The Student Room Group

Why the private school hate?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by heyAmy
This is exactly what I'm talking about. I have nothing against private schools except the fact I personally don't believe they give their students a legitimate view of how the world really is and the type of situations and people their students will have to come across in the future.

Neither the public ones. It is individual. I go to a public university and I push it hard. I have mates that behave like the world is their and get grades by paying or sth else. I have friends that go to private uni and are hundred times better than some of my mates. Don't make generalizations
Reply 121
Original post by AnnaWintour
Neither the public ones. It is individual. I go to a public university and I push it hard. I have mates that behave like the world is their and get grades by paying or sth else. I have friends that go to private uni and are hundred times better than some of my mates. Don't make generalizations

I'm not. I know people have to work to get the good grades, regardless of their school.
Original post by Octohedral
I'm well prepared for neg rep because this seems to be a sensitive topic.

However, yesterday I was working in my college bar and two people started a conversation over the counter that baically consisted of;
"Yes, well as soon as I hear someone went to a private school I don't really like them"
"Me neither, I mean look at Sarah"
"I mean I wouldn't not be friends with them if I was already, but it would put me off them a lot, they're all so posh."

Now imagine I have a similar conversation;
"Yes, well as soon as I hear someone went to a state school I don't really like them"
"Me neither, I mean look at Sarah"
"I mean I wouldn't not be friends with them if I was already, but it would put me off them a lot, they're all so chavvy."

I wouldn't last five minutes.

I get asked what my school was all the time, and people really judge you, no matter that the top private schools are as different to the subsidised ones as grammar schools are from inner-city comprehensives. People go for all sorts of reasons (I was there on a scholarship, for example), and yes, this does involve luck, but state school does not necessarily equal 'poor'. I had friends who went on £2000 holidays every year and went to state schools. It's a matter of personal priorities in those many cases.

And even if someone does go on the basis of wealth, how can you possibly judge their personality on something as black and white as that? Assuming everyone at a private school owns a horse and knows nothing about the real world is as random as me assuming every state school pupil is a chav.

In summary;

I genuinely want to find out more about why people are so judgemental about what school you went to.

Disclaimer: I like everyone.

Most don't hate you, they hate the system. I don't like private schools at all, but I've got plenty of friends at them, as I know that students have barely any say in it. No ten year old is going to say no to going to the "big awesome school with the cool sports hall and swimming pool". Find me a ten year old who comes back to their parents and starts debating egalitarian issues of private education :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 123
I went to a private school up until year 11 and I am now currently at a comprehensive school for 6form. Everyone thinks that people who go to private school are rich and spoilt but that's not the case at all. There were loads of people on bursaries and scholarships. Many parents struggled to afford it but wanted the best for their kids. IMO there is not much differentiation to my private school and the school I'm at now. There is a lot of misconception! You will find that a large % of people at private schools are middle class, apart from schools like Eton of course. You will have to work just as hard in private school than you do in a state school. You're not spoon-fed everything!!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by heyAmy
This is exactly what I'm talking about. I have nothing against private schools except the fact I personally don't believe they give their students a legitimate view of how the world really is and the type of situations and people their students will have to come across in the future.

So you are saying private schooled people are incapable of talking to with state educated people?

Bull****.
Original post by im so academic
So you are saying private schooled people are incapable of talking to with state educated people?

Bull****.

That's the perception of people how internalize stupid stereotypes and don't think out of the box. I applied for MA on CEU (Hungary) a private university, and you cannot imagine how big competition there is. Firthermore, my friends studying there say that it is so hard, and comparing it with public top ranked universities, they say, they are like studying first year undergraduate.
That's the perception of people how internalize stupid stereotypes and don't think out of the box. I applied for MA on CEU (Hungary) a private university, and you cannot imagine how big competition there is. Firthermore, my friends studying there say that it is so hard, and comparing it with public top ranked universities, they say, they are like studying first year undergraduate.

What on earth are you talking about? What is your point?
Original post by im so academic
What on earth are you talking about? What is your point?

Ohh god, I agreed with you and elaborated it further. :smile:
It's stereotyping.
A lot of state school pupils think that private school pupils are all stuck up. A lot of private school students think state school students are 'chavvy'.
Where I live most of the High School Sixth Forms were closed and a massive Sixth Form was built for about 2000 students which has made private/state students mix with each other. I went to probably one of the worse state schools in my area and all of my friends were really cautious about talking to private school students because they felt embarrassed of the fact that we went to quite a rough high school despite the fact we got great grades. Most of the private school people I've met have been absolutely fine but there are a few that have said some quite nasty things. For example in one of the induction lessons one particular boy asked me what high school I went to, the look on his face when I told him was as if he thought people from my high school can't get in to sixth form. He even asked me if I was being serious. Then he went on to say about how everyone at my High School carried knives which is absolute crap. He also mentioned how the walls in my high school must have been damp and the tables must all have been broken. Which again is complete rubbish. I loved my time at High School :smile:
Unfortunately the few 'chavs' ruin it for the state school kids and the few stuck up kids ruin it for the private school pupils. It's not going to change.
Reply 129
I just don't like the idea that you can buy a better education, it isn't right.
Reply 130
Original post by Torrresss

And what do you think happens when, let's say, a local authority increases spending to its state schools compared to the next county over? Are better state school teachers not incentivised by payment or something? Should one local authority not raise spending on education if others won't?

What are your views on private healthcare!!!

Ohh god, I agreed with you and elaborated it further. :smile:

Oh sorry about that, I just had no clue what you were trying to say.
Reply 133
I don't think the issue is that people dislike privately educated children because they are 'posh' or 'rich' - I know a lot of such people at my state school - one who even has a tutor for each of his three full A levels.

As with people at state schools who can hire tutors, the issue is that those who go to private school have an unfair advantage over those who don't (let's not obfuscate the issue, in general, I think it is fair to say that private schools are better than state schools, give or take a very small number). Someone who can pay to enhance their academic ability is going to do better than someone very similar who can't, which many people percieve as unfair.

A lot of people also get frustrated at the fact that it is those very people who can pay for their education who need it the least - they already come from families where education and achievement is supported, and where their families can support them in later life. The poorest people in our society come from families where education is not appreciated, and even if they are very bright, will have a lot harder time with their studies than someone from a better off background.

How to deal with the problem is a very difficult one. I've heard people propose ideas whereby top private schools use the fees they get from those who pay, and then give a proportion of places (e.g 20%) to those from poor backgrounds for free, essentially subsidising their places through the fees paid by others, but as with everything else proposed, it's a flawed plan.
Reply 134
Original post by heyAmy
This is just the kind of thing that gets you hate.
I attend one of the best state schools in the country and would never dream of saying 'just because you haven't had the privilege of attending my school'.
It just shows the complete personality difference a private school can give some people.

Attending a private school is a privilege not a right and that is why I call it that, but only a state-school pupil such as yourself could misunderstand that as a 'personality difference' (any excuse to call us stuck up).
You say that you attend one of the best state schools in the country? It sounds like your trying to make yourself seem privileged or better than others. That isn't a personality difference though is it?

If we're talking personality then I can bash state school pupils just as much. I could say that almost all criminals, teenage-preggers, government welfare leeches, people with ASBOS and generally everyone that is considered a bad person are state-school educated...but I'm not :biggrin:

Attending a private school is a privilege not a right and that is why I call it that, but only a state-school pupil such as yourself could misunderstand that as a 'personality difference' (any excuse to call us stuck up).

Everything that is wanted will command hate things like being rich, physically attractive and successful will always attract haters through jealousy. The sad part is that those who hate never end up going anywhere.
Reply 135
Original post by mimx
And what do you think happens when, let's say, a local authority increases spending to its state schools compared to the next county over? Are better state school teachers not incentivised by payment or something? Should one local authority not raise spending on education if others won't?

Clearly that is also a problem, that different areas get different amount of funding. Yet first of all the difference will not be as great as it is with many private schools, and secondly at least the school's accept people equally, and not based on whether they can afford to pay, or are lucky enough to pass the entry tests.
Reply 136
Original post by The Doggfather
What are your views on private healthcare!!!

Again, is it right, because someone has more money than the person next to them, they can skip the waiting list and receive treatment months earlier?

No it's not, however this is an even more difficult problem to solve.
Reply 137
Original post by FDR
I don't think the issue is that people dislike privately educated children because they are 'posh' or 'rich' - I know a lot of such people at my state school - one who even has a tutor for each of his three full A levels.

As with people at state schools who can hire tutors, the issue is that those who go to private school have an unfair advantage over those who don't (let's not obfuscate the issue, in general, I think it is fair to say that private schools are better than state schools, give or take a very small number). Someone who can pay to enhance their academic ability is going to do better than someone very similar who can't, which many people percieve as unfair.

A lot of people also get frustrated at the fact that it is those very people who can pay for their education who need it the least - they already come from families where education and achievement is supported, and where their families can support them in later life. The poorest people in our society come from families where education is not appreciated, and even if they are very bright, will have a lot harder time with their studies than someone from a better off background.

How to deal with the problem is a very difficult one. I've heard people propose ideas whereby top private schools use the fees they get from those who pay, and then give a proportion of places (e.g 20%) to those from poor backgrounds for free, essentially subsidising their places through the fees paid by others, but as with everything else proposed, it's a flawed plan.

Someone that pays for academic enhancement is basically investing in their academic success. As long as they stay within the rules then is isn't unfair.

My parents told me that one of the reasons they sent me to a private school is for the better upbringing, and not just the academics. Do you know how many people smoked, were on drugs, were/got pregnant or got beat up when I went to school? NONE, and I know that isn't quite the case in state schools. As you said, those that have a better upbringing will also not be hindered by problems of the poor.

How is giving free places at the expense of others considered fair? The difference between a private school and a state-school is that private schools don't have people from poor backgrounds. Having a 20% quota just means that private schools are going to be more like state-schools. It's closing the gap by worsening the better, a horrible idea.
Reply 138
Clearly that is also a problem, that different areas get different amount of funding. Yet first of all the difference will not be as great as it is with many private schools, and secondly at least the school's accept people equally, and not based on whether they can afford to pay, or are lucky enough to pass the entry tests.

No, just lucky enough to live in the catchment area. I'm not sure why you think passing entry tests is down to luck though.
Reply 139
I've met a lot of people who will say they don't like snobby private school kids, and then turn around and say, 'not like you, though, you're different'.

And let's face it - we need private schools. Most parents with kids at private school pay for their children to go there whilst still paying taxes for state schools. If all the private school kids went to state school, there wouldn't be enough places. So people in state schools are paying less (in taxes) for their education because some parents are paying for state school but not taking up places...

I'm not ashamed I went to a private school, I'm glad my parents gave up having a nice house so I could go. There were very few people in my school of the 'made in chelsea' type; even those with money aren't arrogant or snobby.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending