this generic "poison" taste/smell like and how do you know?

    do you clean your oven? have you tried cleaning your oven?

    remember, always wear your marigolds!
    The website is called "The Student Room"
    • Thread Starter
    • 2 followers
    Offline

    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darth Stewie)
    is it new or have you had any work done to it recently? particularly anything to do with the igniter?

    bit of an obvious one but have you put anything plastic in there?
    thanks for the sensible answer

    no we havent, nothings changed we had the smell about half a year ago, then it went, and now its all come back again- a few days ago.
    • Thread Starter
    • 2 followers
    Offline

    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellissima)
    what does this generic "poison" taste/smell like and how do you know?

    do you clean your oven? have you tried cleaning your oven?

    remember, always wear your marigolds!
    because plastic fumes are toxic to humans and it smells very similar to that and google suggest its dangerous.

    taste/smell- our noses/ears/mouths etc are linked by tubes.
    Thats why you can say goats cheese tastes like hay because sometimes if something is strong enough smell wise you can taste the smell!!
    • Thread Starter
    • 2 followers
    Offline

    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slappyhours)
    why did you even eat it in the first place if it smelt and tasted like poison?
    becauyse im a greedy fat pig and the pizza had a vague taste of the 'smell' but i assumed it was okay because ive eaten everything before from there.
    • 2 followers
    Offline

    ReputationRep:
    Like every normal, instinctive human being, the moment the smoke from your oven starts burning your eyes and making food taste like poison is the moment you should throw it far away and run like hell but of course some people will wait until the oven bursts into flames...
    • 1 follower
    Offline

    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellissima)
    yes but come on... it smells like "poison" surely even a student can't be that lazy?!!? or they could at least buy a new one...
    To be honest I'd probably just start using the microwave...but then my time as an undergraduate was when I conducted the main fieldwork for my forthcoming thesis 'No, NO, I'm sure this will work in the microwave the oven will take too long...no I know there's no microwave instructions...It'll be fine, they wouldn't SELL it if it wasn't fine'
    • Thread Starter
    • 2 followers
    Offline

    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellissima)
    ok well if you can taste this in your food maybe you should stop eating the food
    i did stop but its too late now cos i already ate some
    • 5 followers
    Online

    ReputationRep:
    ah you'll probably be fine. things usually turn out fine. lol.
    • 38 followers
    Offline

    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkangelgirl)
    i did stop but its too late now cos i already ate some
    Dont go sleep. What if you never wake up again
    • 6 followers
    Offline

    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkangelgirl)
    thanks for the sensible answer

    no we havent, nothings changed we had the smell about half a year ago, then it went, and now its all come back again- a few days ago.
    Heard it happening when certain parts of the oven (mainly nuts and bolts) were replaced with plastic versions which tend to melt. Have you checked behind/under it? something plastic could have fallen or rolled under it although that would probably not cause the inside to smell strongly. If it went last time then just try leaving it open for a while and then doing a full clean just to make sure nothing is on the inside, highly doubt you will be in any real danger by eating the food though, possibly might feel a bit sick and i wouldn't suggest continuing to use it but after one meal you'll be ok.

    Other than something melting can't really think what else it would be, sometimes new ovens smell plasticy (think its something to do with the coating they use) but that should go pretty quickly.
    • 3 followers
    Offline

    ReputationRep:
    Attached Thumbnails
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lag_items_PPUR1702.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	13.2 KB 
ID:	151078  
    • Thread Starter
    • 2 followers
    Offline

    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darth Stewie)
    Heard it happening when certain parts of the oven (mainly nuts and bolts) were replaced with plastic versions which tend to melt. Have you checked behind/under it? something plastic could have fallen or rolled under it although that would probably not cause the inside to smell strongly. If it went last time then just try leaving it open for a while and then doing a full clean just to make sure nothing is on the inside, highly doubt you will be in any real danger by eating the food though, possibly might feel a bit sick and i wouldn't suggest continuing to use it but after one meal you'll be ok.

    Other than something melting can't really think what else it would be, sometimes new ovens smell plasticy (think its something to do with the coating they use) but that should go pretty quickly.
    ok thanks

    yeh ive ate from it loads of times before.

    just wont again lol! i stopped using it when it happened before, so ill just stop again.

    Thanksss
    • 0 followers
    Offline

    ReputationRep:
    Anyone have any further knowledge on this, was it a whirlpool cooker? Just having the same problem and can't find any information - so if anyone is still following this we'd appreciate your knowledge:-)
    • 0 followers
    Offline

    ReputationRep:
    Any suggestions on why this happened? Maybe you have all graduated to another site!! Was it a whirlpool? Ours is doing the same thing - yucky taste off food, horrible smell...... anyone still out there!!

Reply

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 3, 2014
New on TSR

'Stalking pages' have changed!

Find other uni applicants with University Connect

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.