The Student Room Group

The videos' picture on YouTube moves slower than the audio.

Well, for the past few days, whenever I've tried to watch a video on YouTube, it plays but the picture moves so slowly and even slower than the audio. Whenever I pause the video, the picture doesn't stop, it carries on for a little. I've tried changing the quality from 360 to 240 and although the problem is fixed I when I change to 240, the quality becomes absolutely horrendous. I've use Mozilla Firefox and I've got Windows XP. I've also downloaded the latest Flash. I'm getting really frustrated. What can I do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Kwaku_96
Well, for the past few days, whenever I've tried to watch a video on YouTube, it plays but the picture moves so slowly and even slower than the audio. Whenever I pause the video, the picture doesn't stop, it carries on for a little. I've tried changing the quality from 360 to 240 and although the problem is fixed I when I change to 240, the quality becomes absolutely horrendous. I've use Mozilla Firefox and I've got Windows XP. I've also downloaded the latest Flash. I'm getting really frustrated. What can I do?

Maybe it's your graphics, which is causing a lag between video and audio.
Is your graphics updated to the latest drivers?
drop the resolution?
Update drivers
Try a new browser? and make sure software for youtube is updated. (I think it is flash)
Reply 3
Original post by ELs123
drop the resolution?
Update drivers
Try a new browser? and make sure software for youtube is updated. (I think it is flash)

How do you drip the resolution?
I've tried changing to Google Chrome but it keeps saying that windows does not support it. Could I change to Mozilla Firefox Beta or Opera?
I get this problem occasionally and it's an internet connection issue. If I take my laptop further and further away from the router the problem gets progressively worse and worse because the video continues playing with the audio running fine but the picture freezes up for a few seconds then snaps forward. If you can play it fine at 240 (less data to download) but not at 360 I reckon that's probably the issue!
you might have it set to have the video play at 1080p, should be a little icon in the bottom of the video that lets you change the playback quality :smile:

Yea see if any other browser plays up. If they work fine it could be a browser issue.
Reply 6
Original post by IanDangerously
I get this problem occasionally and it's an internet connection issue. If I take my laptop further and further away from the router the problem gets progressively worse and worse because the video continues playing with the audio running fine but the picture freezes up for a few seconds then snaps forward. If you can play it fine at 240 (less data to download) but not at 360 I reckon that's probably the issue!

So what should I do? I mean, my computer is right next to the internet router and it's constantly flashing green (which means it's works fine). I'm really frustrated.
Reply 7
Original post by Iqbal007
Maybe it's your graphics, which is causing a lag between video and audio.
Is your graphics updated to the latest drivers?

Hmm... I think this could be the problem. Videos on other websites have this issue too, it isn't only YouTube. How do I get my graphics updated to the latest drivers though?
Reply 8
Hmm... I think this could be the problem. Videos on other websites have this issue too, it isn't only YouTube. How do I get my graphics updated to the latest drivers though?

Whats your graphics card called?
Reply 9
Whats your graphics card called?

Where can I find the graphics card on the computer? BTW my computer is an eMachines make.
Reply 10
Where can I find the graphics card on the computer? BTW my computer is an eMachines make.

Whats your emachine called?
The graphics card is inside your desktop.
Reply 11
Whats your emachine called?
The graphics card is inside your desktop.

eMachines 2230

I've also got Windows XP Service Pack 1.
Reply 12
eMachines 2230

I've also got Windows XP Service Pack 1.

I think the graphics are on board, so you've got to update the motherboard.
Reply 13
I think the graphics are on board, so you've got to update the motherboard.

Well, I've upgraded my computer to Windows XP Service Pack 3 (It was service pack 1 before).

I've downloaded the latest version of Mozilla Firefox.

But the problem is still there so I think I might reinstall Adobe Flash. I've currently got 11.
Reply 14
Well, I've upgraded my computer to Windows XP Service Pack 3 (It was service pack 1 before).

I've downloaded the latest version of Mozilla Firefox.

But the problem is still there so I think I might reinstall Adobe Flash. I've currently got 11.

Try that as well..........anything video related, uninstall then reinstall........otherwise it could be that the onboard graphics can't handle it anymore.
Reply 15
Try that as well..........anything video related, uninstall then reinstall........otherwise it could be that the onboard graphics can't handle it anymore.

If the onboard graphics no longer work, do I have to get a new computer.

Also, thank you for helping me. It means a lot to me.
Reply 16
If the onboard graphics no longer work, do I have to get a new computer.

Also, thank you for helping me. It means a lot to me.

It works, but it seems like the main issue, think it can't handle it too much....meaning it could be a software problem or your flash in general.

If it is dying, not necessarily, just stick in a graphics card, which should have the slot available as its using onboard graphics.
But I wouldn't be too sure, as your computers seriously old, its going for £30 on ebay :/
Reply 17
It works, but it seems like the main issue, think it can't handle it too much....meaning it could be a software problem or your flash in general.

If it is dying, not necessarily, just stick in a graphics card, which should have the slot available as its using onboard graphics.
But I wouldn't be too sure, as your computers seriously old, its going for £30 on ebay :/

Well, I reinstalled Adobe Flash 11 and the problem is still there. Should I contact a technician to check out my motherboard?

EDIT: I've checked my graphics card and there's 64.0 MB left (is that good?). My graphics card is Intel (R) 82845G Graphics Controller and support for it has been discontinued (sad times).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
Well, I reinstalled Adobe Flash 11 and the problem is still there. Should I contact a technician to check out my motherboard?

EDIT: I've checked my graphics card and there's 64.0 MB left (is that good?). My graphics card is Intel (R) 82845G Graphics Controller and support for it has been discontinued (sad times).

It should be more graphics related than motherboard......
have you got any games installed? If they have got issues, then its your graphics
Reply 19
It should be more graphics related than motherboard......
have you got any games installed? If they have got issues, then its your graphics

I don't have any games installed on my computer. So what should I do?

Quick Reply

Latest