The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by pipsi
Thanks on the tip on melatonin. It's worth a try I suppose and I can always stop taking it if I find it's playing havoc with my body. Where would I get it from? A health food shop? Boots?

Melatonin is now prescription only
Original post by pipsi
Thanks on the tip on melatonin. It's worth a try I suppose and I can always stop taking it if I find it's playing havoc with my body. Where would I get it from? A health food shop? Boots?

You'd have to buy it online...google shopping or health food websites (eg: http://www.healthmonthly.co.uk ) i bought this one: Swanson Melatonin. I would recommend you reduce the dose by opening the capsule, taking a little out (i don't have accurate measuring scales but use them if you do) and puting some of the powder into a glass of water. This is because each capsule is 3mg (which is quite a lot) you want to be taking 0.3-0.5mg on your first try. Hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 22
Wouldn't recommend buying anything like this online!!!!!!!!!
Reply 23
I might mention it to my Dr when I go back.
Reply 24
Original post by pipsi
I might mention it to my Dr when I go back.

How is your sleep atm? :frown:
Reply 25
Original post by morris743
How is your sleep atm? :frown:

I didn't take anything the night before last, went to bed early but just tossed and turned all night, at one point I had a dream so i must have been sleeping for some of it but i just felt as if i was just lying in bed with the lights off all night. Woke up properly at about 0530 and feeling too tired to get up but unable to get back to sleep I lay in bed with a book for a couple of hours and got up about 7ish.

Tried to have an afternoon nap yesterday but again just ended up lying in bed for a couple of hours and didn't actually sleep.

I took a sleeping pill last night after a couple hours of trying to sleep, partly because some of my housemates where talking in the sitting room which is next door to my bedroom and I could hear every word they said which wasn't helping. After an hour or so of taking the tablet I began to nod off and had a fairly uninterrupted sleep until someone got up during the night and slammed a door on their way to or from the bathroom. Must have fallen back to sleep again as I was asleep when my alarm went off at 0700.

So all in all not very good over the last couple of nights, I feel like i had what must have amounted to a decent number of hours last night, but still feel groggy three hours after getting up presumably due to the tablets. Funny thing is my Dr told me I shouldn't have any groggyness the next day with these. Perhaps I ought to start taking them earlier when I want to go to bed instead of trying to fall asleep naturally for a few hours first. Might try taking one at 2130 tonight and seeing if I can get a long sleep in and wake at my normal time without feeling groggy for most of the morning.

Although it is supposed to be helping with my sleeping, it's not working fantastically well and the groggyness the next day is making it very hard to concentrate on any work until about half way through the afternoon.

How about you?
Reply 26
Original post by pipsi
I didn't take anything the night before last, went to bed early but just tossed and turned all night, at one point I had a dream so i must have been sleeping for some of it but i just felt as if i was just lying in bed with the lights off all night. Woke up properly at about 0530 and feeling too tired to get up but unable to get back to sleep I lay in bed with a book for a couple of hours and got up about 7ish.

Tried to have an afternoon nap yesterday but again just ended up lying in bed for a couple of hours and didn't actually sleep.

I took a sleeping pill last night after a couple hours of trying to sleep, partly because some of my housemates where talking in the sitting room which is next door to my bedroom and I could hear every word they said which wasn't helping. After an hour or so of taking the tablet I began to nod off and had a fairly uninterrupted sleep until someone got up during the night and slammed a door on their way to or from the bathroom. Must have fallen back to sleep again as I was asleep when my alarm went off at 0700.

So all in all not very good over the last couple of nights, I feel like i had what must have amounted to a decent number of hours last night, but still feel groggy three hours after getting up presumably due to the tablets. Funny thing is my Dr told me I shouldn't have any groggyness the next day with these. Perhaps I ought to start taking them earlier when I want to go to bed instead of trying to fall asleep naturally for a few hours first. Might try taking one at 2130 tonight and seeing if I can get a long sleep in and wake at my normal time without feeling groggy for most of the morning.

Although it is supposed to be helping with my sleeping, it's not working fantastically well and the groggyness the next day is making it very hard to concentrate on any work until about half way through the afternoon.

How about you?

I'm so bad that I couldn't even finish off reading this post lol...hope you are ok soon if not already.
Wouldn't recommend buying anything like this online!!!!!!!!!

Is buying stuff online a bad thing? ..oops..do a lot of this!
I was prescribed Zopiclone for insomnia, and told to take 'half to one 7.5mg tablet a night' with the 'half' part of the instructions underlined twice, so I think it is expected that 3.75mg should be enough (in some cases) to help you sleep. Personally I've found the 3.75 dose to be mostly fine - I've only had to take a whole tablet if I've been taking them too frequently and built up a bit of a tolerance.

I am wondering if it might be something to do with weight, though...? I'm tall but slight so that might have something to do with the dose I was prescribed. Just speculation, though. I guess it might be the same for you, OP.
Reply 29
In terms of melatonin, I don't think there is any clinical proof of any long term side effects. It is simply a boost to your body's natural sleeping system, and does not suffer from the side effects of other prescription sleeping pills. You can buy it like paracetamol in almost any country in the world, it is only really in the UK where they feel the need to put it on prescription (for financial rather than health reasons I feel). In terms of getting it, my dad spends a lot of time working in Hong Kong and the US so he picks up the bottles when he's there. I suppose if you could ask your doctor for a prescription trial and then if it works and you know anyone traveling they could get some for you?

I have also used 10mg zolpidem and found them to be completely useless after one night. On the other hand, I then switched to something else - really sorry but can't remember the name - and 3.75mg of that works brilliantly. So I guess if something isn't working for you, then I would recommend going back to your GP and asking to try a different medication. Hopefully you've got a decent GP whose not automatically averse to prescribing, it is their job after all!

Good Luck xx
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by RedLizzie
In terms of melatonin, I don't think there is any clinical proof of any long term side effects. It is simply a boost to your body's natural sleeping system, and does not suffer from the side effects of other prescription sleeping pills. You can buy it like paracetamol in almost any country in the world, it is only really in the UK where they feel the need to put it on prescription (for financial rather than health reasons I feel). In terms of getting it, my dad spends a lot of time working in Hong Kong and the US so he picks up the bottles when he's there. I suppose if you could ask your doctor for a prescription trial and then if it works and you know anyone traveling they could get some for you?

I have also used 10mg zolpidem and found them to be completely useless after one night. On the other hand, I then switched to something else - really sorry but can't remember the name - and 3.75mg of that works brilliantly. So I guess if something isn't working for you, then I would recommend going back to your GP and asking to try a different medication. Hopefully you've got a decent GP whose not automatically averse to prescribing, it is their job after all!

Good Luck xx

TY for this :smile: :smile:
Reply 31
Original post by comeluckyapril
I was prescribed Zopiclone for insomnia, and told to take 'half to one 7.5mg tablet a night' with the 'half' part of the instructions underlined twice, so I think it is expected that 3.75mg should be enough (in some cases) to help you sleep. Personally I've found the 3.75 dose to be mostly fine - I've only had to take a whole tablet if I've been taking them too frequently and built up a bit of a tolerance.

I am wondering if it might be something to do with weight, though...? I'm tall but slight so that might have something to do with the dose I was prescribed. Just speculation, though. I guess it might be the same for you, OP.

Size is a good theory, although, I'm quite small, and weigh less than 100lbs so you'd imagine I wouldn't need a very strong dose, but the maximum seems to have little effect on me. I haven't built up a tolerance either, it has had little effect on me since the first time I took it and I've only had ten tablets since I was prescribed it three weeks ago.
Reply 32
sleeping pills dont work for me until really early in the morning
Reply 33
Could try something stronger like diazepam, lorazepam or temazepam. All addictive but used sparingly can be of great benefit.
Reply 34
Original post by Dan9878
Could try something stronger like diazepam, lorazepam or temazepam. All addictive but used sparingly can be of great benefit.

Hmm why do you think zopiclone doesn't work for everyone? Do you think at least one of those you suggested will save my life? :biggrin:

Thanks for posting :smile:
Reply 35
Hmm why do you think zopiclone doesn't work for everyone? Do you think at least one of those you suggested will save my life? :biggrin:

Thanks for posting :smile:

Ye zopiclone doesn't work for everyone. It didn't work for me.

Diazepam/ loraz works for me. I take once or twice a week at most.
Reply 36
Original post by Dan9878
Ye zopiclone doesn't work for everyone. It didn't work for me.

Diazepam/ loraz works for me. I take once or twice a week at most.

Thanks :smile: Any side effects / big negatives from those?
Also - I've got months and months and months of sleep to catch up on. Do you think these would do this? :redface:
I hate to sound rude but it could also be partly psychological now if it's been going on so long. I sleep really badly every Sunday (talking like 2 hours sleep) and I know part of the reason is because I think I won't sleep so it's gotten into a pattern.
Reply 38
Original post by hannah_dru
I hate to sound rude but it could also be partly psychological now if it's been going on so long. I sleep really badly every Sunday (talking like 2 hours sleep) and I know part of the reason is because I think I won't sleep so it's gotten into a pattern.

Hmm :frown: I like to think of myself as a matter of fact person. But perhaps you are correct. You don't seem to have conquered Sundays though, so how do I? And you weren't rude at all.
Hmm :frown: I like to think of myself as a matter of fact person. But perhaps you are correct. You don't seem to have conquered Sundays though, so how do I? And you weren't rude at all.

Sometimes I sleep ok but it depends on how active I've been mentally and if I can fix my mindset then. I've managed to fix it so I wasn't like this every day which was due to hypnotherapy.

Latest