The Student Room Group

Triumph of Elizabeth A2 AQA June 12th Exam

Hi all,

I'm currently revising for the Elizabeth A2 AQA exam on the 12 June this year and was wondering what other people think might come up?
The last year saw one question on religion and another on government in Elizabeth's reign, whilst Edward/Mary question was on rebellion. 2010 also had a question on religion in Elizabeth's reign, and one on her later foreign policy, whilst the Mary question was on government (if memory serves correctly).
Personally I'm not revising Edward/Mary, and concentrating on religion and foreign policy in Elizabeth's reign.

Any help on some revision techniques for topics would also be much appreciated!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yo! I'm doing this exam aswell, don't really have a clue what topics gonna come up tbh. For Mary/Edward there could be a question on religion?

How come you're not revising Edward/Mary, bit risky lol? But yeh I've done the majority on my revision focusing on Elizabeth, but that's because her part of the course is massive!

How are you revising for it?
Hi Harry
For the Mary/Edward question I don't have a clue what could come up sorry! It's not likely to be rebellion though that's for sure.

Yeah my history teacher didn't take well to it when I told her. I think the idea nearly sent her into cardiac arrest.

I agree, the spec is 75% Elizabeth, last two exam papers have both had 2 questions on Elizabeth, so I'm thinking just revise Liz. Saves me having to look at two other reigns and revise Edward/Mary social, religion, finance, economy, politics, foreign policy ect. I took a similar risk last year for the AS history exam and got an A. That's not to say that me risking not revising Edward/Mary will pay off. There might be one question on Liz, a question on Edward, and another that leaks over all three reigns. But what are the odds of that happening!?
Reply 3
Original post by StanleyKowalski
Hi Harry
For the Mary/Edward question I don't have a clue what could come up sorry! It's not likely to be rebellion though that's for sure.

Yeah my history teacher didn't take well to it when I told her. I think the idea nearly sent her into cardiac arrest.

I agree, the spec is 75% Elizabeth, last two exam papers have both had 2 questions on Elizabeth, so I'm thinking just revise Liz. Saves me having to look at two other reigns and revise Edward/Mary social, religion, finance, economy, politics, foreign policy ect. I took a similar risk last year for the AS history exam and got an A. That's not to say that me risking not revising Edward/Mary will pay off. There might be one question on Liz, a question on Edward, and another that leaks over all three reigns. But what are the odds of that happening!?

Yeh I guess the idea is risky but could be pulled off. I guess you're right in the sense that two of the questions are likely to be on elizabeth, but there's always the risk! If I hadn't already wasted time revising the mid-tudor crisis then I might have tried it myself lol.

I think that there will probably be a question on religion, either for the mid-tudor crisis or elizabeth, considering its such a big topic over all the reigns. I personally have a feeling that something about foreign policy will come up for Elizabeth- possibly relations with Spain, or another country like Scotland, or France? I don't usually like to second guess because I'm usually wrong lol.

What grades did you get last year? If you got an A then you might not have to do really well on this exam to get a good grade overall, which is added incentive to try your risky method lol
Original post by Harry.K
Yeh I guess the idea is risky but could be pulled off. I guess you're right in the sense that two of the questions are likely to be on elizabeth, but there's always the risk! If I hadn't already wasted time revising the mid-tudor crisis then I might have tried it myself lol.

I think that there will probably be a question on religion, either for the mid-tudor crisis or elizabeth, considering its such a big topic over all the reigns. I personally have a feeling that something about foreign policy will come up for Elizabeth- possibly relations with Spain, or another country like Scotland, or France? I don't usually like to second guess because I'm usually wrong lol.

What grades did you get last year? If you got an A then you might not have to do really well on this exam to get a good grade overall, which is added incentive to try your risky method lol

I reckon you're right about a question on religion for Elizabeth or even Mary/Edward. Other people on my course think so too. I'm probably going to look at foreign policy for Elizabeth as well.

For my AS grades I'm currently sitting on A in history, A in English and B in psychology. Wbu? Yeah I was speaking to my teacher today about what UMS marks I need overall for an A in history (think it was 320/400).

What are you looking to do after sixth form?
Reply 5
Original post by StanleyKowalski
I reckon you're right about a question on religion for Elizabeth or even Mary/Edward. Other people on my course think so too. I'm probably going to look at foreign policy for Elizabeth as well.

For my AS grades I'm currently sitting on A in history, A in English and B in psychology. Wbu? Yeah I was speaking to my teacher today about what UMS marks I need overall for an A in history (think it was 320/400).

What are you looking to do after sixth form?

yeh the main problem im having is revising all of elizabeth's reign, there's so much of it! I think thats why im revising mid-tudor crisis aswell because there's less of it so I guess i'll remember more things about it than elizabeth's reign lol.

I'm on exactly the same grades lol, A in history, A in geography, and B in English.

Hoping to study law at Southampton university, what bout you?
Reply 6
Instead of concentrating on periods of time, I'd suggest concentrating on themes. For example I'd be tempted to look at something like the following: (please don't treat this as gospel, it's just a brief suggestion of some of the things you may want to look at)

Religion (This intertwines with secular policy, both foreign and domestic, in more ways than one and if you can demonstrate your understanding of this you will hit the higher bands)
Internal Policy
-The Succession
-The Edwardian Reformation/Marian Persecution
-The Elizabethan Settlement (consider this in the context of foreign policy as-well)
-Financial Policy (most relevant during the mid tudor crisis but still worth mentioning about under Elizabeth)
-Relationships with Parliament
-Causes of rebellion? (Specifically the Northern Rebellion)
Foreign Policy
- How did the religious situation internally, influence foreign policy? (think the Spanish Match and the Anjou marriage negotiations, Mary Stuart and fears of Catholic rebellion/invasion)

You're much more likely to get a better mark if you can show a strong understanding of how these different themes coalesce and how one may directly (or indirectly) influence the other. You'll also find that by revising thematically, you'll cover the entire period, rather than just the short spans you'd cover by revising specific events. You're being assessed on breadth and depth of knowledge. By revising specific events you'll get neither, but if you can make the links between events, their causes and, their effects, you'll get both breadth and depth.

Just my two cents. I'm about to do a Masters in Early Modern History at Durham and I tutor History at A-Level.

Good luck!
Reply 7
Original post by Mod Calm
Instead of concentrating on periods of time, I'd suggest concentrating on themes. For example I'd be tempted to look at something like the following: (please don't treat this as gospel, it's just a brief suggestion of some of the things you may want to look at)

Religion (This intertwines with secular policy, both foreign and domestic, in more ways than one and if you can demonstrate your understanding of this you will hit the higher bands)
Internal Policy
-The Succession
-The Elizabethan Settlement (consider this in the context of foreign policy as-well)
-Financial Policy (most relevant during the mid tudor crisis but still worth mentioning about under Elizabeth)
Foreign Policy
- How did the religious situation internally, influence foreign policy? (think the Spanish Match and the Anjou marriage negotiations, Mary Stuart and fears of Catholic rebellion/invasion)

You're much more likely to get a better mark if you can show a strong understanding of how these different themes coalesce and how one may directly (or indirectly) influence the other. You'll also find that by revising thematically, you'll cover the entire period, rather than just the short spans you'd cover by revising specific events. You're being assessed on breadth and depth of knowledge. By revising specific events you'll get neither, but if you can make the links between events, their causes and, their effects, you'll get both breadth and depth.

Just my two cents. I'm about to do a Masters in Early Modern History at Durham and I tutor History at A-Level.

Good luck!

Cheers for the advice, much appreciate it! I'm having a bit of a problem though with the essay structure, because I know the content needed to answer the question but I'm not sure how to structure it. Could you give some pointers on how to structure an essay, especially in terms of sypnoticity please?
Reply 8

Internal Policy
-The Succession
Foreign Policy

Good luck!

another quick question, would reading Elton's 'England under the Tudors' be beneficial for me, even though many of his ideas are now considered outdated and have been challenged by recent historians like John Guy?
Reply 9
Original post by Harry.K
Cheers for the advice, much appreciate it! I'm having a bit of a problem though with the essay structure, because I know the content needed to answer the question but I'm not sure how to structure it. Could you give some pointers on how to structure an essay, especially in terms of sypnoticity please?

