The Student Room Group

If you found a purse on the ground in town, what would you do?

I lost my purse in town yesterday afternoon, I already retraced my steps this morning,nothing. I don't know where to check for it or if it has been handed in anywhere. I don't have my address or phone number anywhere in the purse, just a bank card, some money and loads of membership cards. Would you go hand it in at the bank or.. I don't know, where? :confused:

Scroll to see replies

I would probably hand it in at the bank, because I assume they'd be able to trace you based on the card information.
i would like to think i would be a good Samaritan and give it to the police. but realistically i would just keep anything valuable in it and then throw it away.
Reply 3
If it wasn't a pikey that picked it up it'll probably be handed in to the police station
Reply 4
If I couldn't contact you with any information in the purse, I'd probably go to/ring the bank associated with your debit card. Personally I probably wouldn't hand it in at a police station just because for me, the branch is a bit of a trek.

If you had Uni ID I'd probably ring the uni above all else actually, see if they can tell me where to hand it or pass along my contact details for you to contact me with.
Original post by joey11223
If I couldn't contact you with any information in the purse, I'd probably go to/ring the bank associated with your debit card. Personally I probably wouldn't hand it in at a police station just because for me, the branch is a bit of a trek.

If you had Uni ID I'd probably ring the uni above all else actually, see if they can tell me where to hand it or pass along my contact details for you to contact me with.

Angling for a reward there? :wink:
I wouldnt pick it up.
Reply 7
Yea the police are probably the most likely place for someone to hand it in, but chances are it's been nicked.

Make sure you tell your bank asap. Not just because they need to cancel your card, but also because it takes frikking ages to get a new one and it's annoying.
I would loot it probably.

Spoiler

Reply 9
I would probably look inside out of sheer nosiness but I highly doubt I'd take anything.

Don't worry too much, stuff does get hande in more than people think. I've handed in a few purses and iPods in my time, and had my smartphone handed in after I left it in a shop. Have a little faith, I hope it gets back to you :smile:
Original post by like a boss
I would loot it probably.

Spoiler

I don't really need the heavy armour right now, but the flawless amethysts are coming with me. :p:
Original post by TheSownRose
Angling for a reward there? :wink:

Maybe I'm cynical but I wouldn't entirely trust the chain of custody over an item, I may hand it into someone at the institution, who's to say they won't help themselves and just claim it was handed in empty?

Also especially with term ending for Uni about now, the person may not be on campus, more likely living in the city they're at uni in. It might be easier to simply meet them then for them to travel. I suppose I'm biased with a campus 14 miles outside of town, so in my case it would be much easier to meet someone in town then go 14 miles.
I'd pick it up and look for any contact information, and if there wasn't any I'd hand it in at a bank or police station. I'd never take anything from it.
Reply 13
I'll phone the bank and police up tomorrow, if they're open, I don't even know if U can phone the police but I'll try :s-smilie: I don't really care if they take the money, it's like £10.70p but I don't want to phone subway and boots and co-op and all these places to get new cards :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
If you asked me this 6 months ago i'd say that i'd obviously keep it because it's FREE money and who the **** is going to hand it in?

But nowadays i'm feeling more moral about things for some reason and unless i was desperately skint and needed money to pay for food for myself or any major debts, i'd definitely just go into a police station and hand it in.

I know that i'd appreciate it if someone did that for me if i lost my bank card, ID, money etc so i should be willing to do the same.

Call up any police stations in areas that you might have lost it, basically places people who found it would walk into and ask them if anyone's handed in a purse, i hope you find it.
Reply 15
Original post by damilola
I'll phone the bank and police up tomorrow, if they're open, I don't even know if U can phone the police but I'll try :s-smilie: I don't really care if they take the money, it's like £10.70p but I don't want to phone subway and boots and co-op and all these places to get new cards :frown:

:facepalm: yes you can call the police. Google/yellow pages your local police station. That's probably worth remembering for the future. I'm starting to understand now why people dial 999 when they aren't really in an emergency.

I don't think you can really call subway about a lost loyalty card. Isn't that just some piece of paper they put stamps on? Best you can do is just ask for a new one next time you are in the store. Same for boots/co-op.

I would just worry about the bank card for the moment. Are you allowed to use it to buy things online? If so, then next time you really need to contact the bank the moment you realise it's gone. Otherwise someone could be ordering themselves all kinds of stuff using your card.
I'd lick it. Also, police.
Reply 17
i would probably either check to see if there was any contact details in it, like drivers licence or something and if not i would look at bank cards and take it to a bank that is associated with a card in it, they could then trace it to you and contact you to sort out returning it. iv picked up the odd £5/£10 note off the street on the rare occasion that iv found one lying around, but something just seems wrong about keeping someones purse, especially when it can easily be traced back to the owner and i would like to think that if it was my purse then someone would think to do the right thing and take it to a bank or something for me.
give the police your number in case it gets handed in later. If i was busy/couldn't get to the police station that day to hand it in, I'd go the next.
Reply 19
A year ago i would of picked it up and kept anything of worth, now i would pick it up and hand it in, provided the nearest station was within a 10 minute walking distance...good luck finding it and just hope the right person picked it up...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending