The Student Room Group

The "I'm scared I'm going to miss my offer" thread

Scroll to see replies

Philosophy
History
Politics

Making me burn. I hate them, I can't stand it.
Everytime I think, "I'm going to be productive now" I give up inside and feel that what's the point it's already too late.
Original post by IrrationalNumber
Actually, I just want a place to vent.

:frown:

:console:

The uni study thread may also be worth a look, but go for it :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by arnab
Hi I was wondering if you could give me some advice.
I have an offer from UCL & east anglia for bio-chemistry at AAA at biology, chemistry and maths. I was on course to get it, needed around a 64% and 82.5% in my remaining bio and chem exam to get an A overall.

but last week the school made a major error with one of my practical papers in chemistry and they didnt even realise it. The exam board, edexcel, realised it last week and they sent my paper back, so i could do the experiment asap and, hence do the paper. The paper is out of 14marks and worth 35% of the Unit 3 Chemistry and 7% of my AS Chemistry and 3.5% of overall grade in chemistry. So at the end i did the experiment and the paper under an hour, where as people usually get around 2-3hours to do it. Also I had another exam just before the practical, (Edexcel Statistics1), and hence didnt have any time to prepare my self for the practical. I had to rush through the experiment and the paper as it had to get sent off 1pm and i only finished my s1 around 11.30ish. now I think i did really bad on it! like i most probably got half of the 14marks!:angry::angry:

Is there any thing i can do? and if so, what? Please advice

EDIT : from my calculation, based on the marks i already got in unit 1 & 2 & 6 of chemistry, i will most probably will need around 87.5% to get an A in chem which i will probz wont get :'(
That certainly seems to me like an extenuating circumstance, which clearly the Exam Board already knows about. You should make sure the school tells the uni as well, before the results are published. Otherwise, the only thing you can do is to park it and move on. Obsessing about it and trying to work out how many marks you might have got or need to get or whatever is a pointless distraction. I know it's hard, but you will do yourself a major favour if you can do it.
I need a 2.1 to meet my offer for postgrad study, but I've managed to mess this year up and I'm worried that I won't even come close. :frown:
Reply 24
Original post by ugk4life
im definitely gonna take some of that advice and start to go hard with the revision, thanks for the push!

hi. just saw both of your sigs said PS help and unis. so i was wondering that if i choose to reapply and take a gap year next year, on my PS do i have to include things i will be doing in my gap year or can i apply with the same PS? as in, i dont really have anything planned for summer ie work experience or any sort of extra curricular and i cant see that being possible tbh so i wont have much to add to the PS itself apart from the grades i achieved. im assuming that merely talking about my plans for the gap year would be sort of pointless since it would be pure speculation (they have no real reason to believe i will follow through with any plans).

im sorry , this has turned to be a very convoluted post but i would be so appreciative if you could lend me some advice on this matter.

thanks a lot.
Can't really add much to what Potally_Tissed has said. Sspending a gap year earning some money if you can is a perfectly reasonable thing to do and doesn't need to be explained or defended in your PS.

I'd be prepared to bet, though, that if it comes to reapplying you'll want to update that PS anyway :smile:
Reply 25
C4 makes me want to be violently ill

Fml
Original post by jhenryg

Fml

Have a flick through an FP2 textbook and be glad you aren't doing that :tongue:
Original post by FullMetalX
Philosophy
History
Politics

Making me burn. I hate them, I can't stand it.
Everytime I think, "I'm going to be productive now" I give up inside and feel that what's the point it's already too late.

Mine are History, Philosophy and Economics. I need AAA for my choice, and to get an A in each subject I need 63/120 in History, 64/100 on both my A2 Philosophy papers, and 76/100 in A2 Economics (though I re-sat one AS module a few days ago which I'm pretty certain I did better in this time, so I really need a lower mark in A2 to get an A).

I'm pretty stressed, because I really don't know what I'm going to do if I don't get into my firm choice, as I really don't wanna go to my insurance... :frown:
Reply 28
If i miss my firm offer by one grade and they dont allow me on the course but i dont want to go to my insurance uni. Can i reject them and retake the year or resit exams?
Original post by ch0wm4n
If i miss my firm offer by one grade and they dont allow me on the course but i dont want to go to my insurance uni. Can i reject them and retake the year or resit exams?

Yes, if on results day you've got into your insurance choice you can ask them to release you from your place. This may take a few hours or even days for them to get around to, which is fine if you don't intend to use Clearing, but if you do want to use Clearing then time is a major factor and it would be better to remove them as your insurance choice before results day if you know for sure that you don't want to go there.
Reply 30
Original post by Potally_Tissed
Yes, if on results day you've got into your insurance choice you can ask them to release you from your place. This may take a few hours or even days for them to get around to, which is fine if you don't intend to use Clearing, but if you do want to use Clearing then time is a major factor and it would be better to remove them as your insurance choice before results day if you know for sure that you don't want to go there.

Ok thanks for your help, hopefully i don't need to do it :biggrin:.
Original post by ch0wm4n
Ok thanks for your help, hopefully i don't need to do it :biggrin:.

Well indeed :tongue: Always sensible to be prepared for the possibility though :yep:
English Lit Unit 3 :'(
Reply 33
Original post by Minerva
That certainly seems to me like an extenuating circumstance, which clearly the Exam Board already knows about. You should make sure the school tells the uni as well, before the results are published. Otherwise, the only thing you can do is to park it and move on. Obsessing about it and trying to work out how many marks you might have got or need to get or whatever is a pointless distraction. I know it's hard, but you will do yourself a major favour if you can do it.

Thank you for the advice, i will talk to my ucas tutor about it on monday and see what she has to say.
Reply 34
Original post by jhenryg

Fml

same here :*
Original post by Potally_Tissed
Have a flick through an FP2 textbook and be glad you aren't doing that :tongue:

This, this, THIS.
Got 90% in C3 and got 85% in C4, retaking it for an A*.
FP2? I got 24%. I was getting ~70% in the mocks but the AQA Jan 2012 paper was just... awful.
Reply 36
I know it's early on but I took subjects this year thinking they would help me get into Uni for something like biomed or tropical disease.
I took Chemistry, Biology, English Language and Physics. The thing is throughout the whole of this year I have really struggled with Physics which therefore brought down my grades in Biology and Chemistry.

I know it sounds crazy, but I have literally been so worried about the fact I have messed up these exams so badly due to my difficulty in Physics and that I will have to declare my rubbish grades. Do I have to declare them still?

I'm tearing my hair out about the situation and feeling pretty stressed all the time. Had a really disasterous Physics AQA paper today so have chosen to do a bit of an 'easier' subject such as Psychology to replace Physics and hopefully get a better grade in it. Will this suffice even if the typical offer is AAB? And can I just not apply in September?

Sorry for the rant! Mum doesn't know what to do with me!
Brought here by OCR Biology Unit 2 - F212 - May 2012
-_______-
Reply 38
Original post by millie7
I know it's early on but I took subjects this year thinking they would help me get into Uni for something like biomed or tropical disease.
I took Chemistry, Biology, English Language and Physics. The thing is throughout the whole of this year I have really struggled with Physics which therefore brought down my grades in Biology and Chemistry.

I know it sounds crazy, but I have literally been so worried about the fact I have messed up these exams so badly due to my difficulty in Physics and that I will have to declare my rubbish grades. Do I have to declare them still?

I'm tearing my hair out about the situation and feeling pretty stressed all the time. Had a really disasterous Physics AQA paper today so have chosen to do a bit of an 'easier' subject such as Psychology to replace Physics and hopefully get a better grade in it. Will this suffice even if the typical offer is AAB? And can I just not apply in September?

Sorry for the rant! Mum doesn't know what to do with me!
There is no rule that says you have to apply in September; you can apply whenever you like as long as you have the necessary qualifications or expect to achieve them within the year - and it doesn't matter if you are 18, 28, or 58.

It does sound to me like you are over-anxious, and getting more so. I would suggest that a conversation with your sixth form tutor might be a good idea. Thinking about taking alternative subjects at this stage is an unnecessary distraction from the real task before you. If it's all getting too much, ask for help. Don't put it off.
Reply 39
chem b salters sent me here

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending