The Student Room Group

Austerity update: Spain can't afford to win Eurovision

Spain is today pleading with its entrant to Eurovision not to win - the country cannot afford to host the next Eurovision.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18187148

This will be the same for other similar events in other countries, the list of nations queueing to host the Olympics and the World Cup for example will decline.

Britain cannot in any way afford the Olympics, the current event, as it did in Greece, is simply further ballooning the UK's debt to the tune of £15bn+.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by zara55

Britain cannot in any way afford the Olympics, the current event, as it did in Greece, is simply further ballooning the UK's debt to the tune of £15bn+.

It could have easily afforded it with change to spare but it went out of control due to mismanagement and poor budgetary skills as per typical of that idiot Gordon Brown aka Credit Card Chancellor.
Reply 2
Original post by Herr
It could have easily afforded it with change to spare but it went out of control due to mismanagement and poor budgetary skills as per typical of that idiot Gordon Brown aka Credit Card Chancellor.

Brown may have been an idiot (although his interventions were crucial and effective at several points - preventing Blair from getting us into the Euro and telling the Americans what they needed to do at the worst point in the financial crisis, when they were in a state of utter policy chaos) but the Olympics have always gone radically over budget almost every time they have been put on. The history of the modern Olympics is one of Cities and States failing after they hosted it. The corrupt Olympic plutocrats, heavy with gold, fly off in their private jets with their mistresses and whores, leaving behind "Olympic-winning" nations prostrate with debt.
Reply 3
Original post by zara55
Brown may have been an idiot (although his interventions were crucial and effective at several points - preventing Blair from getting us into the Euro and telling the Americans what they needed to do at the worst point in the financial crisis, when they were in a state of utter policy chaos) but the Olympics have always gone radically over budget almost every time they have been put on. The history of the modern Olympics is one of Cities and States failing after they hosted it. The corrupt Olympic plutocrats, heavy with gold, fly off in their private jets with their mistresses and whores, leaving behind "Olympic-winning" nations prostrate with debt.

I don't see Australia in dire straits?

China over-spent on their Olympics too but in the end they profited from it. Many of their venues are now slowly starting to turn profits on their own.
Neither can Italy Greece and Ireland, who are in more danger of winning than Spain. It has been hosted by the UK instead of the winning country in the past, im sure it can be again. Its just damaging to have to do that and best of the winner can host it.
Reply 5
Original post by StarsAreFixed
Neither can Italy Greece and Ireland, who are in more danger of winning than Spain. It has been hosted by the UK instead of the winning country in the past, im sure it can be again. Its just damaging to have to do that and best of the winner can host it.

Well, any of them will be better that the torture-capital of "Europe", Azerbaijan.
Reply 6
Im gonna be a troll and vote for spain for the lols.
Reply 7
I wonder how many will vote for Greece.
Reply 8
Original post by magicman1
I wonder how many will vote for Greece.

Maybe they *will* get a big sympathy vote.

I feel like I don't want to watch it this year, even though I normally enjoy the utter silliness and inanity of it. It's a bit sick that it's going on there, the people are brutally oppressed, the government are corrupt maniacs and murderers. It's as if Butlins had set up a satellite camp tucked nicely inside Auschwitz during WW2, sealed the entrances, invited families in and told them "you'll be fine, just don't look out the windows".
Original post by ak137
Im gonna be a troll and vote for spain for the lols.

So mean, but still so funny. I, on the other-hand, shall vote for no one since I don't watch Eurovision or have any money. *I'm broke, y'know*
Original post by zara55
Well, any of them will be better that the torture-capital of "Europe", Azerbaijan.

Eh?
Reply 11
Original post by zara55
Maybe they *will* get a big sympathy vote.

I feel like I don't want to watch it this year, even though I normally enjoy the utter silliness and inanity of it. It's a bit sick that it's going on there, the people are brutally oppressed, the government are corrupt maniacs and murderers. It's as if Butlins had set up a satellite camp tucked nicely inside Auschwitz during WW2, sealed the entrances, invited families in and told them "you'll be fine, just don't look out the windows".

No i mean they should be voted because they're a big royal pain in the arse, hoovering up all of the cash and that the Eurovision contest will fail that year because the Euro will collapse after they attempt to fund this but bottom out.

:biggrin:

Its all part of my master plan to destroy the Euro. 2 birds with 1 stone is a great thing to strive for.
Reply 12
The common sense thing to do would be for Spain to pull out instead of ask their representative to sacrifice their integrity - they're there to win, not to put on a half-arsed performance.
Reply 13
No i mean they should be voted because they're a big royal pain in the arse, hoovering up all of the cash and that the Eurovision contest will fail that year because the Euro will collapse after they attempt to fund this but bottom out.

:biggrin:

Its all part of my master plan to destroy the Euro. 2 birds with 1 stone is a great thing to strive for.

You're presumably swallowing the Murdoch/Mail media line whole? It's an idiotic position. Do you really think if the Euro was to be "destroyed", all would be fine here? We would be plunged into a deep depression. Do you realise that more than 3/4 of our trade is with the EU? That the CDO and CDS crisis would destroy the world's financial system?

Also, do you realise the effects this is happening on ordinary Greek people? Despite the myths circulating, many ordinary families in Greece are hard working, decent people. Now they are being plunged into acute poverty through no fault of their own.
Reply 14
Original post by zara55

That isn't exactly "ballooning" given that the amount of debt accrued since we volunteered to host the Olympics is in the hundreds of billions of pounds. The Olympics has added maybe £2 billion/year to the national debt since 2005.
Reply 15
Original post by zara55
You're presumably swallowing the Murdoch/Mail media line whole? It's an idiotic position. Do you really think if the Euro was to be "destroyed", all would be fine here? We would be plunged into a deep depression. Do you realise that more than 3/4 of our trade is with the EU? That the CDO and CDS crisis would destroy the world's financial system?

Also, do you realise the effects this is happening on ordinary Greek people? Despite the myths circulating, many ordinary families in Greece are hard working, decent people. Now they are being plunged into acute poverty through no fault of their own.

I dont even watch/read/divulge my brain to what the majority of what the media has to say. I do my own research and rely on the experience of older people who have seen the likes of this before.

Older people are a great source of information my dear, I guess you dont talk to that many out of your age range eh? pity.

I know full well the Euro collpase would be bad, but thats a broken arm compared to the ever increasing train wreck which is occuring in greece and other countries. They're even considering the spend policy again..HOLY HELL BATMAN!

So yes, I do hope the Euro fails because I am not the type of person who throws himself off a cliff believing god himself will make me fly.

I dont give a rats ass about Greeks or anyone from the lazy peon hot countries like Spain, portugal and Italy. They took the money out of stupidity and now their laziness is catching up with them.

I dont give a rats ass about Greeks or anyone from the lazy peon hot countries like Spain, portugal and Italy. They took the money out of stupidity and now their laziness is catching up with them.

You mean their governments did. Or are you seriously suggesting that the ordinary people, the ones who actually DO suffer from the austerity and will suffer more if the euro collapses, are responsible for this mess? You will find that the majority of people carried on working hard. It is the politicians, bankers and developers that created this mess in most screwed-up countries now, but who won't suffer near as badly as those who had no hand in it. Lovely sentiment that it is of course, all the ordinary citizens fault. I live in the ROI. Nobody I know went mad and bought loads of fancy cars and extensions and loans etc. in the good times. Are we to blame also?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
I dont even watch/read/divulge my brain to what the majority of what the media has to say. I do my own research and rely on the experience of older people who have seen the likes of this before.

Older people are a great source of information my dear, I guess you dont talk to that many out of your age range eh? pity.

I know full well the Euro collpase would be bad, but thats a broken arm compared to the ever increasing train wreck which is occuring in greece and other countries. They're even considering the spend policy again..HOLY HELL BATMAN!

So yes, I do hope the Euro fails because I am not the type of person who throws himself off a cliff believing god himself will make me fly.

Can that be right, that you have 1002 warning points??! Lol. I can see why.

In answer to your "points", I do talk with a range of people of different ages and yes, you do swallow the media line wholesale, along with millions of others - the whole reason for the existence of the Murdoch machine in the UK is to create low-tax conditions for his businesses. He's achieved that so far but the EU was a threat to it. Hence his constant war against them, which, sadly, gulls a great many people.

Did you know BTW that whilst the Sun and other "patriotic" Murdoch newspapers "get behind Britain", in the US his business interests often slag the UK off? During the Falklands War for example, his newspapers in the US sided with Argentina, whilst those in the UK sided with Britain. It's all about the profit.
Reply 18
Original post by StarsAreFixed
You mean their governments did. Or are you seriously suggesting that the ordinary people, the ones who actually DO suffer from the austerity and will suffer more if the euro collapses, are responsible for this mess? You will find that the majority of people carried on working hard. It is the politicians, bankers and developers that created this mess in most screwed-up countries now, but who won't suffer near as badly as those who had no hand in it. Lovely sentiment that it is of course, all the ordinary citizens fault. I live in the ROI. Nobody I know went mad and bought loads of fancy cars and extensions and loans etc. in the good times. Are we to blame also?

You aren't and it's part of the right-wing austerity propaganda in this country (and in Ireland) that somehow you are all feckless and irresponsible.

In Ireland, Spain, Greece, etc, most of these vast debts were brought about by manipulated speculations on a vast scale, profiting only a tiny segment of the population.

Much of the Irish debt is about German banks using Irish banks for speculative activities they could not run in their own country. Irish taxpayers are bailing out German banks. Greeks are too.
And even the people who did accept ridiculous mortgages and loans and are struggling and defaulting now..how many people when approved for a stupidly high mortgage etc. When they have great jobs and everything looks rosy are going to say...hold on, that's ridiculous.

Quick Reply

Latest