I've had a pretty busy few days but I'll throw something together for you over the next few days. It'll just be some basic essay writing tips though as I don't have time to do anything comprehensive.

Original post by Harry.K
another quick question, would reading Elton's 'England under the Tudors' be beneficial for me, even though many of his ideas are now considered outdated and have been challenged by recent historians like John Guy?

Reading someone like Elton will always be beneficial because it furthers your knowledge of the historiography, however if you do read Elton, you should also read someone like Haigh as what will really impress an examiner is you showing an understanding of both traditional and revisionist perspectives of the historiography. For example... The traditional view argued by Elton, while valid in points X Y and Z, has been challenged in recent years by the revisionist movement championed by Chris Haigh, who argues A, B and C....

Understand?
Reply 10
I've had a pretty busy few days but I'll throw something together for you over the next few days. It'll just be some basic essay writing tips though as I don't have time to do anything comprehensive.

Cheers, whenever you have the time I'll appreciate it.

Reading someone like Elton will always be beneficial because it furthers your knowledge of the historiography, however if you do read Elton, you should also read someone like Haigh as what will really impress an examiner is you showing an understanding of both traditional and revisionist perspectives of the historiography. For example... The traditional view argued by Elton, while valid in points X Y and Z, has been challenged in recent years by the revisionist movement championed by Chris Haigh, who argues A, B and C....

Understand?

Yeah I understand, I've been reading John Guy aswell, whose challenged some of the views of Elton, which has been pretty helpful because I can see the difference between the traditional and revisionist interpretations. and yeh I'll make sure to write something along the lines of that in the exam.
Reply 11
Hey! Am also doing this exam on the 12th June. Was just going through the AQA book and going over bits that I haven't remembered/learnt etc and came stuck on some points that I thought someone could help me with?

First of all, Mary's 'revised book of rates.' How important was this? In the book this is hardly covered but when I look at some mark schemes for questions in the possible content they have it in. Could someone just give me a quick insight on it's importance etc? I feel as if I know hardly anything about it. Thanks.

And secondly, when looking at Elizabeth's religous settlement and some historians opinions on it I came stuck on what they're actually trying to say. (pg 56/57 of AQA book.) E.g. Neale and many over historians believed that Elizabeth accepted a much more protestant prayer book than what she really wanted whereas historians like Norman and Lake state that her regime was protestant from the start. It seems pretty straightforward but I'm confused at what they're both arguing. Could somone help please?

I'd be incredibly grateful.

Thanks! And good luck also to anyone else taking the exam.
Reply 12
Original post by Safe
Hey! Am also doing this exam on the 12th June. Was just going through the AQA book and going over bits that I haven't remembered/learnt etc and came stuck on some points that I thought someone could help me with?

First of all, Mary's 'revised book of rates.' How important was this? In the book this is hardly covered but when I look at some mark schemes for questions in the possible content they have it in. Could someone just give me a quick insight on it's importance etc? I feel as if I know hardly anything about it. Thanks.

And secondly, when looking at Elizabeth's religous settlement and some historians opinions on it I came stuck on what they're actually trying to say. (pg 56/57 of AQA book.) E.g. Neale and many over historians believed that Elizabeth accepted a much more protestant prayer book than what she really wanted whereas historians like Norman and Lake state that her regime was protestant from the start. It seems pretty straightforward but I'm confused at what they're both arguing. Could somone help please?

I'd be incredibly grateful.

Thanks! And good luck also to anyone else taking the exam.

Firstly, the Marian book of rates was an overhaul and streamlining of the Government tax revenues, finances etc. Basically, the flow of money, efficient savings.

On the debate with Neale et al it is more about who directs the policy in the religious settlement. Neale argues that it was the 'Protestant choir' within the House of Commons that directed the Protestant edge to the religious settlement opposed to Elizabeth's own conservatism on religion. He also believes this to be connected to an ever growing in power House of Commons (rubbish if you ask me, likes to mention English Civil War). On the other hand there is Elton who argues that this 'Puritan/Protestant choir' was not in Parliament and could not influence a monarch on religion at the time. Finally there is Jones who argues that it largely reflected the views of Elizabeth and her council but that the Conservatives edges (supreme governor etc) were as a result of the opposition from the Catholic House of Lords and that Elizabeth was much more Protestant than Neale argues.

Personally I find Jones most compelling in this instance, there is further evidence that she personally included measures for clerical discipline to remove the abuses that the Catholic clergy enjoy such as marriage and abstinence. I believe I am right in saying that for a clergyman to get married he thenceforth had to pick a woman of sound character and have her ratified by two JPs.

Hope this helps. Good revision for me :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Hobo389
Firstly, the Marian book of rates was an overhaul and streamlining of the Government tax revenues, finances etc. Basically, the flow of money, efficient savings.

On the debate with Neale et al it is more about who directs the policy in the religious settlement. Neale argues that it was the 'Protestant choir' within the House of Commons that directed the Protestant edge to the religious settlement opposed to Elizabeth's own conservatism on religion. He also believes this to be connected to an ever growing in power House of Commons (rubbish if you ask me, likes to mention English Civil War). On the other hand there is Elton who argues that this 'Puritan/Protestant choir' was not in Parliament and could not influence a monarch on religion at the time. Finally there is Jones who argues that it largely reflected the views of Elizabeth and her council but that the Conservatives edges (supreme governor etc) were as a result of the opposition from the Catholic House of Lords and that Elizabeth was much more Protestant than Neale argues.

Personally I find Jones most compelling in this instance, there is further evidence that she personally included measures for clerical discipline to remove the abuses that the Catholic clergy enjoy such as marriage and abstinence. I believe I am right in saying that for a clergyman to get married he thenceforth had to pick a woman of sound character and have her ratified by two JPs.

Hope this helps. Good revision for me :smile:

Thanks so much mate!

So the Book of Rates was a fairly important thing, seeing as finances were tight from Edward's reign (Somerset's debasing coinage and such and spending money/resources against Scotland and France)

And thanks for the historians views regarding Elizabeth's religous settlement. It now makes a lot of sense. I also agree with Jones' view, seeing as though throughout her reign she was wary of Catholic threats.

Thanks!
Reply 14
Original post by Safe
Thanks so much mate!

So the Book of Rates was a fairly important thing, seeing as finances were tight from Edward's reign (Somerset's debasing coinage and such and spending money/resources against Scotland and France)

And thanks for the historians views regarding Elizabeth's religous settlement. It now makes a lot of sense. I also agree with Jones' view, seeing as though throughout her reign she was wary of Catholic threats.

Thanks!

Not a problem. The Marian book of rates was yes important, but not until Elizabeth's reign (something to include in mid tudor crisis if it comes up because it did not help Mary at all). The effect was not seen until the start of Elizabeth's reign. By the 1590s it became more and more ineffective, just another little thing for the decline the final period of her reign.
Reply 15
Intersting. Anyway reason why it was fairly ineffective during Mary's reign? Or was it just because she had a short reign so wasn't around for the benefits?
Reply 16
Original post by Safe
Intersting. Anyway reason why it was fairly ineffective during Mary's reign? Or was it just because she had a short reign so wasn't around for the benefits?

It was only because she wasn't around to feel the benefits of it :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Harry.K

Hi again,

Very sorry for the late reply: I completely forgot about this thread; it has been a busy month.

I've dug up the essay guide I use and give to my tutees when they ask for guidance - It was written by Plymouth University and it's fairly comprehensive for how to write a good essay. Please bear in mind that it is meant for undergraduate level though, so don't worry if you don't go into quite as much detail as this guide recommends. Also, this guide is very much a coursework guide so ignore all of the timings and stuff. The principles of essay writing don't really differ between coursework and exam essays though, so the majority of this guide should still be helpful. You just won't need to worry about secondary material or referencing so much.

Good luck!
(edited 11 years ago)
There have only been two papers of this new syllabus. Personally, I'm hoping for something along the lines of how far the ERS was a success, or perhaps about Catholic and Puritan threats throughout her whole reign. So much to talk about for religion.
Reply 19
My teacher is convinced that the mid-Tudor crisis is going to come up, and she says puritanism as well, but I really don't know.
How does everybody revise? I basically write up the entire AQA textbook ahaha!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending