The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by und
Is that excluding all the combinatorics questions? I can never tell whether I've got the right answer with those. :rolleyes:

Yes - discounting combinatorics. :lol:

Original post by wcp100
It isn't always a prove that question and certainly in STEP II there are ones where you form an expression, not knowing what it's meant to look like.

There was something on the STEP prep thread about one of the guys had his paper marked by and examiner and the arithmetic error was penalised heavily. Which surprised everyone.

I was speaking for STEP I. I guess so... The type of questions that appeal to me are generally like the ones I have described, though. :tongue:

Eeeeek - I'd best be careful then as I am a pro at making silly errors. :zomg:
Original post by wcp100
I didn't mean to say excuses I mean cases.

I did wonder for a while but then I figured it out. :smile:

They do, don't they? :rolleyes:
Original post by wcp100
Yes I am. Thank god it wasn't just me.

What "other" things? At least we don't have to make a decision until fairly late on.

The main reason is (I think if anyone can understand this it may be you guys):

I want to prove (to myself) that I'm choosing not to do maths not because I'm not good enough, but because I want to do something else instead. It was something my Physics teacher mentioned offhand, but it really stuck, and it made me wonder. I want to choose the best subject, or what I'd enjoy the most regardless of difficulty. But I'm not sure if part of the reason I'm drifting away from maths is because it can be difficult or whether I genuinely prefer Science. But in either case, I don't want to shy away because it's too difficult. If anything, I feel like I have to do STEP 1 just to feel like I've beaten that demon.
Reply 3643
Original post by Maths_Lover
Thanks. :colondollar: I've been helping out with the housework and cooking for years as my family (including my extended family) come from traditional backgrounds. As the eldest daughter, it is my duty to be able to do any housework and cook. :wink:

However, it does mean that I can never get out of doing chores unless I have a broken arm or something. :lol: My parents came from poor families living in rural areas, so I can't use the "I'm studying for exams - let me off!" excuse because they'll just say: "When I was younger, we had to collect firewood, walk miles to the river to fetch water, hand wash all of the laundry and do the cooking... all while studying. :pierre:"

I don't mind, though as it's good preparation for when I am independent. :ahee: Also... I kinda like housework? Cleaning is quite relaxing. Also, it gives me a good feeling to know that the house is clean and that people have food to eat when they get home from work/school. :smile:

Surely there is? Just gather the ingredients and see if you can make some sort of on the spot dish with them.

I don't mind maths exams. :lol:

Ahhh. I used to do a lot of the cleaning and chores like that with my grandmother for similar reasons, the eldest girl in a strongly Catholic household where the matriarch was disabled :rolleyes: But they never trusted me with cooking or ironing :L
Ouch :/ At least you don't have to do that too I suppose!
It is good preparation indeed :yep: everyone will love you at uni if you can cook :tongue: I like cleaning too! It's just nicer to be in a nice environment :biggrin:
My mum isn't really big on cooking so we tend to eat shop bought food/ready meals quite a lot, hence not having anything you can make stuff out of.
I thought so :tongue:
Original post by Llewellyn

I want to prove (to myself) that I'm choosing not to do maths not because I'm not good enough, but because I want to do something else instead. It was something my Physics teacher mentioned offhand, but it really stuck, and it made me wonder. I want to choose the best subject, or what I'd enjoy the most regardless of difficulty. But I'm not sure if part of the reason I'm drifting away from maths is because it can be difficult or whether I genuinely prefer Science. But in either case, I don't want to shy away because it's too difficult. If anything, I feel like I have to do STEP 1 just to feel like I've beaten that demon.

I get what you are saying - I kinda felt like that with Physics. Best of luck with that. :smile:
Reply 3645

What do you want to do then? I mean I'm personally doing STEP as a challenge for myself. I don't get opportunity to do the Physics Olympiad and STEP is the only thing that moves towards physics. That's an interesting reason though.
Original post by Coco_94
How did Latin go today? - It was Latin, wasn't it?

