The Student Room Group

S2 Edexcel Thursday 24th May AM - PAPER & SOLUTIONS IN FIRST POST

Scroll to see replies

Reply 620
Original post by Gibbo81
Can you remember how you got it?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I integrated 1/3 - x/30 with upper limit x and lower limit 4, the constant I got was 16/15. I just tried again and that is what I got.
I reckon the boundaries will be very similar to those in January 2012:
100 - 74
A* - 70
A - 66
B - 60
C - 54
D - 48
E - 42

Book it.
Reply 622
Original post by exam2k10
I integrated 1/3 - x/30 with upper limit x and lower limit 4, the constant I got was 16/15. I just tried again and that is what I got.

Yep. Then you've got to add the area of the previous region(s) then you'll get -2/3 or what ever it was. Also it should be -16/15

Reply 623
Original post by Arsey
Public forum

Don't worry. I'll pm you

Reply 624
Original post by Gibbo81
Yep. Then you've got to add the area of the previous region(s) then you'll get -2/3 or what ever it was. Also it should be -16/15

That's what I meant, -16/15, sorry. But why would you add the area of the previous regions? Don't you just want the area of that region alone?
Original post by Gibbo81
Yeah you will get 2 or 3 methods for part a and possibly a method for part b so maybe 4 marks.

How ?? I think i can only get maximum 2 out of 5 really . In my opinion , there have to be at least 2 accuracy marks so if u do poisson , u never going to get that
Reply 626
That's what I meant, -16/15, sorry. But why would you add the area of the previous regions? Don't you just want the area of that region alone?

Because F(x) is the total area up to that point of the whole PDF

Reply 627
Original post by tangkykiet
How ?? I think i can only get maximum 2 out of 5 really . In my opinion , there have to be at least 2 accuracy marks so if u do poisson , u never going to get that

Sorry I thought you meant the whole of Q8. Yeah I reckon you'll probably get 2 or possibly 3 out of 5 in the first part.

Reply 628
Original post by JordanS94
what did peoples sketch look like? best I can describe mine is a sorta volcano :lol:

Curved from 0 to the top then straight line between 3-4 and then straight line down to 10
Not 100% on numbers but it was curve
Horizontal
Straight line down

Original post by Gibbo81
Sorry I thought you meant the whole of Q8. Yeah I reckon you'll probably get 2 or possibly 3 out of 5 in the first part.

No worry , thanks you for your help
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 630
Original post by jukebox123
I reckon the boundaries will be very similar to those in January 2012:
100 - 74
A* - 70
A - 66
B - 60
C - 54
D - 48
E - 42

Book it.

Hope ur right :smile: some of the questions seemed to trip people so if that's the case in hopeful for an A :biggrin:

Reply 631
Original post by meraphox
Hope ur right :smile: some of the questions seemed to trip people so if that's the case in hopeful for an A :biggrin:

I think 66 is a bit high. We'll see.

Reply 632
Original post by Gibbo81
Because F(x) is the total area up to that point of the whole PDF

So how many marks do I lose for that part if I got everything else right?

Also for the next part (7c), do I lose all the marks or do you reckon I get marks for error carried forward?
Reply 633
I got the critical region to be less than or equal to 7 and bigger than or equal to 17 :frown: how many marks will i lose for putting 17 instead of 18?
Reply 634
So how many marks do I lose for that part if I got everything else right?

Also for the next part (7c), do I lose all the marks or do you reckon I get marks for error carried forward?

You'll lose 3 marks probably as I guess you got the other constant wrong as well. Then you'll probably lose 1 more in the final part.

Reply 635
Original post by genius017
I got the critical region to be less than or equal to 7 and bigger than or equal to 17 :frown: how many marks will i lose for putting 17 instead of 18?

Depends what working you did but one or two is my guess

Original post by Gibbo81

Hey Gibbo, just checking this is fine - if you wrote the CRs down from tables straight away (with their probabilities) you shouldn't lose any marks right?
Hi Gibbo, thanks for the solutions. +rep

I was wondering for 5d, if I calculated the probability inside 0.5min either side of the mean rather than outside, would I be able to pick up a mark? I was only really lacking the "1 - ans" part if I had tackled the real question this way I believe :smile:
Reply 638
Original post by safmaster
Hey Gibbo, just checking this is fine - if you wrote the CRs down from tables straight away (with their probabilities) you shouldn't lose any marks right?

Yeah should be fine. I just include more working in the solutions so people know how I did it.

Reply 639
Original post by Jorgeyy
Hi Gibbo, thanks for the solutions. +rep

I was wondering for 5d, if I calculated the probability inside 0.5min either side of the mean rather than outside, would I be able to pick up a mark? I was only really lacking the "1 - ans" part if I had tackled the real question this way I believe :smile:

Yeah think you'll get at least one for that. Maybe two if you're lucky but one is the safe bet.

Quick Reply