The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Level 3 Zoology at Glasgow Uni

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Ahh maybe he meant the biomolecular people all pass molecular methods since it's essentially what we do all the time so we kinda need to get used to it :P I originally applied for Anatomy and a certain rat dissection in first year changed my mind :wink:

This is excellent news, I totally hope they're all marked and out by the beginning of June, it'll be nice to just not have to worry about where I'm going in 3rd year and reallyyyyy enjoy summer, I'll let you know how it goes :smile:

To be honest I'd actually kill for a bit of lab work experience over the summer but it's so hard to come by and I'm up against all the current 3rd and 4th years who are also looking
*Rolls eyes at being young and inexperienced*
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Original post by LSD
Ahh maybe he meant the biomolecular people all pass molecular methods since it's essentially what we do all the time so we kinda need to get used to it :P I originally applied for Anatomy and a certain rat dissection in first year changed my mind :wink:

This is excellent news, I totally hope they're all marked and out by the beginning of June, it'll be nice to just not have to worry about where I'm going in 3rd year and reallyyyyy enjoy summer, I'll let you know how it goes :smile:

To be honest I'd actually kill for a bit of lab work experience over the summer but it's so hard to come by and I'm up against all the current 3rd and 4th years who are also looking
*Rolls eyes at being young and inexperienced*

Yeah that's probably what they meant. Aww I remember that rat dissection too. Did you have to do the sheep heart and lung dissection in 1st year too? I originally applied to do Pharmacology! Weird how everyones degrees change so much at Glasgow. I was having lunch with about 10 zoologists and only 2 of us had actually originally applied for zoology :P

Don't worry about getting lab experience this summer, just try and chill and worry about that next year. What is it you want to do after you graduate then? Or are you not thinking about that haha?
Reply 22
Yeah I had to do the heart and lungs, the smell was awful I nearly threw up into the trachea :wink: and yeah I know what you mean, neuroscience or anatomy was what I applied for and I totally couldn't imagine doing that now it would kill me :tongue: most people I know have changed to something different, I changed my mind several times before settling on genetics.

And I'm kind of hoping to just not leave uni for the time being :tongue: wanting to do a masters and maybe a phd if I'm good enough. Actually hoping to get into the work placement year out, applying this September I think. Extend uni as much as possible :wink: what about you?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I always thought I'd be doing a human degree, but I guess fate had other plans for me! :P Ah, that's fair enough. I don't blame you :smile: Would be so awesome doing a doctorate, but I think it's beyond me tbh! :P Good luck with applying for the work placement year, fingers crossed you get it! I'm planning on doing a post grad in teaching :smile:
Reply 24
Phd is probably beyond me as well tbh, I'm hardly the best in my year but I've got 2 more years to bring it up. :tongue: so hopefully I'll manage.
Yeah I'm really hoping to get into this work placement year programme thing, just bricking it about the interview!

Good luck with teaching, that was something I was considering when I started uni but really now I don't think I could lol :frown: I'm not really a children/young people kind of person. :tongue:

Original post by LSD
Phd is probably beyond me as well tbh, I'm hardly the best in my year but I've got 2 more years to bring it up. :tongue: so hopefully I'll manage.
Yeah I'm really hoping to get into this work placement year programme thing, just bricking it about the interview!

Good luck with teaching, that was something I was considering when I started uni but really now I don't think I could lol :frown: I'm not really a children/young people kind of person. :tongue:

I'm sure it's not! You sound like a very intelligent person. Just believe in yourself! I would be too about the interview, I get so nervous whenever I have to have one. I'm so awkward just 1 on 1 with authority figures :P

And thank you! I always wanted to do teaching, but I was advised to get a degree first then do a post grad. So that's how I ended up in science (although I was tempted by english for a while too!)

Btw, how warm is it....jeez! So glad I have a fan in my room :P
Reply 26
Original post by Mr Rock N Roll
I'm sure it's not! You sound like a very intelligent person. Just believe in yourself! I would be too about the interview, I get so nervous whenever I have to have one. I'm so awkward just 1 on 1 with authority figures :P

And thank you! I always wanted to do teaching, but I was advised to get a degree first then do a post grad. So that's how I ended up in science (although I was tempted by english for a while too!)

Btw, how warm is it....jeez! So glad I have a fan in my room :P

Hehe thanks :P Yeah I'm worried about the interview because I've never had an interview for anything in my life ever... Scared much... :s-smilie: Why does my first have to be such an important one :frown:

I was also tempted by english, had an entire personal statement made for english on UCAS before I thought, nahhhhh biology. :wink:

And yes, its suddenly got stupidly hot!
Original post by LSD
Hehe thanks :P Yeah I'm worried about the interview because I've never had an interview for anything in my life ever... Scared much... :s-smilie: Why does my first have to be such an important one :frown:

I was also tempted by english, had an entire personal statement made for english on UCAS before I thought, nahhhhh biology. :wink:

And yes, its suddenly got stupidly hot!

I know, it would be good if you could have a mock interview first. Just make sure you know your genetics info and areas of research interest and you should be fine :smile:

Really, english too? That's weird :smile: I loved it so much, but I thought the opportunities were maybe lacking slightly compared to science
Reply 28
I know, it would be good if you could have a mock interview first. Just make sure you know your genetics info and areas of research interest and you should be fine :smile:

Really, english too? That's weird :smile: I loved it so much, but I thought the opportunities were maybe lacking slightly compared to science

Yeah that would be good ah well :smile:

Yeah I think the reason I was close to picking english was because I was so good at it, then I kinda realised as much as I liked it I really enjoyed biology stuff more, so went with that :P And yeah, probably more job opportunities with science since I don't really want to do teaching
Original post by LSD
Yeah that would be good ah well :smile:

Yeah I think the reason I was close to picking english was because I was so good at it, then I kinda realised as much as I liked it I really enjoyed biology stuff more, so went with that :P And yeah, probably more job opportunities with science since I don't really want to do teaching

Good reason to stick with bio! I actually only got a B for higher biology and an A for higher english but still went with biology :P

Also, 3rd year genetics got their results tonight! Where are the zoology ones :frown:
Reply 30
Good reason to stick with bio! I actually only got a B for higher biology and an A for higher english but still went with biology :P

Also, 3rd year genetics got their results tonight! Where are the zoology ones :frown:

That's what I got too! Then I went into 6th year and AH biology and AH english were in the same column... I was so angry, I suppose that was really when I made my choice :P

My friends in 1st year got their biology results today as well! GAH I'm so jealous, I haven't heard anything about 2nd year! I don't even know if we get them out one by one or if we have to wait till they're all marked then get them all back at once. That's what happened at xmas :frown:
Original post by LSD
That's what I got too! Then I went into 6th year and AH biology and AH english were in the same column... I was so angry, I suppose that was really when I made my choice :P

My friends in 1st year got their biology results today as well! GAH I'm so jealous, I haven't heard anything about 2nd year! I don't even know if we get them out one by one or if we have to wait till they're all marked then get them all back at once. That's what happened at xmas :frown:

That's not fair first years get theirs back before us! lol :P Yeah you'll probably need to wait til they are all marked and get them all at once.

My school didn't run AH English so I started going to another school to do it but it was going to mean that I missed some periods of AH bio and Higher maths so I had to drop it. Of course, the year after I left they started running AH english, story of my life lol!
Reply 32
That's not fair first years get theirs back before us! lol :P Yeah you'll probably need to wait til they are all marked and get them all at once.

My school didn't run AH English so I started going to another school to do it but it was going to mean that I missed some periods of AH bio and Higher maths so I had to drop it. Of course, the year after I left they started running AH english, story of my life lol!

I know, damn first years sucking up all the markingz. We're still waiting on evolution course work to come back, if he hasn't even marked that yet then it'll be ages before we get the final grade, and we won't get the others back til he's done if they all come out at once grrrr.

My school ran both but at the same time obviously :frown: and English is at the same time in every school where I live so that didn't help either :frown:

Reply 33
Hey guys, I'm just going into second year wooo! Apologies that us first years got our results back first, not our faults :P
I originally applied for Anatomy, think I will be changing to Immunology/Pharmacology or something, can't decide...decisions decisions.

I'm definitely going to pick the human and infection group options just to give me a choice. So I have 40 credits left to fill. Did either of you do Chem 2Y?

Any tips on what to avoid haha?
Reply 34
Original post by kassiee.
Hey guys, I'm just going into second year wooo! Apologies that us first years got our results back first, not our faults :P
I originally applied for Anatomy, think I will be changing to Immunology/Pharmacology or something, can't decide...decisions decisions.

I'm definitely going to pick the human and infection group options just to give me a choice. So I have 40 credits left to fill. Did either of you do Chem 2Y?

Any tips on what to avoid haha?

Haha I also originally applied for anatomy in first year, im now going into 3rd year genetics. The infection group classes are excellent, the human ones are horrendous, the teaching is appalling and everyone in my year hated them, there were a few formal complaints made about the teaching of human stuff. So unless you're going into human biology I wouldn't take them, or you'll hate your second year :tongue:

Essential genetics is an excellent 10 credit to use as a filler, really fun class and reasonably easy. Same with building an organism (but this one has 5pm lectures) evolutionary biology is another simple and fun one for credit filling.

