The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rubgish
The bathrooms are like ones you'd have at home, ie shower, toilet, sink all in one room + some extra space, so they can't get in unless you leave the door unlocked :smile:

I thought they were a row of showers/toilets as well! Now I need to reassess my mental image. So there are three bathrooms, two with showers, so eight people share two showers and a bath... and each room has a basin. Isn't that really crowded sometimes?

Also, when you say self-contained... I still have a difficult time picturing that. Is each floor one flat? Is the entrance to the flat one used solely by the occupants of that flat, or is there a stairwell for each block or something?
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
What's the consensus on UH? Want to be in stoke bishop area for the social life but I also want my halls to be self catered

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 7242
Is it true that UH has 5 people to a bathroom, kitchen and toilet?
Reply 7243
Original post by Hemzo

Original post by punctuation
I thought they were a row of showers/toilets as well! Now I need to reassess my mental image. So there are three bathrooms, two with showers, so eight people share two showers and a bath... and each room has a basin. Isn't that really crowded sometimes?

One shower per 4-5 people isn't that bad, manage it at home currently. We have an informal routine though... I suppose it could be a nightmare if you have one person who has a shower at different times each day and takes half an hour.

I do not like the idea of 2 shower cubicles in a room however. Not quite sure how you'd manage to put your towel somewhere dry, get out of the shower and grab it before anyone had a chance to see you.

Pics:
Hiatt Baker
Manor Hall
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Hemzo

Yes :smile: (I though it was 6 but i could be mistaken, though it's definitely 6 for en-suites either way but not 100% sure about the normal UH flats)

There are 48 en suite flats and about 200ish non en-suites I believe :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7245
According to the site, UH has 253 without en suite and 48 en suite.

"Shower room and WC shared in flats of 5 students"

"Kitchen/diner in each flat of 5-6 students"

So I assume if you have en suite you share with one more person? :rolleyes:

Looking more closely, I'm starting to like UH. It's in Stoke Bishop, cheap and as far as I can see has individual showers.
(edited 11 years ago)
Thanks for the info. Does anyone have photos of Goldney bathrooms? or just photos of the interior of Goldney in general...
Reply 7247
I assume you mean other than the ones on the bristol website? I tried myself :dontknow:

Their site can be a pain, half of them don't have photos for the bathrooms which is a major factor. Neither do they have a single place to compare the rooms available, you have to go back and forth.

I don't care how nice and pretty the outside looks, I want to know how nice the room itself is. :hmpf:
Original post by A.J10
I assume you mean other than the ones on the bristol website? I tried myself :dontknow:

Their site can be a pain, half of them don't have photos for the bathrooms which is a major factor. Neither do they have a single place to compare the rooms available, you have to go back and forth.

I don't care how nice and pretty the outside looks, I want to know how nice the room itself is. :hmpf:

:frown:

They have residences at a glance though: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/accommodation/ug/guide/residences/accom-glance.html

unless you meant the photos?
So Durham is really quiet yeah? Would I be stupid to choose it over UH if I'm looking for somewhere with a good social life? Also bearing in mind that Goldney is my first choice

Original post by phiddy23
So Durham is really quiet yeah? Would I be stupid to choose it over UH if I'm looking for somewhere with a good social life? Also bearing in mind that Goldney is my first choice

IMO durdham seriously over criticised for being terrible for social life and really quiet. Although I don't live there from my experience of the people I know there it couldn't be further from the truth. Of course there are quiet people, and quiet flats and such but that happens everywhere and it's really luck where you end up but there will always be people who will be up for doing stuff and you'll mix together anyway, and as I've said before it's 99% up to you anyway of how socialble you'll be, so if you really prefer durdham I say go for it :smile:
Reply 7251
Original post by A.J10
One shower per 4-5 people isn't that bad, manage it at home currently. We have an informal routine though... I suppose it could be a nightmare if you have one person who has a shower at different times each day and takes half an hour.

I do not like the idea of 2 shower cubicles in a room however. Not quite sure how you'd manage to put your towel somewhere dry, get out of the shower and grab it before anyone had a chance to see you.

Pics:
Hiatt Baker
Manor Hall

Original post by Andy Ftw
Yes :smile: (I though it was 6 but i could be mistaken, though it's definitely 6 for en-suites either way but not 100% sure about the normal UH flats)

There are 48 en suite flats and about 200ish non en-suites I believe :smile:

Thanks guys! I just would have thought that with UH being the cheapest, it would of have had about something like 10 to 1 bathroom, but it doesn't sound that bad! Would you guys recommend UH over Goldney?
Reply 7252
Original post by Hemzo
Thanks guys! I just would have thought that with UH being the cheapest, it would of have had about something like 10 to 1 bathroom, but it doesn't sound that bad! Would you guys recommend UH over Goldney?

10:1? Bloody hell that'd be a nightmare :L

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my E15i
Reply 7253
Original post by A.J10
10:1? Bloody hell that'd be a nightmare :L

I think it was Bath where it was something like 11:1, I have no idea how that would have worked :tongue:
Original post by Hemzo

I have no experience of Goldney or any of the clifton halls so I can't really say, but what I've experienced at UH it's great, cheap, fun, blah blah blah it's all good and couldn't recommend it highly enough, but likewise I'm sure Goldney folks would say the exact same thing about Goldney but truth is you'll like it whether you go, I say just go with what your instincts says. The big difference is stoke bishop vs clifton I say personally, and of course Goldney being the most oversubscribed halls (I believe) and UH being undersubscribed, well not sure if that would make a difference to you, but putting both down should surely make sure you live in one or the other :tongue:
Hmm I'm scared that if I have UH as my second to Goldney I won't have any chance of getting Goldney. :s

Reply 7256
Hmm I'm scared that if I have UH as my second to Goldney I won't have any chance of getting Goldney. :s

I'm pretty sure you'll have the same chance of getting goldney.

I put Goldney first and UH second. I'm posting this from my room in Goldney :smile:
^^^ Awesome fingers crossed I will get it! Really stuck right now on whether to pick Durdham or UH as my second choice

Okay so im pretty sure these questions have been posted before,

Im looking for a lively place to live, self catered (preferable although if catered is the better opinion given i wouldn't necessarily mind) and that has a good social life.

Not worried too much about sharing things cause i like to mix with others ive read good stuff on UH or Goldney. Are these the best places to be?

Any information is great, also whats the difference between Uni Halls and Uni Houses cause there not really highlighted on the website?

Cheers (Y) :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest