The Student Room Group

Naturally thin: a myth?

So you hear of these people who 'eat loads' and 'do no exercise' but claim that their slim physique is natural and they've got good genes.
Personally, I have no idea how this could be possible.
What do you think? Can this be possible? Is there such thing as 'naturally skinny'?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
yes it is possible
Reply 2
Original post by poyyo
yes it is possible

Can you elaborate? Do you know of an example?
Its not a case of genes, but rather metabolism. If you have a good metabolism, your body burns up fat quicker etc. I'm not sure if metabolism is something you inherit, but to be honest, some people are naturally thin, so as far as I'm concerned, it isn't a myth. I know plenty of people who eat ridiculous amounts of food, try to put weight on, and never do.
It's possible. Both my dad and I have always struggled to maintain a good weight despite how much we eat, however the amount of times stars say it as an excuse for how they've lost weight is just crap. It's not that common I don't think and I HIGHLY doubt that only A list celebs are afflicted with it. It's like all the other rubbish they come out with for having lost weight 'allergies' 'working hard' stress' etc. what a load of crap - trying to conform to industry standards is more like for 90% of them!
No, its not a myth.
Reply 6
I eat whatever I want and weigh 7 stone ha, it's just a ridiculously fast metabolism.
Reply 7
The whole fast metabolism thing is a myth I think, they just don't eat very much, I used to be really skinny and think I had a fast metabolism, then when I wanted to gain weight and started going to the gym and counting calories I realised I'd just been eating **** all (<1600 cals a day) for years.
It's not a myth.

I eat, and I eat a lot. I eat a range of foods too and never put on any weight, I'm really quite skinny.

It's not a good tihng though.
Reply 9
Original post by heyAmy
Can you elaborate? Do you know of an example?

like others have said it comes down to a fast metabolism

as for an example, i know plenty of slim people who are like this
Reply 10
I spent nearly 5 years of my life with this general routine:

Wake up and get ready
Walk to school in the morning (5 mins)
Walk home (5 mins)
PC/Xbox
Sleep

I rarely did any exercise at all and I used to eat way too much. So much so that I'm know to the family as the one that noone ever sees and I used to get complained at by my mother for eating too much.

I'm still thin :rolleyes:

But don't let people fool you into thinking it's a good thing because it certainly is not.
Reply 11
Original post by Jono404
The whole fast metabolism thing is a myth I think, they just don't eat very much, I used to be really skinny and think I had a fast metabolism, then when I wanted to gain weight and started going to the gym and counting calories I realised I'd just been eating **** all (<1600 cals a day) for years.

I went to nando's yesterday and ate 3/4 of a chicken, chips and rice and about 3 cokes. This isn't my everyday diet obviously but it's not out of the ordinary and I weigh just over 7 stone! Explain that one...
Reply 12
I think it's a bit of a myth - metabolism was proven only to vary a little bit between people based on genetic differences, aside from increasing metabolism due to being a higher weight. Most naturally thin people tend to eat less than they think they eat and/or fidget a lot (just tapping your foot all day burns something like 300 extra calories). If you burn 2500 calories a day, if you write down a load of food that adds up to 2500 calories, it's probably a lot more than you think you could eat without putting weight on.

On the other hand, things like hyperthyroidism can make you very thin.
Reply 13
Original post by Jono404

I agree with the fast metabolism being a myth. Seems kinda weird..
Reply 14
Original post by Jono404

someone i know who is extremely slim literally eats the most rubbish i know of anyone

like at least 3 packets of crisps a day, a portion of chips, curry, bacon, biscuits, fizzy drinks etc. they are never without food. they do absolutely no form of physical exercise either

she told me she's thin because she uses the toilet a lot though so the 'food goes right through her' :tongue:
Reply 15
Original post by rutheliz
I went to nando's yesterday and ate 3/4 of a chicken, chips and rice and about 3 cokes. This isn't my everyday diet obviously but it's not out of the ordinary and I weigh just over 7 stone! Explain that one...

Quite simple, chicken is a lean meat that isn't that calorific, probably didn't eat that much rice and 3 cans of coke is just over 400 cals. It's not a question of what you're eating, you are just probably eating under your daily requirement without realising. I'm not saying it's unhealthy or that it's not possible to be naturally thin, just that it's down to appetite rather than metabolism. For me personally I just don't particularly enjoy eating or food, but for the sake of the gym I have to try and top 3000 cals a day, though sometimes I find it hard to get over 2500, which is the recommended amount for a man.
Reply 16
The reason I ask is because my friend claimed that she ate a lot and did not exercise but when you actually looked at her diet, she didn't eat breakfast, had a sandwich and a chocolate bar for lunch and just had a regular 500-cal meal for dinner. And on top of that she walked to and from school half an hour each way.
It just made me question whether people actually were 'naturally skinny' or whether they just don't eat a lot but think they do.
Usually the case is that they think they're eating a lot when they aren't. For example they might be eating crisps or chocolate at lunch and their friends will be like "wtf", but really their total calories is probably low because they only eat dinner or something.

Or you could say that isn't a myth. Reason being that some people stay "thin" but still gain fat, but it isn't a noticeable. They become skinny fat. It isn't noticeable in clothes but they're still getting fatter, even when appearing the same "thin" size. Plus their internal health is going to go downhill.
Reply 18
@OP

What about being "thick"? Do you think it can sometimes come naturally/genetically or do you think that's a myth?
I can vowge that this is NOT a myth because it is down to metabolism. I am naturally skinny as was my grandfather and it seems to be passed down to the males in my family, called the "Kealey Gene" where I can eat and eat and not gain any weight. =P

EDIT:
Terrible English Grammar.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest