The Student Room Group

Grade Specification for Mathematics (further)

Well im currently doing my GCSE's and been looking through possible courses i could take at college for Sixform, i noticed further maths and the required grade to enter the course was A*. My problem is, that i was entered for the GCSE maths exam in year 9, age of 14, and acheived an A. The school decided i should do A-levels maths and i have recently done the Core 1 and Statistics 1 paper. But im really interested in further maths aswel to do in college, and im worried that the college will not accept me to do this course since i do not have an A*. Currently im at the end of Year 10 and about to go to Year 11. Im not sure whether to retake the GCSE maths exam and get that A*, or continue studying C1, C2, S1 etc... without the trouble of going over GCSE maths revision notes.

My question, will they accept me with the A in Maths i acheived in Year 9, or will i have to do the exam again to get that A*? thanks.
Reply 1
not sure which board your doing but with Edexcel there are 18 moduals of maths from level 1 to level 5 so you need 6 to make up an A level you can look on the web site to see how. I'm not sure how old you are or when you should start to do A levels but forget GCSE now just study as many moduals as you can the books by Keith Pledger are great to self teach my only advice which is very important but no one will tell you at your school/ College is DO NOT CASH IN ANY OF YOUR MODUALS when you have all 12 (for 2 A levels) Edexcel will cash them in for you and get you the best possible grades. Once you start to take the moduals at your school they will start to put them together to give you an AS level certificate and then an A2 certificate DO NOT DO THIS as you will find out that you can get much better Grades if you wait until the end.

Hope it helps

PS thats what I'm doing just incase you get a crappy grade you can hide it with two others and still get an A overall if you get what I mean.
Any doubts ask Edexcel and make sure your exam officer knows what you are doing.
Reply 2
Original post by silv9427
not sure which board your doing but with Edexcel there are 18 moduals of maths from level 1 to level 5 so you need 6 to make up an A level you can look on the web site to see how. I'm not sure how old you are or when you should start to do A levels but forget GCSE now just study as many moduals as you can the books by Keith Pledger are great to self teach my only advice which is very important but no one will tell you at your school/ College is DO NOT CASH IN ANY OF YOUR MODUALS when you have all 12 (for 2 A levels) Edexcel will cash them in for you and get you the best possible grades. Once you start to take the moduals at your school they will start to put them together to give you an AS level certificate and then an A2 certificate DO NOT DO THIS as you will find out that you can get much better Grades if you wait until the end.

Hope it helps

PS thats what I'm doing just incase you get a crappy grade you can hide it with two others and still get an A overall if you get what I mean.
Any doubts ask Edexcel and make sure your exam officer knows what you are doing.

This is not relevant, nor true
Reply 3
Original post by Azlor

My question, will they accept me with the A in Maths i acheived in Year 9, or will i have to do the exam again to get that A*? thanks.

I would contact the college

I imagine they will take you with the A, if your AS grade is high enough

I assume that you are expecting to get an A this year in AS maths so that should be adequate as an entry qualification
Reply 4
Original post by TenOfThem
I would contact the college

I imagine they will take you with the A, if your AS grade is high enough

I assume that you are expecting to get an A this year in AS maths so that should be adequate as an entry qualification

thanks, and yh im hoping to do good in the AS maths, although i found S1 very hard :confused:
Reply 5
Original post by TenOfThem
This is not relevant, nor true

it is correct as I am doing the same your college examiner if you tell them not to cash in they don't, but with Edexcel you can do exactly that as I'm doing the exact same thing.
Reply 6
Original post by silv9427
it is correct as I am doing the same your college examiner if you tell them not to cash in they don't, but with Edexcel you can do exactly that as I'm doing the exact same thing.

Which part?

Edexcel do not "cash" anything in for you

Your school ticks the box asking for the modules to be cashed in as a qualification

You can ask to re-aggregate after you have gained AS and or A Level as you add further grades ... or you can only ask for grades at the end

BUT

You do have to "cash" them in else Edexcel will not award and qualifications

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending