Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

extreme protruding belly

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on

hi

I'm a female who is 5 foot and i weigh 55kg

however most of this fat seems to be located around my midsection

i'm not just talking about a slightly protruding tummy, i am talking about an extreme amount of fat in this area that makes me look very disproportional. i am not fat in any other parts of my body and this is really worrying me.

i do not know why this is?

one thing i have considered is the fact that i might have a higher amount of testosterone which causes fat to build up in this area especially but i really don't know

i have also considered that it might be just family genes, my father has an extreme protruding belly while my mother also has fat on this area, her fat is much more spread out over her body unlike mine

sometimes i feel bloated (i'm not sure if this is the right word to describe it) and feel as though it is swelled up. note: the shape of my belly is not round like a pregnant woman nor is it droopy

i am extremely self conscious of this and i would really really like for it to go away, i can't wear t shirts, even loose ones without my tummy showing. even when i wear baggy jumpers it shows. My family often make fun of me for it too such as by calling me things like "pregnant" so i would really really REALLY know what i can do to get rid of this fat

(i am too shy to post pics even if they cut out my face)

what should i do?? will exercise and eating healthy help? i have attempted both of these many time throughout the past 5 years and nothing has helped, if anything the fat has become more prevalent (note: i am not doing 'spot' exercises such as sit ups as i know that it will build muscles there and push out the fat even more)

liposuction is not an option for me and i cannot see a doctor about this (because this probably is not a medical problem and mainly because my mother will not allow me)

help?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have the same problem, but I'm doing all sorts of exercise, even sit ups.

All I know is, it is just where all my fat is, rather then spreading around, as I once had a serious 2 week flu which made me lose 2 stone. I was a stone underweight and obviously my belly wasn't as bad, but being bony like that was horrible for me! When I got a stone heavier my belly still wasn't as bad as it is now, but it wasn't flat, but it looked nice. Sadly I gained all my weight back from stupid eating habits and not exercising as much.

It's normal for females to have a rounded belly, we do have a womb and ovaries in there. I can feel my muscle underneath so I know for me, it's fat and I am overweight for my height, so working on that. I think you should try and work your belly muscles as it should tighten it, you read about woman have flater stomach muscles because they work them and do exercises that helps strengthen them, so I think you should do those.

I don't think you'll get rid of it completely, but I know how you feel, but I think you might be able to make it less obvious and liposuction is only temporary, if you don't change anything after it, (correct diet, exercise) it'll all come right back.

But exercise and eat healthily should make it smaller.
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    All my weight gathers around that area too, just unfortunate really! Doing plenty of exercise and eating well will help, and weight training is good :-).
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have the same, it's very much genetic in my families case. Sit-ups and planks make the world of difference, as well as a sensible diet. This is SO, SO important!

I'm doing the 200 sit up challenge at the moment: http://www.twohundredsitups.com. it's good because it really guides you through it
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sammy-lou)
    I have the same, it's very much genetic in my families case. Sit-ups and planks make the world of difference, as well as a sensible diet. This is SO, SO important!

I'm doing the 200 sit up challenge at the moment: http://www.twohundredsitups.com. it's good because it really guides you through it
    Won't make a bit of difference, might make it worse by adding mass to that area.

You would probably be better off bulking up your shoulders and legs to put yourself into proportion......
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Classical Liberal)
    Won't make a bit of difference, might make it worse by adding mass to that area.

You would probably be better off bulking up your shoulders and legs to put yourself into proportion......
    I've seen results
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've seen results
    Let me guess, you do not have an "extreme" protruding belly. If you only have a modest amount of fat around your belly then strengthening you core can make your belly look firmer, but if you have a lot of fat strengthening your core will do nothing because the muscle is just being covered by the fat.

Doing core exercises is very good for you generally though, so it doesn't hurt in the grand scheme of things. Just people who have a good deal of fat around their belly should not think that strengthening their core will trim them down, because they will be disapointed.
    • 58 followers

ReputationRep:
    Post pics OP, bellies are sexy :yep:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Consider lipo.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackshadow)
    Post pics OP, bellies are sexy :yep:
    What a disgusting fetish. :lolwut:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

Her problem is fat around her mid-section not the muscular endurance of her abs and obliques. Only way to get rid of that is calorie deficit by a good diet and exercise. Spot tone is a long debunked myth.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've seen results
    What classic liberal says is true:

Doing 200 sit ups a day will encourage growth of the abdominal muscles which will force the fat stored in the abdominal area to be pushed outwards and thereby make the protrusion worse.

You can't change where your body stores fat, at least not without modifying your hormone levels which can be dangerous and has side effects. Therefore the only way to safely reduce how much one's belly protrudes is by reducing body fat percentage. The quickest and most effective way of doing this is by doing about an hour of high intensity burst cardio per day whilst running a significant -but not extreme- calorie deficit (about 200-300 calories less than you use per day should suffice).
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Torpedo Fish)
    What classic liberal says is true:

Doing 200 sit ups a day will encourage growth of the abdominal muscles which will force the fat stored in the abdominal area to be pushed outwards and thereby make the protrusion worse.

You can't change where your body stores fat, at least not without modifying your hormone levels which can be dangerous and has side effects. Therefore the only way to safely reduce how much one's belly protrudes is by reducing body fat percentage. The quickest and most effective way of doing this is by doing about an hour of high intensity burst cardio per day whilst running a significant -but not extreme- calorie deficit (about 200-300 calories less than you use per day should suffice).

(Original post by EonBlueApocalypse)
    Her problem is fat around her mid-section not the muscular endurance of her abs and obliques. Only way to get rid of that is calorie deficit by a good diet and exercise. Spot tone is a long debunked myth.

(Original post by Classical Liberal)
    Let me guess, you do not have an "extreme" protruding belly. If you only have a modest amount of fat around your belly then strengthening you core can make your belly look firmer, but if you have a lot of fat strengthening your core will do nothing because the muscle is just being covered by the fat.

Doing core exercises is very good for you generally though, so it doesn't hurt in the grand scheme of things. Just people who have a good deal of fat around their belly should not think that strengthening their core will trim them down, because they will be disapointed.
    In that case, I gracefully accept my wrongness haha
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    In that case, I gracefully accept my wrongness haha
    Your more modest than most, I admire your ability to accept you've been wrong. Not many people can do that.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EonBlueApocalypse)
    Your more modest than most, I admire your ability to accept you've been wrong. Not many people can do that.
    Haha that is true; there is just nothing more awkward than someone fighting a losing battle on a topic they are not an expert on!
    • 58 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yothi5)
    What a disgusting fetish. :lolwut:
    Haters gonna hate.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 27, 2012
New on TSR

Ways to improve university

Should university be free and harder to get in to?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.