The Student Room Group

AQA Physics A - PHYA4 (11/06/12) - Exam thread

Poll

What do you think the boundary for an A will be?

Hey guys! Didn't see a thread for this exam so I thought I'd create one for people to share revision tips and any other preparation for this exam really.

I created a Mediafire folder with all the current past papers and mark schemes for PHYA4 including Jan 12. There aren't that many as it's a new syllabus, so you can get the legacy ones off of the AQA site if you like. Here's the link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?5wtss1w13uvko

Theres also PHYA5 stuff and the Data Sheet as well if you need it!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So we've all done it, and we're probably all sitting in our bedrooms crying about how university is now out of the window... :tongue: I joke, it was a very hard paper but don't worry people I'm sure the boundaries will reflect it.

My best guess for grade boundaries would be:

A* - 50
A - 44
B - 38

etc... But once again that's just a guess based on how much harder I thought the paper was than past papers. Remember that TSRians represent a bunch that does better than the average candidate (bunch of try hards we are) so what one of us thinks is an easy/hard paper might be hard/a damn load harder for everyone else. The AS stuff is bound to throw marks down the drain for some people (for the 3 marker on electron excitement anyway) and the 3 mark part of the momentum question was a tricky one.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by icedragon
Here's the link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?5wtss1w13uvko

Theres also PHYA5 stuff and the Data Sheet as well if you need it!

Cheers, this is gonna be a huge help :smile:
Reply 2
Anyone else not do maths and find this exam terrible? I was happy with it before the exam in Jan, but when it came to it I just froze and came out with a D. Need to get an A this time round and past papers so far going well! Anyone know how similar the legacy papers are or is it a completely different spec/set up?
Reply 3
Retaking this exam, but i have mainly been focussed on unit 5 and my other subjects :s
Guys can we have a skype group for those who are taking the physics unit 4 exam on 11/06/12

My skype ID: ahamedcassim

Cheers! :smile:
Reply 5
How's everyone's revision coming along? For some bizarre reason, unit 4 seems much easier now; still think unit 5 is better though tbh :beard:
Reply 6
Everyone here doing Unit 5, what options are you studying, eg Astrophysics, Apllied, Turning points or Medical??
Reply 7
I am actually doing Turning Points and it is so much easier than Unit 4!
Reply 8
hate retaking unit 4 :/ it does seem a lot easier than before though :smile: and i'm doing Turning points in physics.

Any ideas on the 6 marker guys?
Reply 9
I always spend too much time on the multiple choice questions and then run out out time for sectionB :frown:
Reply 10
Can someone pls help me with this question?

The electric potential at a distance r from a positive point charge is 45V. The potential increases to 50V when the distance from the charge decreases by 1.5m. What is the value of r?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by Meh_
Can someone pls help me with this question?

The electric potential at a distance r from a positive point charge is 45V. The potential increases to 50V when the distance from the charge decreases by 1.5m. What is the value of r?

Thanks in advance :smile:

I was having trouble with that too. Answered here

:smile:
Need help with a question, but can't seem to find it :colondollar: It was something along of the lines of, what is the gravitational field strength of a planet with both, a density and radius twice that of Earth? The answer was 4F I think. Anyone?

EDIT: Need to clear something else up too. Are these phase relationships in SHM correct?
Velocity and displacement = pi/2
Velocity and acceleration = pi/2
Acceleration and displacement = pi

Thanks.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Any ideas what might come up in the exam ?
Original post by number23
Any ideas what might come up in the exam ?

As far as I'm aware they haven't given a 6 marker on resonance yet; and both circular motion and gravitational fields were barely examined, if at all, on the last paper :yy:
Reply 15
theres a lot of things they haven't given a six marker on yet :/
Reply 16
quick survey of six marker questions so far:

january 2010 - transformers
june 2010 - momentum
january 2011 - capacitors
june 2011 - high-voltage transmission
january 2011 - electromagnetic induction
Does anyone have the answers to the examination style questions in the textbook?
Reply 18
SHM: 'The frequency and Time period don't depend on the amplitude' could someone try and explain why ? because the equation a= -(2 x pi x f )^2 x A (A being max displacement) Links them both together. Cheers in advance! :biggrin:
Reply 19
Original post by internet tough guy
Does anyone have the answers to the examination style questions in the textbook?

Think this should work, here are the ones for Unit 4

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending