The Student Room Group

Burnout

I think I'm burnt out (or is it burned? iunno). This year I've had so much trouble with my work, in that I haven't really done any, because of this and various ailments. :colonhash:

I can't concentrate or learn from lectures, when I actually go to them, but I always make sure my notes are up to date. So I have all these notes and several textbooks, but I don't know what to do with them. It's like I've totally forgotten how to learn.

I spend so much time every day trying to choose a bit of work to do, and trying to work out how to do it, that I end up doing nothing and then I feel bad for wasting the day.

In short, I need help.

Thanks,
+-

Scroll to see replies

Study 45 minutes then give yourself a 15 minute break.

For an all nighter I revised 45 minutes, then lay on my bed for 10 minutes then check the net for 5 minutes then carry on.

I managed to do around 6 hours.

Read the textbook, make notes.
Read notes, highlight key points that weren't in the text book.
Write up all the notes on paper with diagrams etc.
Highlight key points by going through what you've written
Put it in a file.
1 Week before the exam (or how ever long you think you need) revise 45 min, break 15 min.

Also I found that by darkening the entire room, and using a table lamp (£15 Sainsbury's) it helps with distractions, and keeps you focused on the task at hand. Then when you need to relax you can lie on your bed and close your eyes for a bit.

Well that's what I did anyway.
Reply 2
Original post by Please Register
Study 45 minutes then give yourself a 15 minute break.

Read the textbook, make notes.
Read notes, highlight key points that weren't in the text book.

Well that's what I did anyway.

Cool thanks, I'll give it okay after my nap :redface:

Why did you start with the textbook? Doesn't that make it likely that you'll read things that aren't relevant?
I find that the human brain is not akin to a hard drive in which memory is 'filled' or 'used up', but an extraordinary organ that has no limit. If you think you might get confused with other information, it just means you didn't know it before hand.

Also, extra reading (a couple of paragraphs either side of key points is good for understanding the topic, as well being useful blagging material in an essay question).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Please Register
I find that the human brain is not akin to a hard drive in which memory is 'filled' or 'used up', but an extraordinary organ that has no limit. If you think you might get confused with other information, it just means you didn't know it before hand.

Also, extra reading (a couple of paragraphs either side of key points is good for understanding the topic, as well being useful blagging material in an essay question).

Not sure what happened to your post there buddy, but I understand :closedeyes:
Reply 5
I don't think I've ever found it this hard to work. :dong:

In previous years, I've had a metric ****-tonne of work to do, but I got it done eventually. This year I have more work than ever and... I'm barely doing anything :confused:

ffs.
Change your environment. Work around people to gain a variety of different opinions. Go to the library in the morning and the evening and see which works best for you. Work with natural light.

As for the work itself, just try and go back to basics and see why you took your course in the first place. Worked for me!
Reply 7
Original post by wanderlust.xx
Change your environment. Go to the library in the morning and the evening and see which works best for you. Work with natural light.

As for the work itself, just try and go back to basics and see why you took your course in the first place. Worked for me!

Thanks!
Reply 8
:sigh:
Reply 9
Original post by + polarity -
:sigh:

I feel the same dude. :console:
Before I go to bed, I shall write my thoughts.

Over the past few days, I have been trying to restart (or just start) studying (I'm doing my exams at a later date, holla), and I don't know what's wrong, but it's just not happening. It's like I'm trying to distract myself, to do anything apart from reading. So every day I wake up and tell myself, "All right, time to do some reading." and nothing of the sort gets done. Sure, what I do instead may not entirely be a waste of time, but it's certainly not what I intended to do!

I don't know why I can't work. I used to be so good at it. I did a lot of reading for the 2 projects I worked on this year, so why can't I open my lecture notes and start reading? I have a feeling it might be a fear of failure, a fear that reared its ugly head earlier this year. I have virtually everything I need to do well (or even better) than I have done before; the notes, textbooks (:pirate:), people to help me fill in the gaps, and most importantly time. So why am I wasting it?

I feel like a failure already.
Reply 11
When you have so little to do, it can be a real effort to do anything. My advice is to give yourself more to do. Less time to kill.

Get a job or join a few societies. Preferably both. And hang out with motivated people on your course. They will inspire and motivate you.
Try the pomodoro technique. Worked ridiculously well for me.

Don't read or check facebook or anything like that when you're on a break. Do what other people suggested and just sit back and relax for 15 minutes.

Most efficient way of working and you'll get through twice as much. :smile:
Reply 13
I suggest you install RescueTime, a program that tracks how you spend time on your computer and also read up on ego depletion/limited willpower.
:hi:

Original post by willbee
When you have so little to do, it can be a real effort to do anything. My advice is to give yourself more to do. Less time to kill.

Get a job or join a few societies. Preferably both. And hang out with motivated people on your course. They will inspire and motivate you.

The thing is... I don't have a 'little' today, the only unit I could use to describe it is a metric ****-tonne. I have to learn, understand, revise, practice the entirety of the year's work in 3 months!

I'm sure it's possible, I've had to work pretty hard to get things done in the past, but I'm just a mess now. I'm not even at university atm (I'm at home) and my legs are ****ed up, so I don't think I can get a job or join societies!

All the motivated people on my course are hundreds of miles away and doing exams, I doubt they'd have the time to talk to me about whatever it is I need to whine about.

Original post by Banishingboredom
Try the pomodoro technique. Worked ridiculously well for me.

Don't read or check facebook or anything like that when you're on a break. Do what other people suggested and just sit back and relax for 15 minutes.

Most efficient way of working and you'll get through twice as much. :smile:

Very interesting. I got a little software timer a few days ago, but I haven't used it yet! I will definitely try this :u:

I've found that at my worst, I write a few words, or read a sentence and then dash to read something totally irrelevant on here, or Facebook maybe (most likely here, I hate Facebook). wtf.

Original post by kristol90
I suggest you install RescueTime, a program that tracks how you spend time on your computer and also read up on ego depletion/limited willpower.

:afraid:

I'm reading about ego depletion right now, it's also really interesting :yep: Do you think that's what's happened to me? :puppyeyes:
Reply 15
(I'm doing my exams at a later date, holla)

+6
Original post by ROYP
+6

I'm glad you liked that. :p:
:

Very interesting. I got a little software timer a few days ago, but I haven't used it yet! I will definitely try this :u:

I've found that at my worst, I write a few words, or read a sentence and then dash to read something totally irrelevant on here, or Facebook maybe (most likely here, I hate Facebook). wtf.

Yeah I was/am exactly the same. I find it really difficult to focus when I'm working at home, but the exact opposite when I'm at the library or at someone else's house!

The pomodoro technique forbids you from distracting yourself, which is good. For the 25 minutes, you belong to the clock and have to imagine that if you stop working something bad will happen. Charlie Brooker wrote a really good article about it, which was where I first read about it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Banishingboredom
Yeah I was/am exactly the same. I find it really difficult to focus when I'm working at home, but the exact opposite when I'm at the library or at someone else's house!

The pomodoro technique forbids you from distracting yourself, which is good. For the 25 minutes, you belong to the clock and have to imagine that if you stop working something bad will happen. Charlie Brooker wrote a really good article about it, which was where I first read about it.

Reading it now!

Did you ever find it really hard to wake up? I'm so bad now. My computer turns itself off at 3 now, to encourage me to go to bed earlier, but I just can't wake up. I have several alarms, and they all require me to solve math problems before they turn off. Now I solve all the problems then fall back into bed :s-smilie:

I've woken up at an 'acceptable' time about once or twice in the last 2 weeks, but for the last few days I've just been getting worse and worse... 1, 2, 3 today.

ffs. :facepalm2:
I just did 3 Pomodoros (it that the correct way to use the word?). I think this is the most work I've done in a day in at least 2 months. :proud:

Quick Reply

Latest