Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Desensatised to comedy.

Announcements Posted on
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes I realise I've spelt Desensitized wrong haha.

Ok maybe a bit of an overstatement, but of late, comedy is everywhere, I mean the panel shows,

8 out of 10 Cats
    Argumental
    Celebrity Juice
    Have I Got News for You
    Mock the Week
    Never Mind the Buzzcocks
    QI
    Whose Line Is It Anyway?
    Would I Lie To You?
    The Buble

"Stand Up" compilations like Live At the Apollo, Stand up of the week, Mcintyres road show, This is the show - Dara O'Brien, then I remember in 2011 they were seemingly giving every TV comedian a show, that thing With Robert Webb that flopped, that thing with Mark Mitchell that flopped, that thing with lee mack that flopped (no not going out), "The Big Ask", Boyle's Tramadol nights, Russell Howard - Good News

we've also got a bunch of cartoons (which are, IMHO, the best out of all of them), Futurama, South Park, American Dad, Family Guy, Cleveland Show, King of the Hill, Bob's burgers.

Eugh, then all the sit coms which I can't be arsed listing.

And this is only on freeview FFS, there's just.so.much.stuff, at one point I found it all funny and used to watch TV a lot, but its slowly refined down to where the only programme's I watch anymore are Futurama, Family Guy and American Dad (I watch the latest season episodes on TV links since we are two years behind over here), Red Dwarf, and I will watch HIGNFY, Mock the week and Not going out whilst I'm eating, and maybe QI and would I lie to you whilst waitng for something else to start, otherwise, I'd rather be on youtube than the TV.

Is there too much comedy? My parents tell me that back in the 90's there were one or two versions of each type of comedy ... on weekly and the quality was higher.

Thoughts?

Edit: No, I don't like Stewart Lee before anyone says it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    well it may Be that you haven’t found a comedian or comedy show that is to you taste. I was like this I would suggest watching some live stand up see some less well know people. I found I liked a lot of them.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prog2djent)
    Yeah I don't watch any of those panel shows; it's scripted ****e.

Family Guy is pretty funny, Curb Your Enthusiasm has always been great. Also tend to watch old comedy on youtube; I suppose it's about finding what you like. The stuff on English TV doesn't really tickle my funny bone.

I can never get over how funny The Day Today and Brass Eye are, truly epic.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Give something new a try.

May I humbly suggest Doug Stanhope- standup comic who basically covers topic stuff while getting progressively drunker as the night wears on.

• 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't watch much TV anyway, mostly just Russell Howard's Good News and Have I Got News For You.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TieMeUp)
    Yeah I don't watch any of those panel shows; it's scripted ****e.

Family Guy is pretty funny, Curb Your Enthusiasm has always been great. Also tend to watch old comedy on youtube; I suppose it's about finding what you like. The stuff on English TV doesn't really tickle my funny bone.

I can never get over how funny The Day Today and Brass Eye are, truly epic.
    I'm glad America doesn't have this panel show phenominom, it would be worse than ours. I think a lot of the good comedy from America was before the 00's, Fraiser, Curb, Seinfeld, Cheers, don't like frieds but meh ... and there's a new show called "Park And Recreation" but I watch it online since its on a dish network in the US, its absolutely amazing ... Ron Swanson is a God.
    Most of the American cartoon comedy's I enjoy, Family Guy has gone off a bit IMHO, American Dad has been getting progressively better since it started, not a lot seem to like it, well, atleast avid FG fans don't. The new season of Futurama since cancellation and the 4 feature movies they made is my favourite cartoon thing ever.

Funnily enough I just was wathcing Pedogeddon from Brass Eye a bit ago lol.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    wow its good to see Doug Stanhope on here.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prog2djent)
    Yes I realise I've spelt Desensitized wrong haha.

Ok maybe a bit of an overstatement, but of late, comedy is everywhere, I mean the panel shows,

8 out of 10 Cats
    Argumental
    Celebrity Juice
    Have I Got News for You
    Mock the Week
    Never Mind the Buzzcocks
    QI
    Whose Line Is It Anyway?
    Would I Lie To You?
    The Buble

"Stand Up" compilations like Live At the Apollo, Stand up of the week, Mcintyres road show, This is the show - Dara O'Brien, then I remember in 2011 they were seemingly giving every TV comedian a show, that thing With Robert Webb that flopped, that thing with Mark Mitchell that flopped, that thing with lee mack that flopped (no not going out), "The Big Ask", Boyle's Tramadol nights, Russell Howard - Good News

we've also got a bunch of cartoons (which are, IMHO, the best out of all of them), Futurama, South Park, American Dad, Family Guy, Cleveland Show, King of the Hill, Bob's burgers.

Eugh, then all the sit coms which I can't be arsed listing.

And this is only on freeview FFS, there's just.so.much.stuff, at one point I found it all funny and used to watch TV a lot, but its slowly refined down to where the only programme's I watch anymore are Futurama, Family Guy and American Dad (I watch the latest season episodes on TV links since we are two years behind over here), Red Dwarf, and I will watch HIGNFY, Mock the week and Not going out whilst I'm eating, and maybe QI and would I lie to you whilst waitng for something else to start, otherwise, I'd rather be on youtube than the TV.

Is there too much comedy? My parents tell me that back in the 90's there were one or two versions of each type of comedy ... on weekly and the quality was higher.

Thoughts?

Edit: No, I don't like Stewart Lee before anyone says it.
    I agree with your parents. Or at least, MY parents agree with your parents :s..
    yeah my mom also told me that comedy was of a higher quality back in the 90's, but i guess if you just find someone to your liking, then you'll start enjoying comedy again? Err.. I was/am the same as you.. I don't really find stand up comics funny anymore.. The only thing that regularly makes me laugh is Top Gear. However, i found this guy called Kevin Heart, and he has me in hysterics all the time
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think a problem (with panel shows at least) is that because some of them have been successful, everyone's jumping on the bandwagon. There's some that are pretty good like Have I Got News For You, some that are decent like Mock The Week (I don't think it's as good anymore, and I'm not a fan of Andy Parsons), and then they bring out new ones every so often with strange concepts that just don't work. I very rarely watch them anymore - I'll watch Celebrity Juice if you count that in that category, and occasionally I'll catch an episode of Never Mind The Buzzcocks, Would I Lie To You? or Have I Got News For You, or maybe even watch an old episode of Mock The Week - but I think they've gone pretty downhill.

Edit: I'll mention this - I also like Russell Howard's Good News, and I think that's successful as it appeals to younger people without trying too hard to be cool or revolutionary. In terms of cartoons, I also like old Simpsons, Futurama (mainly the older episodes), Family Guy (the seasons have been largely up and down though), and American Dad. Can't stand The Cleveland Show though.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 4, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.