Yes, a nice break. Then A2!

I think it went OK thanks, but again I find myself worrying about how easily I could have dropped a mark here and there since it's a subjective paper, perhaps adding up to put me below the A boundary.

Well, a two week break before A2 Maths for me. Still awesome though.
Let me put it better; I want to get a 1 or higher so I can choose physics or chemistry with full confidence. If I get below a 1, I will almost definitely apply for Maths. It's hard to explain why that is the case, and it may seem counter intuitive, but it's how I feel about it.

That's a really impressive attitude you have there Llewellyn!
I understand what you mean, though personally I'm not doing STEP. You're all much better than me anyway, though I'm not putting effort into that stuff because I'm to be an economics applicant anyway.
Original post by Etoile
Except those deities doing further maths :teehee:

:cool:
Reply 3650
Original post by ArsLongaVitaBrevis
That's a really impressive attitude you have there Llewellyn!
I understand what you mean, though personally I'm not doing STEP. You're all much better than me anyway, though I'm not putting effort into that stuff because I'm to be an economics applicant anyway.

You make economics sound like the easy route.
Original post by Etoile
I made a marble cake today and it is :sogood:

Give me some!
Reply 3652
Well I suppose it's back to decision when I go back to school.
Original post by Etoile
Ahhh. I used to do a lot of the cleaning and chores like that with my grandmother for similar reasons, the eldest girl in a strongly Catholic household where the matriarch was disabled :rolleyes: But they never trusted me with cooking or ironing :L
Ouch :/ At least you don't have to do that too I suppose!
It is good preparation indeed :yep: everyone will love you at uni if you can cook :tongue: I like cleaning too! It's just nicer to be in a nice environment :biggrin:
My mum isn't really big on cooking so we tend to eat shop bought food/ready meals quite a lot, hence not having anything you can make stuff out of.
I thought so :tongue:

:five: Awwwwww. :console: Ironing takes up so much time - thank goodness for the "reduce creases" button on the washing machine! :rofl:

Yes - I'm quite lucky when I think about it like that. :smile:

:awesome: It is! The messier the environment, the more it saddens me. I work best when the place is sparkling. :colone:

Aaaaaah. Encourage them to buy fresh produce or at least not processed foods and then you can experiment! It's so much fun. :ahee: Then you can cook healthy meals and encourage everyone to keep fit. :colone: These days, I basically control a lot of what is bought - my mum asks me what she should buy at the supermarket. :colone:

:ahee:
Reply 3654
wcp100

Mate, there was something about mechanics I wanted to ask you but I can't remember right now and I'm focusing on FP3 so could you remind me after friday, please? Thanks :smile:

Hope exams have been going well for you, btw :h:
Original post by wcp100
You make economics sound like the easy route.

Oh, that's not my aim at all. I mean I'm spending less time on meta-A-level maths and instead focusing on wider reading and essay competitions for Economics.
I'm not sure it's any easier, though feel free to disagree - Maths gets pretty hard pretty fast past sixth form!
Reply 3656
Original post by ElMoro
Mate, there was something about mechanics I wanted to ask you but I can't remember right now and I'm focusing on FP3 so could you remind me after friday, please? Thanks :smile:

Hope exams have been going well for you, btw :h:

Yeh, sure.
Original post by Etoile
:rofl:
Maybe you're just a... prune :tongue:

Maybe you're just a sour linguistic lemon :shakecane:
Reply 3658
"Makes me feel sick that i've been held back by missing key things in stupid lectures. Technology and Khan wins. Legend.
I'm doing my degree and i didn't know differentiating is for gradient!"

You've got to wonder.
Original post by wcp100
"Makes me feel sick that i've been held back by missing key things in stupid lectures. Technology and Khan wins. Legend.
I'm doing my degree and i didn't know differentiating is for gradient!"

You've got to wonder.

...What is that... I don't even...

Latest