The Student Room Group

OCR Classical Greek G3 29 May 2012+G4 1 June 2012

Anyone taking these papers this summer?

How are people preparing?

What will you choose for G4, unseen passage or prose composition?
Reply 1
I didn't even see this thread

very nervous for tomorrow :afraid:

I'll be doing the unseen passage in G4 :yep:
Reply 2
can we discuss this exam yet?
Reply 3
I think so :P how did you find it? Did you study Euripedes or Aristophanes?
Reply 4
Euripedes... I thought the essays were fairly generous if I'm honest, but the translation was harder than the two they've done before. You?
Reply 5
I did Euripides.

Original post by paddypower
Euripedes... I thought the essays were fairly generous if I'm honest, but the translation was harder than the two they've done before. You?

Agreed, I thought the translation was fairly challenging. Hoping for generous grade boundaries :crossedf:
Reply 6
I quite liked the paper - did language first to give myself more time for the lit and ended up writing about four sides for part a and then getting major writers cramp after two and a half pages of b :eek: (I'd done Class Civ in the morning as well)

One thing I was wondering about the scansion question on the language section - how did people scan this part?

κεινω τε κἀμοι

I did "long-long-short-long | long-etc." but was uncertain about κἀ at first, but decided it had to be long as it was a contraction of και which is long anyway.
Reply 7
short long short long | long long short long | short long short (short/long)

long long short long | long long short long | short long short long

Is what I got for the scansion, so I agree with you there.

I agree with previous posters - the Euripedes questions allowed you to show your knowledge really well, I thought they were much better than previous year's questions.

As for the passage - I think it was quite easy to get the general gist since the vocab was pretty standard, but may come unstuck with some of the specifics - had to stretch the meaning of some words to make sense, although I guess that is what you have to do with poetry. The questions on the passage seemed more straightforward than the translation itself.
Reply 8
Never again shall I translate another Xenophon passage...
I thought this paper was slightly easier, thoughts?
Reply 9
Original post by paddypower
Never again shall I translate another Xenophon passage...
I thought this paper was slightly easier, thoughts?

Agreed, thought that it was slightly easier, especially the grammar questions :biggrin:
Nevertheless, I think I may have gone a bit wonky on the first sentence of the unseen, but should still be able to get 2 or 3 marks on it.
Reply 10
i didn't have enough time to finish the unseen in g3. Im really uncertain about the questions apart from the translation

in g4 i ended up doing the prose composition as some of the vocab had come up last year as well.

Quick Reply

Latest