Sorry I've never taken chemistry but everyone I know who took 2Y failed it. If you think you can handle it though or you like chemistry then go for it! But it will make your second year annoyingly more difficult since you don't even really need it :tongue:

Reply 35
Original post by LSD
Haha I also originally applied for anatomy in first year, im now going into 3rd year genetics. The infection group classes are excellent, the human ones are horrendous, the teaching is appalling and everyone in my year hated them, there were a few formal complaints made about the teaching of human stuff. So unless you're going into human biology I wouldn't take them, or you'll hate your second year :tongue:

Essential genetics is an excellent 10 credit to use as a filler, really fun class and reasonably easy. Same with building an organism (but this one has 5pm lectures) evolutionary biology is another simple and fun one for credit filling.

Sorry I've never taken chemistry but everyone I know who took 2Y failed it. If you think you can handle it though or you like chemistry then go for it! But it will make your second year annoyingly more difficult since you don't even really need it :tongue:

Ahh thank you so much! That's great the infection classes are excellent but yeah I think I may go into human biology so they classes are a must :frown: Hopefully they aren't too bad, what was so horrendous, the lecturers or the content?

I'm not really a genetics person although essential genetics sounds alright, especially if it's not too difficult :P After doing Spanish this year, I'd rather not make 2nd year overly difficult haha!

I did enjoy chemistry this year and because I want to take the human and infection options means I can't take both chem courses so I wasn't sure if 2Y was worth it. Is it not much benefit then, can you get by without it? :smile: Don't want it to take over other classes which are more important, especially as I can't go any further with it.
Reply 36
Well I passed all my exams but I didn't get the requirements for automatically getting into third year so I'm waiting now. Problem is, I kinda need to know for SAAS or can I change it if I have to change course.

I'm hopefully doing either Honours in Zoology or a Designated Degree in Animal Biology, tbh I'd be happy with either, I just don't want to have to jump through hoops with SAAS if I have to change anything.
Reply 37
Original post by kassiee.
Ahh thank you so much! That's great the infection classes are excellent but yeah I think I may go into human biology so they classes are a must :frown: Hopefully they aren't too bad, what was so horrendous, the lecturers or the content?

I'm not really a genetics person although essential genetics sounds alright, especially if it's not too difficult :P After doing Spanish this year, I'd rather not make 2nd year overly difficult haha!

I did enjoy chemistry this year and because I want to take the human and infection options means I can't take both chem courses so I wasn't sure if 2Y was worth it. Is it not much benefit then, can you get by without it? :smile: Don't want it to take over other classes which are more important, especially as I can't go any further with it.

Aww unlucky :frown: erm Human f&f demands you to do a ridiculous amount of work for 10 credits it's like swallowing an anatomy dictionary. Boring. Too many labs. Human physiology the lecturers are old and horrendous and awful, they got so many complaints. That class is mixing with neuroscience this year which was not bad but a bit tedious. The content of all is a bit boring.

It's near impossible to fail genetics cause there's so much support it's quite a good and funny class and stuff isn't really in much detail at all.

Chemistry gets about 10 times harder in 2nd year apparently, and it doesn't contribute much to biology I'm going into biomolecular having never did any chemistry, it's not essential and I wouldn't waste time and effort on it for no reason, it might bring your other marks down. It's a really difficult class to take for "fun" in 2nd year.

Reply 38
Original post by Documental
Well I passed all my exams but I didn't get the requirements for automatically getting into third year so I'm waiting now. Problem is, I kinda need to know for SAAS or can I change it if I have to change course.

I'm hopefully doing either Honours in Zoology or a Designated Degree in Animal Biology, tbh I'd be happy with either, I just don't want to have to jump through hoops with SAAS if I have to change anything.

Aww man that sucks, apparently we don't find out till July too about our 3rd year applications and SAAS deadline is the end of June :frown: I don't think it particularly matters though, if you just put zoology honours it can be easily changed later I think. You will probably get into zoology alright anyway since there are about 100 spaces, some of the other courses are much smaller. Were you far off the pre-req grades? They're trying to make as many people happy as possible so you should be okay

Reply 39
Original post by LSD
Aww unlucky :frown: erm Human f&f demands you to do a ridiculous amount of work for 10 credits it's like swallowing an anatomy dictionary. Boring. Too many labs. Human physiology the lecturers are old and horrendous and awful, they got so many complaints. That class is mixing with neuroscience this year which was not bad but a bit tedious. The content of all is a bit boring.

It's near impossible to fail genetics cause there's so much support it's quite a good and funny class and stuff isn't really in much detail at all.

Chemistry gets about 10 times harder in 2nd year apparently, and it doesn't contribute much to biology I'm going into biomolecular having never did any chemistry, it's not essential and I wouldn't waste time and effort on it for no reason, it might bring your other marks down. It's a really difficult class to take for "fun" in 2nd year.

Guess I'm just gonna have to learn to get through the human stuff :frown:

Definitely considering genetics, never thought about it before but it could fill up space :smile:

Yeah that's true, think I might give 2Y a miss! Did you do all biology subjects in 2nd year?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending