The Student Room Group

Psychology AQA B PSYB2 29th May 2012

anyone doing this unit?
any predictions?
any last minute tips?

:eek:

Scroll to see replies

I am :smile:
Does any one have the unit 2 January 2012 paper ?
(edited 11 years ago)
I was just about to make this thread. I'm doing it :smile:
No predictions I'm afraid. In terms of tips, look at the essay questions and pick the questions you want to do the essay for. The essays are the most important bit so you want them to be good. Also, if you read the essay questions, you can be getting ideas while you're answering the other questions. I found that really useful in unit 1
My teacher is incredibly certain that the remembering and forgetting 10 marker will be on the working memory model, although of course take this with a pinch of salt
I have looked over past papers and they always seem to ask about forgetting e.g. describe and evaluate 2 types of forgetting, obviously you would define type of forgeting, then explain giving research evidence and examples then evaluate for each type of forgetting chosen. This question can come up as a long question as above or where it could be 4 marks for 1 type of forgetting.

Also levels of processing seems to come up quite a bit as 10 marker.

Does anyone know what came up in January for 10 marker?
i wish i knew what came up in jan11! that way i could make assumptions on what the memory & forgetting 10 marker would be this time, but my assumptions are the working memory model and then for social influence: one of the theories of arousal (e.g. dominant response, evaluation apprehension, distraction conflict etc). does anyone know if we have to know studies for the types of LTM? i have soooooooooo many others to remember and i don't know if they've ever asked a question such as 'describe a study that was carried out to investigate LTM?'
also my teacher told me you don't have to know the names of all the psychologists, only the ones on the spec (which i think are atkinson & shiffrin, milgram, asch and sherif) hopefully that will save you some memory space! so you can just say: a study was carried out to investigate-aim.
Reply 7
Hi everyone,

I sat this paper in January 2012 and can vaguely remember the 10 markers.

For Section A (social psychology) it was to discuss two explanations of arousal. Section B (cognitive psychology) it was to discuss two explanation of forgetting (sorry can't remember which ones). And Section C (anxiety disorders) was to discuss systematic desensitisation as a treatment for phobias.

Hope that was some help! :smile:
Mark scheme for January 2012 it will help you work out the questions am still looking for the paper
Reply 9
Was gonna make a thread for aqa b, as there are so many for aqa a. Anyone know what might come up for remembering/anxiety/social influence? Really hope it's not the working memory model! How did you guys find the 1st psychology exam?
Reply 10
I think I actually prefer this paper to unit 1 one
Reply 11
also anyone have any essay plans for any of the 10 markers. I'm really bad with the anxiety treatment ones. don't know how to structure it, cause of the limited information from the book :frown:
Reply 12
Original post by lumayaa
also anyone have any essay plans for any of the 10 markers. I'm really bad with the anxiety treatment ones. don't know how to structure it, cause of the limited information from the book :frown:

I think unit 1 was easier. For the 10 mark questions, 5 marks is for AO1, which is just own knowledge regarding the essay question, then 5 marks for A02, you do after the AO1 points. They're evaluation points, which you do by stating the strengths and weaknesses of what you have discussed. You can do this by reffering to case studies, other methods, etc.
Original post by NatashaB5051
I am :smile:
Does any one have the unit 2 January 2012 paper ?

Original post by HollyBumblebee
i wish i knew what came up in jan11! that way i could make assumptions on what the memory & forgetting 10 marker would be this time, but my assumptions are the working memory model and then for social influence: one of the theories of arousal (e.g. dominant response, evaluation apprehension, distraction conflict etc). does anyone know if we have to know studies for the types of LTM? i have soooooooooo many others to remember and i don't know if they've ever asked a question such as 'describe a study that was carried out to investigate LTM?'

I've got the paper everyone! :colone:
Here you go :biggrin:
Original post by Harriet : )
I've got the paper everyone! :colone:
Here you go :biggrin:

yay! thankyou so much :biggrin: xxx
yay! thankyou so much :biggrin: xxx

No problem! :smile:
Praying that social facilitation will not be a long answer question :L
Original post by Harriet : )
No problem! :smile:
Praying that social facilitation will not be a long answer question :L

ah i don't know! all the essay questions in social influence seem really obscure and the social facilitation ones are the ones with the most obvious descriptions and evaluation points! I can't revise in this hot weather :'(
ah i don't know! all the essay questions in social influence seem really obscure and the social facilitation ones are the ones with the most obvious descriptions and evaluation points! I can't revise in this hot weather :'(

Really I seem to struggle, perhaps I don't think obviously enough! Hate distraction conflict theory :frown: I know what you mean though- gives me really bad headaches :frown:
Have a feeling that types of long term memory will come up as a 10 marker in cognitive :frown:
Reply 18
I think lack of consolidation will come up.. I havn't really noticed it on any paper :cookie:
Reply 19
I can't remember any of the studies, why do we have to learn so many? :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest