The Student Room Group

The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wildman
Hurry up and reply to me chambers

I'M GOING MAD

any rejections/interviews much apprectiated

thanks

Me too :frown: my friend has had 5 rejections and 1 invite to interview. I've had 1 rejection!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by AbelH
well so far this year 1 interview and 1 rejection from OLPAS.

Yep, me too! Still waiting on the outcome of the first interview too. Any ideas as to how long it usually takes to get an offer of second interview or, more likely, a rejection? This is my first round of pupillage applications :smile:.

Thanks!

MT
Reply 962
Hey guys,

Has anyone else got an interview at Blackstones?

LL
Original post by LawLegend
Hey guys,

LL

Awww not heard yet - guess that's a bad sign then!
Original post by LawLegend
Hey guys,

LL

I've got one. Super nervous!

Lxxxxx
Rejections are out by Email for Fenners Chambers

:frown:
Original post by LuckyForSome
Rejections are out by Email for Fenners Chambers

:frown:

Yeah - interviews went out yesterday (I had to feign happiness as my friend got their email through..). The email today merely confirmed my suspicions.
Reply 967
How did you hear from Blackstones??
Reply 968
According to pupillage pages: have you heard- interview invites and rejections are coming out via email for Matrix. Anyone heard anything?

Reply 969
Invites to 25 Bedford Row interview out by email a couple of minutes ago.
Original post by zsi
According to pupillage pages: have you heard- interview invites and rejections are coming out via email for Matrix. Anyone heard anything?

Just received an email rejection, fingers crossed for you!
Reply 971
Original post by zsi

I didn't apply but I know someone who has been rejected. She got it by email I think.
Reply 972
Original post by orange_balloon
Just received an email rejection, fingers crossed for you!

Rejection too! Ah well- very much expected. Good luck to anyone else :smile:

Reply 973
Hey all,

I'm currently a GDL student and recently had my first foray in into the world of assessments for pupillage. I was required to write a chronology and a schedule of issues from a set of instructions given by an instructing solicitor. I'm fairly sure they marked the assessment without taking into account what academic stage each person was at. I didn't feel I cocked it up but at the same time I wasn't really sure what was expected of me for each task. I've done a lot of minis and marshalling but still felt fairly unprepared for such a specific task.

I'm hoping to have more interviews before I start the BPTC next year and am trying to have a think about what I can do to prepare myself for these kinds of written assessments. Any suggestions would be more than welcome- perhaps a list of the kinds of documents barristers would be expected to draft (or that you learn to draft on the BPTC) or a particular book on drafting (if there is such a thing)?

Thanks all.
Original post by Ewok
Hey all,

I'm currently a GDL student and recently had my first foray in into the world of assessments for pupillage. I was required to write a chronology and a schedule of issues from a set of instructions given by an instructing solicitor. I'm fairly sure they marked the assessment without taking into account what academic stage each person was at. I didn't feel I cocked it up but at the same time I wasn't really sure what was expected of me for each task. I've done a lot of minis and marshalling but still felt fairly unprepared for such a specific task.

I'm hoping to have more interviews before I start the BPTC next year and am trying to have a think about what I can do to prepare myself for these kinds of written assessments. Any suggestions would be more than welcome- perhaps a list of the kinds of documents barristers would be expected to draft (or that you learn to draft on the BPTC) or a particular book on drafting (if there is such a thing)?

Thanks all.

The documents you were asked to draft are fairly straightforward and you may not have done as bad as you think. A chronology is merely a list of events in order. A schedule of issues is also self explanatory - a schedule setting out the issues of each party.

I have a feeling that the assessment you had was not so much a test of your drafting skills, but of your ability to read papers and pick out the important information.
I agree with Inner Temple. I'm sure you'll have done better than you think. Also, yes, there are a number of different books available on drafting. You'll get one on your first day of the BVC. Be sure to take a suitcase (seriously) as the drafting book is just one of many.
Matrix rejection!
Nothing from 25 Bedford Row though :s

In terms of interviews for pre-BPTC students - how many is probably average? 4/5? Any insight is appreciated!
Original post by Wildman
4 to 5 would be a very good summer if you are pre BPTC.

Nothing from me from 25 Bedford. Perhaps I have got my wish posted earlier that I receive either an interview or rejection today. Be careful what you wish for I guess.

Ah was just going for a random number there to gauge the response whether it was too high - thanks for the reply. I've not got any interviews yet but so far 3 rejections (if we count 6KBW, which at this stage definitely is a rejection). Have to wait and see with 25 Bedford - fingers crossed for batches :wink:
Original post by tnedutS waL
Matrix rejection!
Nothing from 25 Bedford Row though :s

In terms of interviews for pre-BPTC students - how many is probably average? 4/5? Any insight is appreciated!

I think it depends entirely on the strength of the applications. This might not be a universal truth, but the only people I know who got pupillage during the GDL had Oxbridge firsts. I had 8 first round interviews while on the GDL, and did not get pupillage that year.

Last year I had fewer interviews, but managed to get pupillage. I'd say it's not so much about the number you get, but being able to capitalise on those you do get.

Very best of luck!
Original post by Budding Barista
I think it depends entirely on the strength of the applications. This might not be a universal truth, but the only people I know who got pupillage during the GDL had Oxbridge firsts. I had 8 first round interviews while on the GDL, and did not get pupillage that year.

Last year I had fewer interviews, but managed to get pupillage. I'd say it's not so much about the number you get, but being able to capitalise on those you do get.

Very best of luck!

Thanks!

I am not actually in the mindset that I will be able to secure a pupillage this year, I am (like most, I think) expecting a couple of years of applications - especially being pre-BPTC. It's just the interview experience this year will be indispensable for subsequent years!

Quick Reply

Latest