The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Glow in the dark
Who just saw Macklin put out an astonishing effort against Sergio Martinez? Absolutely brilliant for the first 9 rounds trading and at times even pressing and giving Martinez trouble, managed to get a flash knockdown (slightly controversial) Which woke Martinez up then Martinez step it up a gear and finished him in the 11th. Great effort from a British fighter against the recognized 3rd p4p behing Floyd and Manny, excellent fight.

Woke at 4 for it only to realise USA decided to put their clocks forward last weekend :angry:
Original post by Masderchef
I agree. Some decent work from Macklin on the inside against a pure class counter puncher.

Did you see what score the three judges had by the end of the 11th?

One judge had them even (same as me).
But the other two had Macklin 4 rounds ahead!

Woah... If only knew.. No I didn't know that, I heard from the sky broadcast that HBO commentators had Maklin up throughout the fight (sky never give our fighters the benefit!) I personally had it even as well up to the 10th As you said he was doing great, Sergio's engine came to his advantage though, such stamina for a 37/38 year old hasn't he

Original post by Kenan and Kel
Woke at 4 for it only to realise USA decided to put their clocks forward last weekend :angry:

Think the full fights up on youtube in HD if you haven't caught it already, worth the watch
What's everyones opinion of the Enzo macinerreli vs Shane Mcphilbin fight? the bell for the first round rang 47 seconds early when conveniently Enzo got knocked down and was almost out. Lol boxing is so messed up these days.
Original post by oh-my-diddy
What's everyones opinion of the Enzo macinerreli vs Shane Mcphilbin fight? the bell for the first round rang 47 seconds early when conveniently Enzo got knocked down and was almost out. Lol boxing is so messed up these days.

It was disgraceful. Enzo needs to retire for his own safety though, and thank his lucky stars that McPhilbin is a glorified journeyman and not a noted fighter. Talk of Cleverly vs Enzo is downright scary.

Sadly that wasn't even the worst officiating over the weekend, did you see Carlos Molina getting farcically DQ'd against James Kirkland?
Original post by oh-my-diddy

I don't think anyone want's to see big mac fight again, he's had too many hits and his chin is a liability these days. He'll be lucky not to have some serious problems in the future the way he's going and hi corner should throw in the towel for him now, sad to see
Whats everyones thoughts on hopkins vs dawson rematch?

I thought it was closer than expected. I also thought it was the funniest fight i have ever seen lol because of the way hopkins got away with such blatantly illegal moves. what a genius.

Also, paulie malignaggi just stopped senchenko to win WBA title, wow totally unexpected, seems like paulie has a bit more power in this divison as hes stopped 2 of his 4 opponents at welterweight.
Anyone watched this? Bloody hilarious!

Let's revitalise this thread! Would love to see Froch win tonight, but I think Bute will win on points. Other people's opinions? :smile:
So weird, I was just about to post in here. I think Froch will win but that could be my heart talking above my head. I haven't actually seen Bute fight much tbh.

I really like Frampton though, have watched most of his pro fights and he always impresses me. I reckon he's gonna floor this mexican guy around the 8-9th round.
Original post by Arturo Bandini
So weird, I was just about to post in here. I think Froch will win but that could be my heart talking above my head. I haven't actually seen Bute fight much tbh.

I really like Frampton though, have watched most of his pro fights and he always impresses me. I reckon he's gonna floor this mexican guy around the 8-9th round.

I agree with you about Frampton. Would love to see him fight Quigg. I've never heard of this Hirales bloke, so I'd have no idea how to call it.

Bute's very good, but I felt he copped out of the Super Six Tournament. Technically he's probably better than Froch, but Froch's chin is made of rock. What's your prediction? TSR doesn't really seem into boxing.
I think it'll probably go to points and if that happens, Bute might well win.

My heart is saying Froch all the way though. In the 10th/11th/12th round he's gonna need a stoppage, and go for it and knock Bute out =D

Froch is a don and I saw Bute and his camp on ringside earlier in the week and they all seem like douchebags
I can see a wide UD for Bute (including a KD). Froch will probably have the odd success, but not really do much because he's so slow and leaves his guard down.
Used to go to the same gym as Froch. Wanting to see a win.

And he's looked the better of the two so far... by far.

EDIT: Bute is falling apart in the 3rd round, very lucky to not be knocked out.
(edited 11 years ago)
What a round. Carl is such a don
Fair play to Froch so far. He might have used a lot of energy in that round though.
Well fought Froch. Bute got it all wrong and was pummelled tbh.
YES FROCH!!!

Local LAD!

So much for being an underdog...

EDIT: Return clause? As if he'd take it, he'd be mullered again.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by CB91
Bute got it all wrong

like you and your prediction :tongue:

GREAT fight. Wish it could've gone on longer!
Original post by Arturo Bandini
like you and your prediction :tongue:

GREAT fight. Wish it could've gone on longer!

Sometimes you get it wrong. But Bute just didn't get his jab going and got swarmed (he also seemed sluggish to me).

Either way, a brilliant win for Froch, and id like to see a rematch with Kessler (think Ward is too slick for him).
Original post by CB91
Sometimes you get it wrong. But Bute just didn't get his jab going and got swarmed (he also seemed sluggish to me).

Either way, a brilliant win for Froch, and id like to see a rematch with Kessler (think Ward is too slick for him).

Agree with that, Ward is a class of his own, but I think he could beat Kessler, it was a close fight if I remember right.

Latest