Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Chances of getting into a top 10 accountancy firm with a law degree?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If i was to study law at leicester, will this hinder my application in the future, when i apply for firms? Would an A&f degree, say from bham or nottingham better my chances than the above, in getting into a top 10 firm? Or would neither make much difference?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
    • 163 followers

I wouldn't have thought it would make much difference (outside of accountancy exam exemptions). Most of the firms I've looked at in the top 10 seem to accept any degree discipline. The only requirements it seems are good GCSE/A-Levels/degree classification and being able to demonstrate a sufficient level of competency. The Big 4 accountants I've came across have been a mix of Accounting and Finance degree holders and English/Music/Philosophy/Natural Science/Law/Economics/Maths degree holders.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I studied law and now work in Tax in KPMG. Alot of law grads get jobs at the big 4.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    no difference what so ever!
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi there

Just to repeat the other posts, the majority of ACA students have not studied a relevant degree! The top accountancy firms are looking for potential to develop you in a number of different ways, and they want a diverse workforce from a variety of backgrounds. Law is a great subject to have studied and would stand you in good stead if you had to give advice about tax issues! Good luck!

Louise
    ICAEW Student Recruitment
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You'll have as good a change as everyone else. Especially with big four firms who don't really mind what degree you did so long as you meet the competencies and show good commercial awareness.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    no difference what so ever!
    Hi, sorry to bother you but you seem like a knowledgeable person so I want to ask this question;

What are the chances of becoming an Accountant after completing a Law Degree at Aberystwyth and BBC at A Level? I think this would rule out the big 10, but what are the prospects?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Doggfather)
    Hi, sorry to bother you but you seem like a knowledgeable person so I want to ask this question;

What are the chances of becoming an Accountant after completing a Law Degree at Aberystwyth and BBC at A Level? I think this would rule out the big 10, but what are the prospects?
    You have a chance i have seen people get in with less. But you will need to work hard on all aspects of the recruitment process.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 28, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.