The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Cardiff University 2012 Firmers

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Plutonium
As much as the word 'firmers' annoys me, it seems the best way to sum up this thread. Many of the other threads seem a little out of date or not as relevant, so I thought I would start up a new one.

For anyone who has made Cardiff their firm choice for September, this is a place to discuss accommodation, courses and anything else really.

So to kick start the posts (I will laugh if no one else posts), i've placed Senghennydd Court as my first choice as I will be studying Astrophysics! :smile:

ps, if any one has actually already started such a thread, please let me know.

Also hoping to study astrophysics, with senghennydd court as my first choice!
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 21
Original post by never too late
Firmed Cardiff for Law with French! :smile:

Still in a dilemma about which accommodation to choose, and really stressing out as it's first come first served! Anybody else really like the look of University Hall? Only problem is it's a really long distance from the city and main campus...

I really liked the look of it - apparently the rooms are much bigger and often of a better standard.

However, personally it seems a little too far out (slightly more than Taly) and my Aunt and Uncle who lived in the area informed me Uni Hall is in a quite quiet really residential area, where the rest of the accommodation is on a more major road with a lot more going on ie. bars, buses etc

I suppose it comes down to your priorities. Apparently Uni Hall has an almost collegiate feel to it though - since they are far out, they band together! (and you don't have to walk during the day as the uni bus drops you off outside the SU)

In the end it ended up quite low on my application - I wanted to be in the most social place (at least for the first year) because I'm not the most confident person and I thought it would be easier to meet and get to know people through Taly :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 22
Thought I'd just include the youtube videos I managed to find of Cardiff's accommodation for anyone who would like to see them:

UNIVERSITY HALL:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UztRSJNCqCw&list=FLApzjHK5G9UVbPs3nnmmLWA&index=5&feature=plpp_video

TALYBONT NORTH:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkQHL_KH4kY&list=FLApzjHK5G9UVbPs3nnmmLWA&index=6&feature=plpp_video

TALYBONT COURT:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saGtSgMxV1M
Original post by H011y94
I really liked the look of it - apparently the rooms are much bigger and often of a better standard.

However, personally it seems a little too far out (slightly more than Taly) and my Aunt and Uncle who lived in the area informed me Uni Hall is in a quite quiet really residential area, where the rest of the accommodation is on a more major road with a lot more going on ie. bars, buses etc

I suppose it comes down to your priorities. Apparently Uni Hall has an almost collegiate feel to it though - since they are far out, they band together! (and you don't have to walk during the day as the uni bus drops you off outside the SU)

In the end it ended up quite low on my application - I wanted to be in the most social place (at least for the first year) because I'm not the most confident person and I thought it would be easier to meet and get to know people through Taly :smile:

I went to go and visit Cardiff yesterday to look at the different accommodation. You're completely right about Uni Halls, but I still really liked it despite it being so far out. As it was beautiful weather, all the students were sunbathing outside in the grounds, and it had a really relaxed atmosphere. It is set in a residential area, but not sure if that's a bad thing really, plus Roath park is a minutes walk away where there is a huge boating lake! It is quite a walk though for when the buses aren't running :/

I decided that I would still rather be in Taly, but wasn't as keen on Court as it's so close to the main road. As for the city itself, yesterday really confirmed to me how fantastic it is! The Olympic torch came to Cardiff, which I was lucky enough to see, plus there was a huge concert in Bute Park because of it. Emilie Sande was playing, and I managed to watch her for ages, as there was a walkway still open that was cut off from the main concert! Thanks for the video links, really helpful!
Reply 24
Firmed Cardiff for Biomedical Science & first choice accommodation is Senghennydd Hall :smile: mainly due to how close it actually is to the city. Can't wait for September!! just fingers crossed i get the grades! :L
Reply 25
Firmed for Optometry!
Accomodation:
taly court
south
north
aberdare hall
colum hall
university hall
I've firmed pharmacy and talybont south as my first choice :biggrin: anyone else doing pharmacy?
Reply 27
Original post by GSM.
Firmed Cardiff for Biomedical Science & first choice accommodation is Senghennydd Hall :smile: mainly due to how close it actually is to the city. Can't wait for September!! just fingers crossed i get the grades! :L

Firmed for Biomed as well! Where did you put as your insurance just out of interest? Taly court is my first for accommodation :smile:
Reply 28
Hey guys!

I'm a Cardiff University student doing Business Economics, coming to the end of my second year here- 2/3 the way through, scary stuff! If anyone has any questions about anything, don't hesistate to ask- I've been here long enough so I should be able to answer you!!

X
Reply 29
Original post by krizz1992
Hey guys!

I'm a Cardiff University student doing Business Economics, coming to the end of my second year here- 2/3 the way through, scary stuff! If anyone has any questions about anything, don't hesistate to ask- I've been here long enough so I should be able to answer you!!

X

ooo where did you stay first year?
It's scary to think i'll (hopefully) be spending almost the same amount of time at uni as at secondary school

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by thelooby94
I've firmed pharmacy and talybont south as my first choice :biggrin: anyone else doing pharmacy?

yep me too and ive also firmed talybont south
Original post by krizz1992
Hey guys!

X

is the uni easy to get around? are the facilities for cyclists good?
Reply 33
Original post by rachbeanz
ooo where did you stay first year?

Original post by levantine
is the uni easy to get around? are the facilities for cyclists good?

rachbeanz, I stayed in talybont south! It's a really good place to live, fair price, not a bad location, and the flats themselves are nice. Also theres a shop onsite... well there was last year but i've heard rumours that it's closed since...where are you applying + what are you studying?

levantine, Yeah its easy, on most courses you'll have lectures / tutorials all across the uni, not just in one school. But it's all pretty close from the main building to the business school ( the two furthest away buildings) it takes 10 minutes walking, tops. As for cyclists, yeah there are plenty of bike racks, so you should have no problems there :smile:

X
Reply 34
I've firmed an offer for computer science with forensics and security. Applied for senghennydd halls :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by levantine
yep me too and ive also firmed talybont south

Yay! I can't wait
Reply 36
I'm a first year at the moment, and I'd deffo recommend Taly North - it's really not as far as people are suggesting, it only takes me 20 minutes to get to lectures (humanities, psychology, law or main buildings), and it's not as loud as you might think, in North anyway!
Reply 37
Original post by hpotter217
Firmed for Biomed as well! Where did you put as your insurance just out of interest? Taly court is my first for accommodation :smile:

Hey :smile: I don't have an insurance as I was a medicine applicant :/ so I reaaally hope I meet my offer :L how about you? Talybont court is my second choice :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by never too late
That sounds like a good idea! Only trouble is I want everything...nice surroundings, close to lectures, cheap (ish), en suite, good atmosphere but not too loud aha! As I never made it to the initial open day, i'm at a bit of a disadvantage as I never saw any of the halls, so I've decided to go down for another visit and check them out :smile:

I've only seen Colum and Senghennydd :P I was going purely on pictures and what other people have said (plus cost and distances). Another visit is a good idea :smile:
Reply 39
Original post by sco99tt
Also hoping to study astrophysics, with senghennydd court as my first choice!

THIS IS FANTASTIC :biggrin: I was starting to worry there were only 3 applicants who had actually firmed Cardiff for Astrophysics :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending