Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

what would you think if the guy you were seeing put his arm round another girl?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014

Just wondering
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Define 'seeing'. Are we dating / have we been dating a long time? Have we been intimate / kissed/ slept together?
    If I knew they were good friends, I suppose it wouldn't bother me. But in general, if we're definitely dating and have been intimate, I'd find it disrespectful if he did it in front of me. Almost wondering if he'd be trying to make me jealous. It wouldn't make me directly angry, but a definite red flag.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    If it was girlfriend probably nothing if they were good friends and nothing else and it was in context with something. Anything else Id probably have a word
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    slap him...unless it was his sister
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelstie16)
    slap him...unless it was his sister
    are you being serious?

(Original post by Clez)
    If it was girlfriend probably nothing if they were good friends and nothing else and it was in context with something. Anything else Id probably have a word
    what do you mean by in context with something? also what if the guy was holding hands with her
    • 53 followers

ReputationRep:
    That arm's coming off.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    what do you mean by in context with something? also what if the guy was holding hands with her
    as in the girl being upset of vice versa or in greeting or farewells, or as a "well done" or a "happy birthday"

holding hands suggests romantic attraction

(Original post by Clez)
    as in the girl being upset of vice versa or in greeting or farewells, or as a "well done" or a "happy birthday"

holding hands suggests romantic attraction
    ah well there was definitley no context like that
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Like most things in life, it depends on context.

(Original post by Studentus-anonymous)
    as i said above, there was no obvious context- the girl wasn't upset or anything

(Original post by Studentus-anonymous)
    as in the guy was just putting his arm around her cos he wanted to
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birdman1234567)
    are you being serious?

yup.... have done it once... come on writing out of experience
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelstie16)
    yup.... have done it once... come on writing out of experience
    Hi, but have you ever hugged, held hands a lil with another guy? We have a close bunch at uni on my course and I have been out and had guys holding my hands, and their gf's have been holding their other hand. But we are all friends, and I suppose that is different.

If it was a random girl then I would just put my arms around a random guy...two can play that game eh!! lol xx
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JessicaUk)
    Hi, but have you ever hugged, held hands a lil with another guy? We have a close bunch at uni on my course and I have been out and had guys holding my hands, and their gf's have been holding their other hand. But we are all friends, and I suppose that is different.

If it was a random girl then I would just put my arms around a random guy...two can play that game eh!! lol xx

not here where i am from... i think doing all the things that you mentioned above is actually considered as ' going overboard' for us... yea hugging is alright as long as it is not tooooo intimate
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JessicaUk)

Personally, I would hate that.
    I don't care how close someone is to their friends, there are some actions that should be reserved specifically for partners, and IMO putting your arm around someone (unless you're comforting them) and holding hands are examples of those actions.

There are boundaries that shouldn't be crossed because people can easily get the wrong idea, which never leads to pleasant conversation.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is absolutely ridiculous and just goes to highlight how massively insecure some of you are, seriously.
    In previous relationships, I've put my arms around female friends plenty of times and my exs haven't cared. Likewise, I haven't minded if they do the same. Because we trusted each other.

If you seriously get insecure about a partner putting their arm around someone else, you shouldn't be with them as you clearly don't trust them.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Conclusion: if it's a friend then it's fine, if he's flirting then RED FLAG.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't have a problem if it's a friend of his, but if anything more like kissing intimately in front of me, etc. was added then I would get very annoyed.
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    It depends what's going on with your relationship. I had an boyfriend who did that with a girl and it really got to me. That was because he wasn't giving me enough affection and he wanted out of the relationship without having vocalised it at that point.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 2, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.