Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do I go about quitting my job?

Announcements Posted on

Basically, my nasty horrible boss has been making my life hell and I find working there horrible. They won't give me any time off for work experience (I'm doing a Journalism degree so I have to pay my dues) and it's just an unpleasant place to work. I'm a waitress in a pub by the way. I have no formal contract and I'm not on a rota as I've not been there a long time and it's quite quiet all the time. Do I just write a resignation letter and put it in their postbox? How should I go about it? I'm not due to work for over a week away.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you have work experience then just tell them you're leaving and that's it. If a job in the future wants a reference then direct them to your work experience placement instead. It's only waitressing so don't waste time with letters of resignation. Just call your boss.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    You to your boss: "Today is going to be my last day of working here."
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just speak to your boss. After your shift one night ask for a quiet word. Thank him for giving you the job, but for whatever reason ("other commitments" etc, don't say "I hate working here and you're horrible") you can't work there any more as of a particular date. It would be polite to give them at least couple of weeks notice so they can replace you.

You could write a resignation letter if you wanted, but for just a casual waitressing job I don't think there's any point. They will have a fairly high turnover rate in any event, they'll be used to people leaving.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Basically, my nasty horrible boss has been making my life hell and I find working there horrible. They won't give me any time off for work experience (I'm doing a Journalism degree so I have to pay my dues) and it's just an unpleasant place to work. I'm a waitress in a pub by the way. I have no formal contract and I'm not on a rota as I've not been there a long time and it's quite quiet all the time. Do I just write a resignation letter and put it in their postbox? How should I go about it? I'm not due to work for over a week away.
    Id just write a letter of resignation and give it to the manager. It doesnt have to be long- just say that you are leaving to do work experience.
    If you ever need a reference in future, then use the people at the place where you do work experience to give you a reference.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genocidal)
    If you have work experience then just tell them you're leaving and that's it. If a job in the future wants a reference then direct them to your work experience placement instead. It's only waitressing so don't waste time with letters of resignation. Just call your boss.
    She's a very unreasonable woman so would it be ok to just pop the letter in their post box? I don't have work for ages and I have things to organise so I can't really wait until my next shift =/
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Turn up drunk???

Just kidding.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    "Yo, bossy boss, you can stop bossing me around, cos you ain't gonna be my bossy boss any more, boss. Kapeesh? Kaboss."
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chlobofro)
    She's a very unreasonable woman so would it be ok to just pop the letter in their post box? I don't have work for ages and I have things to organise so I can't really wait until my next shift =/
    Well you have work experience so you have a future reference, therefore you need nothing from them.

Leaving the letter would be fine. But you could also just tell them you're quitting. It's only a waitressing job so they can easily just find someone else. As long as you need nothing from them in the future then you could take a dump in her mailbox if you wanted to.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Take a dump on his/her desk..
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    just don't turn up.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sent an email in a polite formal tone. Phew.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 27, 2012
New on TSR

Which unis are the poshest?

See what students perceive to be the classiest establishments in Britain

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.