The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Introvert2020
Cheers, much appreciated.

Both legs were poor but you definitely deserved it as your superiority did just shine through in the end and apart from the odd spells, you always looked more likely.

Either way, as you rightly say, it's been a great season for us, to even get into the playoffs at all when everyone had us down for relegation (and even the most optimistic of Boro fans had us as just about surviving). The real challenge though is this summer - which could well be a long one what with all the interest around our players, not least from Westley's Preston.

Scott Laird, who is out of contract, recently said in an interview that "you are a well-run club", the second-person suggests that he doesn't see himself as part of the club anymore, so I think he's leaving. Captain Mark Roberts has promised that "we'll fight again next season" so we're hoping that means he's staying on!

As long as we retain our star defenders - Roberts, Jon Ashton and goalkeeper Chris Day - I think we'll be alright for mid-table. If we do well next season I think we can start expecting to stay in League One for the long-term - consolidation will be key.

Good luck to you at Wembley!

Yes, you must keep those players!

Thanks, we are gonna need it! :redface:
Stevenage release eight players while a further two (Scott Laird and John Mousinho) have declined new contracts and will also be moving on.

Chris Beardsley and Joel Byrom are still in negotiations but could well be moving on also. This puts us down to about 13 first-team players!
Stevenage release eight players while a further two (Scott Laird and John Mousinho) have declined new contracts and will also be moving on.

Chris Beardsley and Joel Byrom are still in negotiations but could well be moving on also. This puts us down to about 13 first-team players!

You're doing better than Wycombe! I'd be surprised if we had 15 at the moment.
Original post by samtheegg
You're doing better than Wycombe! I'd be surprised if we had 15 at the moment.

Nothing annoys me more than players getting a club relegated then moving on because they feel they are too good to play at a lower level, even though it is party their fault in the first place!

Talking of Wycombe, what made Mousinho leave you two seasons ago for Stevenage? I must admit I'm very shocked and disappointed he's left. When he joined us, Wycombe were among the favourites for promotion ahead of the 2010/11 season, whereas Boro were predicted little more than midtable so in that sense it was a step back for him (it just so happened, of course, that we both went up).

We're certainly in no position to have offered more cash than he earned with you - was he released by Wycombe? Was he very much out of the side? Seeing as he still looked a top player in League One I had always assumed that maybe he was just one of those guys that put football ahead of cash, but maybe not...
Nothing annoys me more than players getting a club relegated then moving on because they feel they are too good to play at a lower level, even though it is party their fault in the first place!

Talking of Wycombe, what made Mousinho leave you two seasons ago for Stevenage? I must admit I'm very shocked and disappointed he's left. When he joined us, Wycombe were among the favourites for promotion ahead of the 2010/11 season, whereas Boro were predicted little more than midtable so in that sense it was a step back for him (it just so happened, of course, that we both went up).

We're certainly in no position to have offered more cash than he earned with you - was he released by Wycombe? Was he very much out of the side? Seeing as he still looked a top player in League One I had always assumed that maybe he was just one of those guys that put football ahead of cash, but maybe not...

As you put it above. Spurred to move on by money.

Roger Johnson and Scott Dann :wink: What happened to them this season? Relegated again:rolleyes:

They both started believing their own hype. Roger Johnson actually said to a Birmingham fan when he played here "I play for your club, it doesn't mean I have to talk to you". Not even a hello.
I wish to offer my congratulations to York City on returning to the football league and winning the FA Trophy. So it's another non-league season for Luton then- Eric Morecambe must be turning in his grave.
The decision of Swindon Town to offer a trial to the man who killed two young children, Luke McCormick, is disgraceful.
Joel Byrom confirmed to be leaving the club, aswell - I don't think he was fully settled in the south-east and wants to go back up north.

But we've finally made some signings - Steve Arnold from Wycombe as back-up goalkeeper, James Dunne from Exeter and this morning Greg Tansey from Inverness CT. There should be a good few more coming in over the next few months.
Wednesday have signed Chris Kirkland, but had a bid for Michael Antonio (circa £350k) rejected by Reading. Other players in the rumour mill include Ivan Klasnic and Lucciano Becchio!!
I can see Huds doing it later.

Hope I'm wrong though. Beautiful day to be down at Wembley, hope any blades fans off here that have gone have a great day and get the result you want.
Very cagey first half here. Hoping and praying that this is the year the Terriers go up.
****ing hell, quite some drama in the penalty shoot-out.

Well done to 'Uddersfield and commiserations Sheff Utd - would have much preferred another trip to Sheffield if I'm honest though.
Indeed, unbelievable scenes.

Of all the people to miss, it had to be Simonsen - he'd made some cracking saves in both the game and the shootout.

Smithies' save from Williamson's penalty was quite something though - trust me.
Great penalty shoot-out with regards to tension, but the first seven or eight penalties were just dreadful. :lol: Congratulations to Huddersfield; it's a shame that they seem unlikely to keep Jordan Rhodes...
Yet again we didn't turn up in a play off final. Gutted. 3rd place, 90 points, most goals scored in the league and nothing to show for it. Joke.
Terrible game with two teams far too scared to go for it. Wonder if Blatter was watching, if penos didnt exist that game would still be going on as I type.
Original post by ipswichblade
Yet again we didn't turn up in a play off final. Gutted. 3rd place, 90 points, most goals scored in the league and nothing to show for it. Joke.

It seems such a cliché to say it, but imagine what would have been if you'd had Ched available.
Original post by original_username
Terrible game with two teams far too scared to go for it. Wonder if Blatter was watching, if penos didnt exist that game would still be going on as I type.

Yes because there was so much riding on it. Too much pressure on both teams but especially us, being the team who finished 3rd and 9 points ahead of them. Tis a joke.
Delighted for Huddersfield, Christ knows it's been a long time coming for promotion. Plus worth mentioning that's three teams Simon Grayson's moved up - Blackpool, Leeds and Huddersfield.

Was working so I missed the penalties, gonna watch them later. Thank God I wasn't watching live, or my pants may not have stayed quite so white. :u:

Latest