The Student Room Group

Why are the judges so lenient?

I don't understand this. A rapist can serve 2-3 years in prison. A drunk driver that kills people will be unlucky if he serves any time at all. Violent criminals aren't even getting a decade anymore. The prison system is a joke, it's a slap on the wrist and career criminals are taking advantages of it.
I'm all for the death penalty. The cost of commiting a crime is much higher when getting caught means dying.

Do it Saudi arabia style: rapists get their penis cut and you'll see how much rape will decline.
Start jailing drug users: no demand, no supply.

Stop being so lenient.

Murder- death
Rape- death
Assault- 20 years
Armed robbery- 20 years
Drug trafficing/distribution- death
Drug posession- 10 years
sodomy- 5 years
Theft- 15 years
petty theft- 5 years

And stop wasting public money and time by having a divorce take 2 years to resolve in court. It should be dealt with in a matter of weeks, 2-3 months at best.
It's a joke that it takes 2 minutes to sign a paper and get married but that long to get divorced.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Axion
very controversial :judge:

Some of what you wrote seems reasonable, but five years for petty theft?

it should be resolved with fines and/or community service!

He that will steal an egg will steal an ox.
Ridiculous

I dunno what's stupider, death for forcibly having sex with somebody or 5 years for consentual sex between 2 men.

Idiotic post.
Reply 3
Original post by Axion
very controversial :judge:

Some of what you wrote seems reasonable, but five years for petty theft?

it should be resolved with fines and/or community service!

Agreed. stupid to have 5 years for that.
Reply 4
America does this kind of sentencing. I mean I don't know but I assume this makes it a paradise with almost no one in prison due to fear of the harsh sentences.
Reply 5
Original post by Mr Dangermouse
Ridiculous

I dunno what's stupider, death for forcibly having sex with somebody or 5 years for consentual sex between 2 men.

Idiotic post.

I said nothing about consentual sex between 2 men, I talked about sodomy.

Sodomy brings on many diseases such as HIV and Herpes. Homosexuals can still safely engage in oral sex.
Reply 6
Original post by Norton1
America does this kind of sentencing. I mean I don't know but I assume this makes it a paradise with almost no one in prison due to fear of the harsh sentences.

Not true, it takes on average 20 years for a death sentence inmate to get killed.
Manson is still in prison FYI.
Reply 7
Original post by teehee2234
Agreed. stupid to have 5 years for that.

He that will steal an egg will steal an ox.

Just like serial murders first start with animals.
Reply 8
Original post by facdroit
Not true, it takes on average 20 years for a death sentence inmate to get killed.

I know Manson is still in prison...would someone who even knows who he is not know that?

Some load of old ****e about eggs and oxes

You do know that policy making is not made entirely on the basis of sayings?

I mean:

Men's evil manners live in brass; their virtues we write in water

That's pretty difficult to legislate for. I suppose you could write when people have been bad on brass...somewhere...but then brass prices would go up. And as for writing in water. That's pretty difficult man.
Reply 9
Original post by Axion
really?

So he who steals an ox will steal a jumbo jet?

You can't steal a jumbo jet smartass.

You fail at understanding the philosophy behind this saying.
Reply 10
Original post by Axion
really?

So he who steals an ox will steal a jumbo jet?

Nah buddy, it goes

Egg> Ox > Horse> Car > Jumbo Jet

Going up the transport scale you see.
10 years for posession of drugs. How can you justify that? If someone want to take drugs, then why should you stop them? I agree, if you take drugs that have an adverse effect on others, but the majority do no such thing. So how do you justify imprisonment for something which only effects the individual, it's their body after all, and not you?

EDIT: If you are going to neg me, at least justify it. If I neg anybody, I always explain to them why- simply negging me for no reason is stupid.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Norton1
I know Manson is still in prison...would someone who even knows who he is not know that?

You do know that policy making is not made entirely on the basis of sayings?

I mean:

That's pretty difficult to legislate for. I suppose you could write when people have been bad on brass...somewhere...but then brass prices would go up. And as for writing in water. That's pretty difficult man.

You also fail at understanding the logic behind that sentence.

Okay fine, forget petty theft how can you defend sodomy?
I don't understand this. A rapist can serve 2-3 years in prison. A drunk driver that kills people will be unlucky if he serves any time at all. Violent criminals aren't even getting a decade anymore. The prison system is a joke, it's a slap on the wrist and career criminals are taking advantages of it.

Of course you don't understand it. Judges, and juries in serious cases, have the decades of experience and see the case and proof for themselves. You're nothing more than a bystander scoffing at sensationalist headlines about how a certain rapist or murderer got a certain sentence. As for sentencing including death penalty, what does this have to do with the courts?

I'm all for the death penalty. The cost of commiting a crime is much higher when getting caught means dying.

Do it Saudi arabia style: rapists get their penis cut and you'll see how much rape will decline.

Along with studies into the high costs of a death penality over life imprisonment, I'm pretty sure research has found that the threat of a death penalty didn't deter criminals/lead to falling rates of crime.

And stop wasting public money and time by having a divorce take 2 years to resolve in court. It should be dealt with in a matter of weeks, 2-3 months at best.
It's a joke that it takes 2 minutes to sign a paper and get married but that long to get divorced.

It diminishes the point and value of a marriage if it's something you can get out of in 2 weeks. You're also forgetting the adverse affect divorce might have on children and the possibility of reconciliation between the parties.
Reply 14
You can't steal a jumbo jet smartass.

You fail at understanding the philosophy behind this saying.

Pretty difficult to steal an Ox in this country too.
Reply 15
As much as I felt the same way before I started my Criminology degree, after studying for three years I have to now tell you that what you believe is actually untrue in certain respects.

The Death Penalty does not work as a deterrent to other people to stop them commiting crime. Numerous studies, and one in particular by Sorensen et al in 1999 found that there was no evidence for the deterrent hypothesis in Texas (The most prolific death sentence user in America).

In respect to the use of long sentences in prison for murderers, murderers in the UK have been found to have the lowest recidivism rates out of all the different kinds of offenders that there are.

I do believe that the system is too leniant on those offenders who are particulary dangerous to society (such as serious sex offenders) but in terms of other offenders that exist, it has been proven that prison does not work (excuse me for using Labours rhetoric). Community punishments which allow real reparation to be done are much more effective, and cheaper as well!
What's the sentence for creating stupid threads? 5 years min, surely?
Reply 17

Manson isn't on death row never was.
Reply 18
You also fail at understanding the logic behind that sentence.

Okay fine, forget petty theft how can you defend sodomy?

Do you mean sodomy as in anal rape or sodomy as in consensual homosexual intercourse? Either way you're an idiot; in the former because you've decided to make it significantly less serious than rape in your wacky scheme, and in the latter because it's not 1423.
Our sentencing if anything is too harsh at the moment, and it's morons like the OP who think that mere punitivism is a legitimate goal of sentencing who make it thus. Our main aims in sentencing should be to restore things to how they were before and to rehabilitate the offender, so that they can still have a life regardless of how heinous you feel their crimes were.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending